d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > Meridius In Depth Casting Guide Volume 1.0 > For Ls Version 1.30.7
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 433.48
Trader: Trusted
Jun 7 2020 08:46am
Quote (Bigheaded @ 7 Jun 2020 02:29)
mage isn't using multicast. Otherwise this is correct.

Yes he is. It is one of two valid ways to play it. I actually prefer it

Given a 200ee charm is likely to cost you 10k+ and the 122ee+ level 55 dagger about 1.5-2k you are better off going for buying a EE dagger set, even if you have a casting dagger/armor/charm set.
So to be clear for newer players, I highly recommend against casting on samurai thru ninja unless you happen to own a 200+ ee damage charm.
For players with 200+ee damage charms, here's a lovely guide if you fancy offcast :P
There's 2 reasons to do this.
1. Temporary offcasting until you get enough warlocks in your guild. It's not uncommon to see a group of mostly paladin/monks/ninjas within the first month of a reset. If you have the gear this can solve the ability to heal for when your group hits level 60 and heals become necessary.
2. Permanent casting The main point of doing this is you can highly specialize your proficiency as you will only need 2: lightning and wild heal (specifically so you can cast on HH). Can use other charms and have a cheap HH set, there's usually a few warlocks by now that a tank's usually helpful anyway.
Once your proficiency hits 25+, this starts being acceptable to cast on your offcaster classes. Until then you can still be expected to be outdamaged by players with worse gear than you. Eventually it may be possible to outdamage them due to casting mechanics.

Prof has nothing to do to be able to offcast or not. It is an ongoing bonus it this game
It also a good way to cast all classes besides headhunter. You need surprisingly low amount of equipment and it can be much cheaper than a melee set to outperform the offcasting.
You charm does not need to be 200ee+, as I wrote 170ee+ is sufficient

This will be dependent on your gear. This guide is specifically for players whom have excellent gear (or for mages/warlocks/alchemists whom are unsure of abilities). If you have both a t3 250+ mana 13+ int weapon and armor as well as t3 250+ mana 50+ee charm then i dont think you're going to struggle.
If you don't have that and you find it faster to melee then go melee. There isn't going to be a specified level as it's entirely gear dependent.
In terms of my own testing, it took me until level 30 for solo for my caster samurai set to outdamage my melee set when going full intelligence. My caster set never outdamaged with int never outdamaged a very cheap melee set using daggers + dex.

This guide is for every player - not for excellent gear only. A casting samurai with same melee stats and casting stats at level 55+ will always be stronger as a caster. Mana issues are usually gone by this point

Last point, Vitality:
Mages can get away with 20-25 vita until level 30. Especially for those with cheaper gear such as +int without +mana. As you are likely to run out of mana if you don't start statting int at levels 0-10. However you should pack their own heal charms to heal yourself should the need arise rather than expecting another member of the group to heal you until you reach the recommended 35 vit.

I would also recommend hitting 40 vitality at level 70-75 for warlocks/mages if climbing to 81. If climbing to 83-85, then consider going to 45 as even without a monster difficulty event, mobs have hit for 3k to players in the back rank within 1 second, this isn't common but if you do 200+ runs, it does show up from time to time. This also helps safeguard you if you get pulled to the front row.

Great to see a new guide though!

higher vitalitiy at higher levels is valid. it is important to note that you only need it at higher levels. Going too much too early will make your performance suffer a lot

Quote (izParagonzi @ 7 Jun 2020 04:39)
Good points, but are you just going off of Softcore ethics? The vitality at the start for a Mage in Hardcore is actually paramount, or you use + Max Life items from level 1-10. The guide is great, and good to see a new one, but I don't see it covering Hardcore where some minor differences would make a difference, and if a new player read this and started Hardcore, they may have some issues, especially for Solo and when Events increase Monster Difficulty by 50+ or more %

EDIT: just realised my comments only relate to your reply and MAY not mean the guide.

It covers hardcore as it is the same game as softcore. From my experience with hardcore players, you overdo the vitality part by a lot. 35 vita for group play is completely sufficient for up to level 55. Then it depends on the killspeed of the group. If it is lower, then you can go higher vitality, up to 50. More is never needed in a regular climb, unless you have a 100% monster difficulty level, but you hc player never play in these anyway ;)

Also just use more fish. Fish are way stronger than healing as it safes mana and you know how much life you will get by using it. It is also much cheaper than investing in a 200ee+ Heal charm ;)
Gold: 8,698.33
Jun 7 2020 02:18pm
Off Casting classes solo-explore only comment;

Gear dependency is the main issue here isn't it?
Do you need to cast at lower levels? Is there a point doing this since some classes have really low Int base?
Is there a good level point when to start casting and just melee early levels?
Does this mean if off-casting all characters that they should only be using "Lightning" & "Wild Heals" to boost Prof by the time they get to Headhunter?

Quote (Meridius @ Jun 8 2020 02:46am)
It covers hardcore as it is the same game as softcore. From my experience with hardcore players, you overdo the vitality part by a lot. 35 vita for group play is completely sufficient for up to level 55. Then it depends on the killspeed of the group. If it is lower, then you can go higher vitality, up to 50. More is never needed in a regular climb, unless you have a 100% monster difficulty level, but you hc player never play in these anyway ;)

Also just use more fish. Fish are way stronger than healing as it safes mana and you know how much life you will get by using it. It is also much cheaper than investing in a 200ee+ Heal charm ;)

Outside of "Whistling";

There are differences other than mechanics between Softcore and Hardcore, it is poor judgement to ignore it. Basically it is just like saying EVERY casting charm has the same 'average' damage per tier... that is 100% correct, but it does not cover the fact that with a Lightning, you may come across a time when you do lowest damage 10 or more times in a row while engaged in a 9 EP wave (same goes for healing charms).

Your guide is great, don't take my post as argumentative. It covers all basics and answers the more comprehensive questions that people come up with. I enjoyed coming back to play Hardcore when the Event had 94.44% Monster Difficulty and seeing a cry topic by a softcore player in main chat and other softcore people crying over it when the simple thing was to just increase your Vitality. Luckily softcore has more active players and gear circulating, there should never be any complaints other than "server down"

EDIT: Not going to waste forum gold on fish or spend hours fishing / cooking when saving forum gold to purchase an upgrade or time spent exploring catacomb could find an upgrade or item(s) to sell off to increase my savings. Remember, hardcore has less active player base and access to upgrades.

This post was edited by izParagonzi on Jun 7 2020 02:34pm
Gold: 2,157.03
Jul 22 2020 06:05pm
Love this
Gold: 139.26
Jul 22 2020 08:31pm
Quote (ToughGuy_TJ @ Jun 4 2020 02:53pm)
It’s quite unfortunate that I’m not smart enough to understand this guide

I’ll pretend I do and say nice guide cuz everyone else is

I guess you read up since you out damage me monk vs caster monk....

Geat guide well written
Gold: 194.75
Aug 9 2020 08:48am
sexy caster guide man.
thanks
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll