d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Bsod No Hdd Installed
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.07
Apr 7 2020 09:00am
Brother ordered new ryzen 3600 and MSI MPG X570 gaming plus motherboard. I installed it for him. Everything gets power, I can get into bios no problem. But windows I can't get to, constant blue screens of different codes. Safe mode I got blue screen. I unplugged all his hard drives and I still get blue screens with windows iso on usb. How is that even possible. I thought maybe the CPU wasn't properly installed, so I reseated it. Nothing changed, so I put my 2600 in there and it went straight to desktop. No bsod or anything. So, I assumed the CPU was bad and told him to return it. He did and picked up another at Bestbuy. Put it back together and turned it on and worked great, for about 30 minutes. Constant blue screens. I updated bios to most recent. Possible the new MOBO is bad? Mind you, all his old files are on these storage drives from his old threadripper and x399 Mobo.(that's another story) Anyway, just curious if anyone had some input. Appreciate it, thanks.

AMD Ryzen 3600
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
4x4 XPG RAM, 3000mhz(think anyway)
1TB WD HDD
1TB SSD
240GB HDD(windows)
EVGA 1070ti
Gold: 10,655.00
Apr 7 2020 12:34pm
1. Make sure you didn't end up with a bit of thermal compound leaking down to the CPU pins.
2. After you put the 3600 in, reset the BIOS to defaults, before you try to boot from Windows install media..
3. A 2 stick set of RAM is always better than a 4 sticks set.
4. Not all RAM is compatible with all motherboards. Best, on new motherboards, to use RAM that is on the motherboard manufacturer's QVL, or that your motherboard has been tested to work with the RAM by the RAM manufacturer's website.
5. Never mix and match RAM sticks or sets.

^Taprot

/e Side note: Comp will probably not boot with the old motherboard's drivers on the OS drive. With the drives unhooked though, it should boot from OS install media. So, as you guessed, you probably have another issue.

This post was edited by Ghot on Apr 7 2020 12:39pm
Gold: 0.07
Apr 8 2020 07:43am
So, I put my ram in his computer. Reset cmos and it has been working fine. I put his ram in mine, I got 1 blue screen with Kmode exception not handle or something like that.
I restarted and has been fine as well. Interesting. Both of our ram just happen to be the same brand XPG by Adata, 3000mhz, just the timings were slightly different on his ram.

So idk what happened here. Thanks for the input.
Gold: 10,655.00
Apr 8 2020 10:27am
Quote (Taprot @ Apr 8 2020 09:43am)
So, I put my ram in his computer. Reset cmos and it has been working fine. I put his ram in mine, I got 1 blue screen with Kmode exception not handle or something like that.
I restarted and has been fine as well. Interesting. Both of our ram just happen to be the same brand XPG by Adata, 3000mhz, just the timings were slightly different on his ram.

So idk what happened here. Thanks for the input.

Sometimes the BIOS gets confused with new RAM. Resetting the CMOS usually fixes that. There used to be a Mem OK button on the better motherboards, that did this for you.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll