d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1735736737738739910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,400.67
Oct 28 2020 02:54pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 28 Oct 2020 22:40)
I'm not saying it was out of control in Europe.

I'm saying that you will see exponential spread in winter almost no matter what you do, and since exponential growth is exponential doubling your starting point over doubles your end point. So it's important to keep that starting point as low as possible. I.e. starting with 10 cases might result in a peak of 1000 cases, but starting with 50 might result in a peak of 20,000. It's more than linear.

and that's why it's important to keep the numbers low in summer, which the United States failed to do.

But that's just not an appropriate way of looking at it. Doubling the starting point only doubles the end point if no countermeasures are taken to slow down the growth. It is more realistic to assume that public life is largely shut down once a certain threshold is surpassed. Then, a lower starting point doesnt change the end result, it only delays the shutdown by a few weeks at most.

Here in Europe, we brought the cases way down during early summer. Italy and Germany, two nations of 60 and 83 miillion, respectively, both had below 200 daily cases at some point. Translated to the U.S., that would correspond to below 900 daily cases. All across Europe, we also had almost no more covid patients in our hospitals. Now, we're having to cope with massive restrictions once again anyway, and some parts of France, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic already experience overcrowded hospitals.

Despite our efforts, we're basically back to square one. Starting from a higher base only means that you will have less time to watch the exponential growth before issuing the next lockdown. The room for error in the U.S. is smaller because you didnt get your cases further down during the summer - but the end result will be largely the same as in Europe.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Oct 28 2020 02:55pm
Gold: 260.11
Oct 28 2020 02:56pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Oct 28 2020 03:54pm)
But that's just not an appropriate way of looking at it. Doubling the starting point only doubles the end point if no countermeasures are taken to slow down the growth. It is more realistic to assume that public life is largely shut down once a certain threshold is surpassed. Then, a lower starting point doesnt change the end result, it only delays the shutdown by a few weeks at most.

Here in Europe, we brought the cases way down during early summer. Italy and Germany, two nations of 60 and 83 miillion, respectively, both had below 200 daily cases at some point. Translated to the U.S., that would correspond to below 500 daily cases. All across Europe, we also had almost no more covid patients in our hospitals. Now, we're having to cope with massive restrictions once again anyway, and some parts of France, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic already experience overcrowded hospitals.

Despite our efforts, we're basically back to square one. Starting from a higher base only means that you will have less time to watch the exponential growth before issuing the next lockdown. The room for error in the U.S. is smaller because you didnt get your cases further down during the summer - but the end result will be largely the same as in Europe.

You can still have exponential growth even if you take countermeasures. Just depends which ones and how much they are followed. In winter it's very difficult to make appropriate counter measures because the droplets stay in the air longer and people are in closer proximity.

and having a larger window to prepare for shutdown threshhold is not a trivial matter either.
Oct 28 2020 03:00pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 28 Oct 2020 22:56)
You can still have exponential growth even if you take countermeasures.

Yes, but ceteris paribus, this doesnt lead to different end results if the threshold for countermeasures is identical in both countries.

and having a larger window to prepare for shutdown threshhold is not a trivial matter either.

That's a better argument. A shutdown requires some reaction time. Not necessarily the logistics of it, but mustering the political will to do it. This could be a problem particularly in states like TX/FL/GA.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Oct 28 2020 03:01pm
Gold: 2,489.69
Oct 28 2020 03:28pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Oct 28 2020 03:38pm)
Same, I work from home most days, and I'm an introverted nerd anyway. I still want neither mass deaths nor an economic apocalypse. Both would affect me, even if I dont have or want to leave my home.

And I realize that it's really tough for extroverts, for school children, but also seniors in nursing homes which cannot receive visits from their family members.

Zoom and Facebook messenger have been a savior with my grandparents. Not in nursing home but stuck at home
Oct 28 2020 03:35pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 28 Oct 2020 23:28)
Zoom and Facebook messenger have been a savior with my grandparents. Not in nursing home but stuck at home

For a lot of older folks who aren't digital natives like us, this stuff is still a huge hurdle. My mother is still using Internet Explorer because the different UI in any other browser would be too much for her to handle. And she's not that old, lol.
You also have some 90 year olds in nursing homes, and their only regular family contact is their 70 year old daughter who has no clue about zoom or facebook either. Also, most residents of nursing homes dont own tablets or smartphones.

For many grannies and gramps, zoom calls are not a viable solution.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Oct 28 2020 03:35pm
Gold: 4,946.71
Oct 28 2020 05:21pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Oct 28 2020 04:28pm)

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Oct 28 2020 04:35pm)
For a lot of older folks who aren't digital natives like us, this stuff is still a huge hurdle. My mother is still using Internet Explorer because the different UI in any other browser would be too much for her to handle. And she's not that old, lol.
You also have some 90 year olds in nursing homes, and their only regular family contact is their 70 year old daughter who has no clue about zoom or facebook either. Also, most residents of nursing homes dont own tablets or smartphones.

For many grannies and gramps, zoom calls are not a viable solution.

100% on both posts

If grand Parents are at home and have wiling family, these tech platforms are godsends. The following may be a generalization, especially from a personal standpoint because historically brown culture treats elders differently, but as a whole Americans are fully content with granny /grandpa depressed in a nursing homes. It is so sad how we treat our elderly in the US
Gold: 0.00
Oct 28 2020 05:32pm
imagine the outrage from the extremists here if a dem admin had boggled the corona response as bad as the trump admin has
Oct 28 2020 05:55pm
Quote (Bazi @ 29 Oct 2020 01:21)
The following may be a generalization, especially from a personal standpoint because historically brown culture treats elders differently, but as a whole Americans are fully content with granny /grandpa depressed in a nursing homes. It is so sad how we treat our elderly in the US

I think this is exacerbated by America's "two adults, five jobs, barely scraping by" society. Caring for elderly family members is often times a huge burden, and too many American families dont have the breathing room to shoulder it. In most Asian or African cultures, you have at least one family member (typically the wife) who isnt working full-time and has the capacity to carry out this care work.

It is of course exacerbated by a culture which glorifies the productive and "winners" while scorning the "losers" and underperformers.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 28 2020 05:56pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Oct 28 2020 07:55pm)
I think this is exacerbated by America's "two adults, five jobs, barely scraping by" society. Caring for elderly family members is often times a huge burden, and too many American families dont have the breathing room to shoulder it. In most Asian or African cultures, you have at least one family member (typically the wife) who isnt working full-time and has the capacity to carry out this care work.

It is of course exacerbated by a culture which glorifies the productive and "winners" while scorning the "losers" and underperformers.

lmao what drugs are you on?

This post was edited by Budgeting on Oct 28 2020 05:57pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Oct 28 2020 06:01pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Oct 28 2020 03:59pm)
have u guys tried blaming it all on the jews?

in reality it was actually trumps fault
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1735736737738739910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll