d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Legit Dueling > East Nl 2v2 Svs Tournament > 2.5k+ Prize Pool
Prev18910111241Next
Add Reply New Topic
Senior Moderator
Gold: 50,105.69
Trader: Trusted
May 30 2020 09:55am
Quote (Tabuu @ May 30 2020 11:42am)
Banned Gear:
Any item that adds a aura is banned. (Exceptions: Infinity and Phoenix)

doom has an freeze aura, which can be a problem for some i assume, and it can counter our gm rules on cold stacks

freeze aura shouldn't be a problem for any build.
Enchant, passion, and widow builds are banned in svs.

Quote (GNX @ May 30 2020 11:45am)
I keep one cubed on my cold sorc for vs bm cold stackers in vs all, svs its kinda junk in most situations due to the lack of other stats you need for the build. In most cases its a drag on stats more than an advantage, but it can be useful against a less skilled svs or against an svs with low res you know you can beat with it vs without.

All comes down to it being the right situation and being used to the benefits/downfalls of doom builds.

doom used to be in that list.

That's why I'm asking - it's not particularly useful in high level svs - but it has it's uses and offers other types of cold builds to be viable (its not all about pumping damage numbers higher, its about lowering resis more).

The reason I'm asking is exactly the point you mentioned, back in the day, doom used to be on the list. It eventually got neglected since it was even less popular than infinity/phoenix builds (which already are a rare sight to see).
I'm curious if we'd be willing to allow them once again, as they once were.
I guess this conversation is more fit for general SvS rules than this tournament specifically ...but semantics xD :lol:
Gold: 11,055.00
May 30 2020 10:16am
Freeze would be the end of me... :cry:
Gold: 0.00
May 30 2020 10:38am
Doom too OP with a max CR cap of 450. You'll kill in like 3 ice blasts
Gold: 2,560.00
May 30 2020 11:09am
Quote (Textbook @ May 30 2020 08:29am)
Does anyone here have an opinion on "Doom" runeword?
It provides 2 all skills and up to -60cold res.

Most people don't use it because it's garbage compared to 3 skills, FCR, 30 cold damage, and the resis of a fathom.
However, I know some builds (focused on lowering res, instead of maximizing damage) use a doom. It's no longer common, because frankly they're almost always outpaced by truly balanced sorcs + outplayed due to the lack of mobility (fcr).

Any opinions on this?
We allow infinity for nova/TS sorcs, even though TS sorcs are considered BM. These sorcs are almost never found nowadays due to not being viable, but we still allow them in the rules because they're fun to play.
We allow phoenix for fireball sorocs, even though most use SoP\spirit for the fcr and other benefits. Phoenix sorcs are almost never found nowadays, but we still allow them for those who like to swap them in occasionally for a big potential damage spike against unstacked FR opponents.
Why don't we allow doom like it used to be allowed? Same situation, it's not all that useful, but it's a fun option that cold sorcs can use at times - especially in todays world where 450CR stack is relatively easy to obtain.

Ty ^_^

With doom you can reach 350 Peirce being in hell would equal 450 making ib 2 shot 3.6k life with 7-8k ib damage tested this on my sorc with nothing but Peirce had 65 fcr though build is good pubs horrible svs due to mobility issues
Senior Moderator
Gold: 50,105.69
Trader: Trusted
May 30 2020 12:44pm
Quote (iplaycoldsorc @ May 30 2020 12:38pm)
Doom too OP with a max CR cap of 450. You'll kill in like 3 ice blasts

Quote (Sadisticfreak @ May 30 2020 01:09pm)
With doom you can reach 350 Peirce being in hell would equal 450 making ib 2 shot 3.6k life with 7-8k ib damage tested this on my sorc with nothing but Peirce had 65 fcr though build is good pubs horrible svs due to mobility issues

These are perfectly good countering arguments.

This kind of sorc is much more aggressively built. It sacrifices mobility, defenses, and other stats in an attempt to further take advantage of lowering resistances.
In reality, this sorc could (nor would) ever really rely on ice blast. It cannot telestomp effectively (telek + tele + IB) due to its low fcr bp, and if anyone tries to telestomp into it, they're misplaying the matchup. Outside of the stomping discussion, ice blast should literally never hit a target unless the target is randomly teleporting and teleports onto an ice blast. It's one of the slowest moving projectiles in the game, it has an incredibly small hitbox, and cannot be reliably desync'd (compare to: 24k fireballs that are fast moving, can triplecast with easily reached 200fcr bp, large hitboxes, and can be reliably and easily desync'd)
In pub games, it would (as sadistic mentioned) be incredibly successful due to the varying matchups that it could exploit.
In SvS, this sorc is at more of a disadvantage then it's typically built counterpart due to significant loss of stats in order to change the playstyle.

I believe this type of sacrifice, in order to have a different playstyle, should be encouraged - like it had been in the past.
This change would also make cold/lightning pairs more viable as a lightning sorc would pair nicely with a hard hitting (but mobility lacking) cold sorc - as a 200fcr 1.8screenlength casting (tele + lightning) sorc can cover the ground the cold sorc cant - both being high hitting, but hard to play sorcs in svs.
Gold: 3,605.21
May 30 2020 04:05pm
Quote (Textbook @ May 30 2020 02:44pm)
These are perfectly good countering arguments.

This kind of sorc is much more aggressively built. It sacrifices mobility, defenses, and other stats in an attempt to further take advantage of lowering resistances.
In reality, this sorc could (nor would) ever really rely on ice blast. It cannot telestomp effectively (telek + tele + IB) due to its low fcr bp, and if anyone tries to telestomp into it, they're misplaying the matchup. Outside of the stomping discussion, ice blast should literally never hit a target unless the target is randomly teleporting and teleports onto an ice blast. It's one of the slowest moving projectiles in the game, it has an incredibly small hitbox, and cannot be reliably desync'd (compare to: 24k fireballs that are fast moving, can triplecast with easily reached 200fcr bp, large hitboxes, and can be reliably and easily desync'd)
In pub games, it would (as sadistic mentioned) be incredibly successful due to the varying matchups that it could exploit.
In SvS, this sorc is at more of a disadvantage then it's typically built counterpart due to significant loss of stats in order to change the playstyle.

I believe this type of sacrifice, in order to have a different playstyle, should be encouraged - like it had been in the past.
This change would also make cold/lightning pairs more viable as a lightning sorc would pair nicely with a hard hitting (but mobility lacking) cold sorc - as a 200fcr 1.8screenlength casting (tele + lightning) sorc can cover the ground the cold sorc cant - both being high hitting, but hard to play sorcs in svs.

pretty sure it just kinda phased out of the rules, though it could have been exploited in another ladder such as cvc and deemed bm by that community. I was there but dont ask for details it was many joints ago on a weed farm far far away.

e/
Aaron would know more

ee/
or max maybe

This post was edited by GNX on May 30 2020 04:07pm
Gold: 4,045.00
May 30 2020 09:26pm
I change my element to cold <3
Gold: 4,069.00
May 30 2020 10:52pm
Quote (Gemmd @ May 30 2020 09:16am)
Freeze would be the end of me... :cry:

Use Cham noob
Gold: 4,069.00
May 30 2020 10:54pm
Doom is not viable in svs. Trust me.
Gold: 2,560.00
May 31 2020 12:17am
Quote (Adaptation @ May 30 2020 09:52pm)
Use Cham noob

Cham doesn't prevent holy freeze from freezing its the only exception in the game

Quote (Adaptation @ May 30 2020 09:54pm)
Doom is not viable in svs. Trust me.

Under modern rules not old rules i 100% agree.
Go Back To Legit Dueling Topic List
Prev18910111241Next
Add Reply New Topic