d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Pets > Need Help With Puppy > Red Nose Pit
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 25.00
Mar 6 2020 08:25am
Little about her.

Name athena
Born Halloween

Wife and I are trying to potty train her 100%

Last night for the first time she peed on the bed enraging the wife she had just went outside within 20 mins of the accident. Didnt have any water to drink and use did pee outside

She has accidents and still poops inside. She should be old enough to hold her bladder for like 2-4 hours already but were still having to do 30-1 hour trips outside.

She has pissed on the couch while I was showering.

Is there anything were missing? What are we doing wrong..

Sometimes when we take her out she just wants to sit and look. We try to get her attention but she wants to pull the lead and go sit. (We do the pull to side method we've been told that's the only way to stop her from pulling the lead)

Any advice you can offer will help tremendously.

Also around 7:30 her food bowls go up she normally doesnt have accidents at night it's just during the day/evening
Gold: 73.65
Mar 16 2020 04:26pm
Quote (thiswillown @ Mar 6 2020 10:25am)
Little about her.

Name athena
Born Halloween

Wife and I are trying to potty train her 100%

Last night for the first time she peed on the bed enraging the wife she had just went outside within 20 mins of the accident. Didnt have any water to drink and use did pee outside

She has accidents and still poops inside. She should be old enough to hold her bladder for like 2-4 hours already but were still having to do 30-1 hour trips outside.

She has pissed on the couch while I was showering.

Is there anything were missing? What are we doing wrong..

Sometimes when we take her out she just wants to sit and look. We try to get her attention but she wants to pull the lead and go sit. (We do the pull to side method we've been told that's the only way to stop her from pulling the lead)

Any advice you can offer will help tremendously.

Also around 7:30 her food bowls go up she normally doesnt have accidents at night it's just during the day/evening

My roommate's dog is also named that! :P

Two questions...

1) How many times do you take her out per day?

2) Do you take her to a designated spot? And if so, how old is she, and explain how you would go through the process of doing that.
Mar 17 2020 07:49am
Quote (ShampooMonK @ Mar 16 2020 06:26pm)
My roommate's dog is also named that! :P

Two questions...

1) How many times do you take her out per day?

2) Do you take her to a designated spot? And if so, how old is she, and explain how you would go through the process of doing that.

Normally take her out every hour to hour and a half.
Same spot
Shes four months old born on halloween
Normally when we get up and tell her let's to outside she runs to the door sits down and waits to be leashed.
We walk outside (I lead be in charge)
We walk to the same spot roughly every time because that's pretty much our only area she can go.
She will normally pee right away then try to pull and run for the door or sit and sniff the air for 10 mine refusing to take a poo.
Its frustrating right now the wife and I are having problems and she pissed on the floor last night and the bed ( she always makes it through the night without an accident)
So I'm not sure what happened last night
Gold: 620.79
Mar 19 2020 10:23am
Are they full on pees or is she marking?

There's too many variables to say what's going on. Could be a million different problems.
Mar 19 2020 01:51pm
Quote (Hecht55 @ Mar 19 2020 12:23pm)
Are they full on pees or is she marking?

There's too many variables to say what's going on. Could be a million different problems.

Full pees
Would getting her spade help alot?
Gold: 620.79
Mar 19 2020 02:18pm
Quote (thiswillown @ Mar 19 2020 02:51pm)
Full pees
Would getting her spade help alot?

Not necessarily. Without knowing what your relationship is with the dog it could be a dominance/pack position issue, could be your technique of training, could be health etc etc.

Have you been able to catch the dog at the moment she starts peeing inside? The best thing is to see it in the first moment its happening quickly alert them no and usher them outside (or to your designated area inside). Praise when she does it outside, quick sharp scold and correct.

If you're not calm the entire time it's all for naught.
Gold: 73.65
Mar 19 2020 03:02pm
Quote (thiswillown @ Mar 17 2020 09:49am)
Normally take her out every hour to hour and a half.
Same spot
Shes four months old born on halloween
Normally when we get up and tell her let's to outside she runs to the door sits down and waits to be leashed.
We walk outside (I lead be in charge)
We walk to the same spot roughly every time because that's pretty much our only area she can go.
She will normally pee right away then try to pull and run for the door or sit and sniff the air for 10 mine refusing to take a poo.
Its frustrating right now the wife and I are having problems and she pissed on the floor last night and the bed ( she always makes it through the night without an accident)
So I'm not sure what happened last night

You take her out every hour? That's a lot to be honest...

I feel like that's a rough routine to upkeep.

I agree with what Hecht55 wrote. If you catch them, sternly scold, but don't be very aggressive about it.

If she's sitting and sniffing and refusing to poo, maybe it's because she isn't comfortable enough to poo. Bring some treats and encourage her to poo/pee.

She is a puppy, she's bound to make mistakes. Sometimes that's apart of how it is.

I recommend this website as I've used it to help potty train my friend's puppy in exchange for some $$$.

Without knowing your pup's temperament, I wouldn't know how to accurately describe the issue.

https://pupbox.com/training/potty-training-puppy-doesnt-nightmare/

EDIT: Spading doesn't really help other than lower aggression. If she's aggressively pulling at the leash, then it may be a dominance/territorial issue with neighboring dogs.

Does she look around a lot before peeing/pooing at the spot?

This post was edited by ShampooMonK on Mar 19 2020 03:03pm
Banned
Gold: 4.25
Warn: 20%
Mar 19 2020 05:50pm
I have 4 dogs and this has always worked for us..

you cant punish them if you dont CATCH them doing it

if you catch her shortly after the act it helps to scold and put their face in it then IMMEDIATELY bring them outside.

a couple times of this and she should be able to learn you dont piss where you sleep

it sounds like youre consistent enough with it that she should be picking it up pretty quick

This post was edited by Darnderin on Mar 19 2020 05:50pm
Mar 19 2020 07:09pm
Quote (Hecht55 @ Mar 19 2020 04:18pm)
Not necessarily. Without knowing what your relationship is with the dog it could be a dominance/pack position issue, could be your technique of training, could be health etc etc.

Have you been able to catch the dog at the moment she starts peeing inside? The best thing is to see it in the first moment its happening quickly alert them no and usher them outside (or to your designated area inside). Praise when she does it outside, quick sharp scold and correct.

If you're not calm the entire time it's all for naught.

Not sure if it's a dominance issue the only thing I see as she try's to be in charge of is pulling when we walk or has a strong smell.
And it's almost daily that she uses the bathroom inside..

Quote (ShampooMonK @ Mar 19 2020 05:02pm)
You take her out every hour? That's a lot to be honest...

I feel like that's a rough routine to upkeep.

I agree with what Hecht55 wrote. If you catch them, sternly scold, but don't be very aggressive about it.

If she's sitting and sniffing and refusing to poo, maybe it's because she isn't comfortable enough to poo. Bring some treats and encourage her to poo/pee.

She is a puppy, she's bound to make mistakes. Sometimes that's apart of how it is.

I recommend this website as I've used it to help potty train my friend's puppy in exchange for some $$$.

Without knowing your pup's temperament, I wouldn't know how to accurately describe the issue.

https://pupbox.com/training/potty-training-puppy-doesnt-nightmare/

EDIT: Spading doesn't really help other than lower aggression. If she's aggressively pulling at the leash, then it may be a dominance/territorial issue with neighboring dogs.

Does she look around a lot before peeing/pooing at the spot?

The only neighboring dog is like 500-1000 feet away. Earlier like a hour ago before bedtime I took her outside I took her to our respective spots where she pottys. She just sniffs and walks right to my legs and try's to walk up the path to the house.

If she pees outside theres a good chance she wont poo.
She will sniff and just walk around and try to go inside. Shortly after being inside she will poo inside she knows it's wrong because she will kinda like hunch and run when we find it.

I can take her outside every hour on the hour and she will still come inside and use the bathroom.

Maybe it's a feeding issue?
We got a smaller sized bowls for food and water normally I fill it up she will eat most or half of it then drink almost the entire bowl of water. Should I minimize the amount of food and water shes getting? I dont want her to starve we took her to the vet shes already 28 lbs which is perfect for her age.

I'm at a loss yesterday I came home wife said she refuses to pee/poo so after a 10 hour day I took her outside for 45 mins nothing. Go inside she whines like she has to potty near the door took her out for another 30 mins nothing. Came inside told the wife I was going to shower and that I can guarantee shes going to use the bathroom inside the house while I'm in the shower (normally I leave the door open) had it closed this time. She pees right next to my wife while I was showering. She didnt see it until I stepped into it after a fresh shower. Wife got upset and put her nose into it and scolded her and smacked her butt then put her in her kennel (I didnt agree but I understand where shes frustrated).

Shes well loved.
Maybe too loved and spoiled ( if that's a thing.)
Gold: 3,100.00
Apr 6 2020 01:24am
It sounds like your dog is getting a lot of mixed signals.
Before I say anything I will say this.
Please get your dog spayed. It's not going to help with this issue, but it will help with some future issues your dog will possibly have.

Please consult a professional dog trainer. Not one at your local petco... All they do is a 90 day course and receive a certificate. An actual animal trainer.
If that is not in the cards then I will give you some advice.
First off scolding your dog for going potty inside is only going to do one thing. Make your dog go somewhere that you're not around when she needs to potty. For example you showing, she goes potty.
Secondly do not put your dogs nose in it. That has been proven time and time again to do nothing.
Third you're doing the right thing but trying to maintain a schedule. Can see you've done some research on your own.
From your post however it seems like you're just standing there with your dog hoping she'll go potty. Take her for a walk during those 45 minutes.

Think of it like this.
Human children are potty trained pretty quickly. Yet they still have(non-medical) accidents once they get into elementary school. Why? Because children are around their friends, it's exciting and they hold it for too long because they don't want to interrupt ''play time''.
Your dog is similar in this aspect. She knows she needs to go outside and potty therefore she goes to the door and whines.
However it's so exciting for your puppy to be outside and doing things she completely forgets about going potty.
Once shes inside the excitement has died down so she now has to potty again.
Take her for a walk, she'll explore and go potty.

I do have to give you one piece of advice not pertaining to potty training.
Your dog going outside first isn't ''dominate''. It's excitement. The technical term is actually called an extinction burst.
Children do this as do dogs. It's just different.
A child will start crying and throwing a fit. If an adult gives into this then the child learns they can throw a fit and get their way.
Where if a adult allows the child to tire themselves out by throwing a fit. The child learns throwing a fit got them nothing but being tired.
A Dog when they first exit the home. It's literally the most exciting thing ever. OMG I'M ON LEASH YES LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO. So the dog starts pulling and going everywhere.
Any decent animal trainer will recognize this and suggest to the owner to let the dog do whatever they wish(within reason) for the first 15-30 minutes outside.(especially if it's a high energy breed or a puppy) Once the first bit of energy is gone. Then you start the training process.
But an extinction burst has nothing to do with your dog trying to assert dominance over you. Shes just excited to be going outside.
Go Back To Pets Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll