d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Need Deaad Lift Pointers
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Feb 5 2020 06:59am
Hey all
So I put 25 pound plates on a bar to try and get a feel for it. Some things I noticed.

I work a desk job and my hip flexors are retard tight
Should you be squeezing your glutes throughout the entire lift?

I understand from ground to kneecaps it's a leg exercise which is similar to a leg press and from kneecap up it's tremendous for your back and you should squeeze the glutes at the top.

I was thinking of putting just 10 pounds on and recording and perfecting form, but what are some tips before going into this exercise?
Gold: 40.01
Feb 5 2020 11:07am
Since this sounds like a serious post and not a troll, I will give you a few pointers:

1. Your hands are hooks, they just hold the weight, not pull it.

2. You are correct that it is like a leg press. You want to imagine you are driving your feet into the ground, attempting to “push the ground away” to drive the bar up and off the ground.

3. Your glutes, hamstrings, upper back, and primarily lats should all be engaged when performing the deadlift. You want to feel very tight through your entire body

4. With low weight such as what you’re using, it will be harder to feel your hamstrings and glutes be engaged and tight before lifting. There isn’t much tension for you to pull back on from the bar. If you are a normal sized human being, I’d suggest trying 135lbs (45lb plate on each side) to get a feel for the tension; you should be able to pull this for several reps with no problem.

As for the hip flexors, you can always warm up before the exercises. Glute activation, side/front leg swings, good girl/bad girl leg machines, etc, or just perform the exercise with the bar/light weight multiple times to get the muscles warmed up. You can also look up hip flexor release videos for stretching or using a kettlebell/foam roller/tennis ball etc.
Feb 5 2020 11:28am
Quote (ug_warrior(xtc) @ Feb 5 2020 12:07pm)
Since this sounds like a serious post and not a troll, I will give you a few pointers:

1. Your hands are hooks, they just hold the weight, not pull it.

2. You are correct that it is like a leg press. You want to imagine you are driving your feet into the ground, attempting to “push the ground away” to drive the bar up and off the ground.

3. Your glutes, hamstrings, upper back, and primarily lats should all be engaged when performing the deadlift. You want to feel very tight through your entire body

4. With low weight such as what you’re using, it will be harder to feel your hamstrings and glutes be engaged and tight before lifting. There isn’t much tension for you to pull back on from the bar. If you are a normal sized human being, I’d suggest trying 135lbs (45lb plate on each side) to get a feel for the tension; you should be able to pull this for several reps with no problem.

As for the hip flexors, you can always warm up before the exercises. Glute activation, side/front leg swings, good girl/bad girl leg machines, etc, or just perform the exercise with the bar/light weight multiple times to get the muscles warmed up. You can also look up hip flexor release videos for stretching or using a kettlebell/foam roller/tennis ball etc.

Thanks for the post, much appreciated. I use the foam roller with the nubs and that thing is like my best friend. So I guess I'll try it with 45 on each side. I honestly think one of my problems is my last. Idk id they're firing right
Feb 5 2020 11:40am
Quote (Element1023 @ Feb 5 2020 11:28am)
Thanks for the post, much appreciated. I use the foam roller with the nubs and that thing is like my best friend. So I guess I'll try it with 45 on each side. I honestly think one of my problems is my last. Idk id they're firing right

If you’re having trouble with your lats, do a few lat pull downs and seats rows, or even barbell rows with just the bar. Focus on squeezing and contracting your lats to get them to fire. Once they’re warmed up you’ll be able to feel the bar pulling against them.

If you watch a lot of lifters before they deadlift, some do a little shoulder shrug, up and then down, before grabbing the bar. When you’re pushing down you’re focusing on the lats being engaged, grabbing the bar and letting that tension stay through there. Once that is established is when you should load the hamstrings/glutes.
Feb 5 2020 11:59am
So I've been doing lat pull downs and it's definitely not working for me so I need to switch it up. I been doing individual arm pull downs if that makes sense at all. I am standing with alil bend and keep me arm straight to get all the tension in the last. I found it out from Jeff cavaliere and I think it works okay for me. Though I'm gonna keep at it and also include dumb bell rows.

Thanks for the advice
Gold: 361.00
Feb 5 2020 07:40pm
I like to wiggle on the spot to plant my feet and do a violent hyperventilate head bob thing a few times which tightens everything up
Gold: 3.82
Feb 5 2020 11:42pm
Not to mention stretch more. like whenever you can at home etc. just stretch a little
Feb 6 2020 10:37am
Quote (Excusemem8 @ Feb 5 2020 07:40pm)
I like to wiggle on the spot to plant my feet and do a violent hyperventilate head bob thing a few times which tightens everything up

He’s not joking

He dedlift big kaygee’s

Gold: 361.00
Feb 6 2020 07:23pm
Quote (ug_warrior(xtc) @ Feb 7 2020 12:37am)
He’s not joking

He dedlift big kaygee’s

Last nights single

Feb 7 2020 07:46pm
Quote (Excusemem8 @ Feb 6 2020 07:23pm)

What is that on your upper lip my friend

562 freedom bois. You best my best by 97 bald eagles

Isn’t your comp lift higher than this tho

This post was edited by ug_warrior(xtc) on Feb 7 2020 07:47pm
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
12Next