d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > Is Plate Armor Better For Solo?
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 2,948.60
Trader: Trusted
May 4 2020 12:07am
Trying to get my first MQ done solo to see if I can pull through, but I was looking through the different types of armor trying to learn.. I see that plate has the most defense, but when I'm soloing is it better to maybe go scale instead to get that magic defense? I don't know the balance of the damage that monsters are going to do and I need to figure out what to invest in for lv 30+ in terms of armor.

I don't think it matters as much early on from what I can tell, but I'm sure that once I get to 40-50+ I'm going to start feeling a lot weaker and I want to figure out my best route.

Running a barb
Gold: 31,300.10
May 4 2020 12:40am
Scale or leathers are what you want to use.

Keep an eye out for some that have strength or dexterity. Which (depending on your weapon) can up your damage.
Retired Moderator
May 4 2020 12:41am
Quote (subwolf22 @ 4 May 2020 02:40)
Scale or leathers are what you want to use.

Keep an eye out for some that have strength or dexterity. Which (depending on your weapon) can up your damage.

Awesome, that's what I figured. I will have to check out some of those then.
I was looking for mainly EE because I'm soloing, should I prioritize EE and hope to get some strength alongside that, or find a balance of both?
Gold: 31,300.10
May 4 2020 12:44am
Its more about preferences or what you can get your hands on.

Some people solo with pumping vitality to about 80 - 100 and using stat armor, not EE

Others do use EE armors and can put more stat points into str or dex.

Retired Moderator
May 4 2020 12:45am
Quote (subwolf22 @ 4 May 2020 02:44)
Its more about preferences or what you can get your hands on.

Some people solo with pumping vitality to about 80 - 100 and using stat armor, not EE

Others do use EE armors and can put more stat points into str or dex.

Ah okay, I've been using full EE with vit up to 100.. I guess I'll just have to do a few runs and see what I like best. Thanks a lot!
Gold: 433.48
May 4 2020 02:26am
You get more ee on plate for same fg a scale cost
And that makes plate better

Scale leather is only needed if you reach headhunter
Gold: 8,698.33
May 4 2020 03:35am
I hate this debate... the answer is simple:

#1 If you wear Plate or Chain mail, you need to KILL any monsters (spawns) that are DEALING "Elemental" type damage either from "Atilities or NOT".
#2 Any "HEALING" ability mobs should be "LAST" on the kill list... note: they run out of mana while regen'ing ETC... you need to experience this 4 yourself.

Solo'ing, taking in the "Damage #(s)" during your time with "gear" will fundamentally change your way of building your "class", even if it is a "Barbarian" with only "+5 Int" as a base starter.
Retired Moderator
May 4 2020 03:37am
Quote (izParagonzi @ 4 May 2020 05:35)
I hate this debate... the answer is simple:

#1 If you wear Plate or Chain mail, you need to KILL any monsters (spawns) that are DEALING "Elemental" type damage either from "Atilities or NOT".
#2 Any "HEALING" ability mobs should be "LAST" on the kill list... note: they run out of mana while regen'ing ETC... you need to experience this 4 yourself.

Solo'ing, taking in the "Damage #(s)" during your time with "gear" will fundamentally change your way of building your "class", even if it is a "Barbarian" with only "+5 Int" as a base starter.

Good point, I totally missed the fact that it actually shows you what they're hitting you with - And I was actually taking healers out first because they're so annoying, but I'll try what you're saying.

If this is the case, I'd rather have some really high physical defense and take those casters out first.
Gold: 8,698.33
May 4 2020 03:48am
Quote (Soroush @ May 4 2020 09:37pm)
Good point, I totally missed the fact that it actually shows you what they're hitting you with - And I was actually taking healers out first because they're so annoying, but I'll try what you're saying.

If this is the case, I'd rather have some really high physical defense and take those casters out first.

This is why "Scale Mail" is regarded as the "Best" enhanced effect armor to use;

#1 Feeder (starting classes) ROGUE, Barb, fighter
#2 Samurai (1st Unlock) can use a Scale armor.
#3 Paladin (2nd Unlock) can use a Scale armor

So, with "Scale" being the optimum (MOST versatile) armor for Melee or tank builds defense for "phys & magical", YOU will have to either build around what you have available or spend a shit load of FG to get the best gear? Choices are what makes the builds work for the player and not the game creator.
Gold: 19,049.13
May 4 2020 04:06am
The problem with scale is that it costs more.

Lets suggest you have a budget of 3000 fg.

For a scale this will get you about ~150ee
For a chain/plate this gets you about ~200ee

There is usually more demand for scales/leathers so harder to come by.

My personal opinion is that the chains/plates are better, especially seeing the physical defense is further boosted by your vit stat.
And i also kill the damaging casters first when using plates ;)

Main reason scale value is high is that headhunter's cannot use heavy armor, this means all the guys who reach HH (usually those with gear worth 50k+) need tank scales/leathers.
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll