d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Investment & Finance > Dow Jones Base Jumping > Taking The Plunge
Prev1164165166167168624Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Dec 8 2020 12:39pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Dec 8 2020 12:27pm)
Technicals alone are trash.

I have found some things fairly useful and you get better at seeing some things.

From my personal experience, I have found some indicators like RSI and MACD to work partially. The moving averages also are pretty useful. I have the 200, 50, and 20 on mine. Sometimes when a stock is dropping and I'm looking for a potential entry I have found that they tend to stick to some of these moving average floors. Like it's pretty incredible how sometimes you'll be watching the daily tape and you will have a channel drawn and it literally will kiss the upper bound and get rejected or bounce off the lower bound when it's dropping.

It's likely because others are also using these metrics. Funny thing is whether or not a metric is good will often just be determined by if other people are using it.
Gold: 3,100.00
Dec 8 2020 02:13pm
Quote (Bazi @ Dec 8 2020 12:41pm)
Always always always set limit losses and auto sell orders to ur comfort

Still holding that Roku? It’s been doing well.
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 8 2020 07:07pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 8 2020 11:08am)
Depends how much you use. Fundamentally it's a loan that you have to beat 5% a year on. That shouldn't be hard as long as you're not taking risky positions. If you're yoloing 500k on PLTR calls that expire next week you'll probably lose your house. If you're using a small amount to buy shares of a profitable company with low volatility and good prospects, it's significantly less risky.

Currently I'm only working with a few thousand as I figure out a consistent strategy I want to use, so my maximum loss isn't that much.

Margin is extreamly cheap. I'm at 3.5%,its tax deductible so the real cost is 59% x 3.5% since my tax rate is 41%.

Just put it in a s&p 500 Etf and ensure you're not getting called by keeping ample margin open. For instance one of my accounts has 400k of margin I utilize 75k. The market would have to tank well beyond what we saw in March before I get called.

For those using it though they don't announce rate changes typically so monitor it as rates won't be this low forever.

This post was edited by SBD on Dec 8 2020 07:08pm
Dec 8 2020 07:41pm
Started in September. Made one bad trade and its been up from there. Getting addicted to gains. Gotta remember not to get cocky and over risk.
Gold: 5.00
Dec 8 2020 11:24pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Dec 8 2020 12:27pm)
Technicals alone are trash.

I have found some things fairly useful and you get better at seeing some things.

From my personal experience, I have found some indicators like RSI and MACD to work partially. The moving averages also are pretty useful. I have the 200, 50, and 20 on mine. Sometimes when a stock is dropping and I'm looking for a potential entry I have found that they tend to stick to some of these moving average floors. Like it's pretty incredible how sometimes you'll be watching the daily tape and you will have a channel drawn and it literally will kiss the upper bound and get rejected or bounce off the lower bound when it's dropping.

Macd, rsi, bbands, are all my crypto bot uses and it works great for minute trading.

I run the same analytics pattern on stocks, but it's a different animal. Usually have to cross reference with earnings reports, and us politics.

Read today FCC handing out free money to broadband providers again, Starlink among them. Century Link as well, they seem to eat $$

This post was edited by RedFromWinter on Dec 8 2020 11:30pm
Gold: 57.00
Dec 8 2020 11:32pm
Quote (RedFromWinter @ 9 Dec 2020 00:24)
Macd, rsi, bbands, are all my crypto bot uses and it works great for minute trading.

I really should do that again. right now i just move in and out of eth/btc into stables. made some nice little gains bouncing around over the last month as btc tests new highs and gets dragged back then tests again
Gold: 5.00
Dec 8 2020 11:53pm
Quote (excellence @ Dec 8 2020 11:32pm)
I really should do that again. right now i just move in and out of eth/btc into stables. made some nice little gains bouncing around over the last month as btc tests new highs and gets dragged back then tests again

You really should, especially if you are outside the US. You could also look over the current order book to place buy or sell orders just above or below others :) And work in some advanced stop loss logic. My algorithm works well, but the commodity pair needs to have good volume or it won't even consider it.

If you are US based, things are getting worse. Binance has cracked down on US. They give us a watered down exchange. Meanwhile. Canadians can go nuts with crypto with low tax.
Gold: 101.80
Warn: 70%
Dec 9 2020 12:13am
Trump days are the best days
i am so glad he's back on television
the best of times
Dec 9 2020 12:18am
Quote (RedFromWinter @ Dec 8 2020 11:24pm)

I run the same analytics pattern on stocks, but it's a different animal. Usually have to cross reference with earnings reports, and us politics.

Read today FCC handing out free money to broadband providers again, Starlink among them. Century Link as well, they seem to eat $$

My mom is rural and had centurytel which either was or became part of centurylink. They're eating cash because they're bringing fast internet to rural areas. She just got upgraded from 30kb/s to 5mb/s. Makes visiting much more tolerable, and she cancelled her ridiculously expensive satellite TV in favor of a chromecast with Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube. Covid has brought a huge push to getting fast internet access so in the future rural kids can do school from home in the event of another pandemic.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Dec 9 2020 12:19am
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 9 2020 12:36am
An area that I haven't explored yet is art, collectibles, and other works of art or other that appreciate in value.

I started looking, you can buy portions, much like a share and companies will hold the art for appreciation then resell in x years distributing the appreciation and your initial investment.

There is a lock up period where you can't withdraw your money but there's a secondary market for the shares so you could just sell your portion on that market if you needed to exit early.

You can look at the history of say a painter and look to see how past works have appreciated.

Things like this don't typically tank when a market tanks since the market is the ultra rich. An interesting hedge and pretty interesting to browse.

This post was edited by SBD on Dec 9 2020 12:37am
Go Back To Investment & Finance Topic List
Prev1164165166167168624Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll