d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > The Last Of Us > Hbo
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 10 2020 06:53pm
Quote (WelSh @ Mar 10 2020 10:12am)
I'd hazard a guess that before the netflix release, the vast majority of witcher fans were fans because of the game and not the books.

Sure, so far they've adapted the books. But you can't argue you didnt see any strong influences from the game throughout the series - non more so than Geralt himself, his voice and look, not to mention his 'mmm'

It's also incredibly popular and likely to get recurrent seasons that will no doubt inevitably venture from the books and cross over into the game lore.

Commonsense prevails

Quote (Arsenic_Touch @ Mar 10 2020 10:31am)
They're never crossing into the game lore. They don't have the rights to it and the project head already said she is stopping with lady of the lake.

Did you miss the part where

"The agreement satisfies and fully clarifies the needs and expectations of both parties, past and present, and sets out a framework for the future cooperation between the two sides."

in regards to the author and project rekt working together IMMEDIATELY following the release of the series?

The details of which are confidential, but come on.
Gold: 22,720.48
Mar 10 2020 06:59pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Mar 10 2020 08:53pm)
Commonsense prevails

Did you miss the part where

"The agreement satisfies and fully clarifies the needs and expectations of both parties, past and present, and sets out a framework for the future cooperation between the two sides."

in regards to the author and project rekt working together IMMEDIATELY following the release of the series?

The details of which are confidential, but come on.

That has nothing to do with the tv series on netlfix though, that has been in the making for a while and has to do with the author wanting more money after the success of the game. Their original agreement was a lump sum and he wanted further royalties.
Mar 10 2020 07:03pm
Quote (Arsenic_Touch @ Mar 10 2020 05:59pm)
That has nothing to do with the tv series on netlfix though, that has been in the making for a while and has to do with the author wanting more money after the success of the game. Their original agreement was a lump sum and he wanted further royalties.

You don't think there's any correlation between the show's release (and immediate/massive success) and them inking a deal the day after? For the second time and with a little more oomph, come the fuck on.

e: As the creator doesn't believe anything past Lake to be canon, I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped there (although spin-offs or a new show for the Wild Hunt is likely imo), but the games influence is heavy throughout the series, most noticeably with Geralt himself. My guess wouldn't be expanding into the Wild Hunt or anything like that with this current series, but them adding tidbits from the game to pander to a wider audience, thus making more money for everyone.

Regardless, this is a pointless discussion and we should get back to talking about The Last of Us. We can argue over semantics all you want (or the lack thereof if you're Blah), but I personally believe the games had a HUGE impact on both the content and success of the show, thus I believe calling it a video game adaptation is fair, even though it is also a book adaptation. We can agree to disagree and move on, I'm fine with it.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Mar 10 2020 07:12pm
Gold: 22,720.48
Mar 10 2020 08:25pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Mar 10 2020 09:03pm)
You don't think there's any correlation between the show's release (and immediate/massive success) and them inking a deal the day after? For the second time and with a little more oomph, come the fuck on.

Given that the agreement was in the works in 2018 and was moving towards amicable terms, I'm going to lean on there being no correlation. The author hated the games and games in general, wanted nothing to do with them. Spent years belittling them. Polish law allowed him to recoup on his mistake of taking a lump sum instead of a percentage. Also, the agreement between the two is specifically about video games, graphic novels, board games, and merchandise.

Regardless, this is a pointless discussion and we should get back to talking about The Last of Us. We can argue over semantics all you want (or the lack thereof if you're Blah), but I personally believe the games had a HUGE impact on both the content and success of the show, thus I believe calling it a video game adaptation is fair, even though it is also a book adaptation. We can agree to disagree and move on, I'm fine with it.

Success? sure. Content? not even close. While the way Henry plays Geralt is inspired by Cockle's Geralt, the rest of it is a book adaptation, not a game adaptation, so much to the point there were quite a few complaints that the series had nothing to do with the game. So it's not safe to call it a game adaptation when they're not adapting the game, the showrunner even said this numerous times. While I would enjoy some of the game storylines being adapted, they do not have the rights to them, there has been zero negotiation between netflix and the developers and there has been zero talk of there ever being any.
Mar 10 2020 08:41pm
Yes, the main character, his mannerisms and what makes him what he is being more-so based on the game than the books, isn't a large enough contributing factor. Again, I'm done discussing this lol. If you don't get where I'm coming from by now, you never will, and that's okay.

e: The details are confidential, but I'm glad you're privy to what all the deal entails.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Mar 10 2020 08:42pm
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll