d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Need A New Laptop For School
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 632.75
Jan 18 2020 01:56am
I dont need anything crazy, just a basic laptop, probably wont play any games on it, but I still want it to be decent

I've never been pc savvy, and I dont really wanna do a lot of research.

So yea, keeping it simple, what are the top recommended brands? and where do you shop?

mac's have become extremely popular and I dont think I want to make the switch unless someone could convince me.

I can't think of any benefit to switching... new OS, overpriced, difficulties with many products
the only benefits I've ever heard were that they are better for video editing software etc. and they are less susceptible to viruses (but I don't think that's really the case anymore)
Gold: 2.77
Jan 20 2020 01:56am
Note book ofc 11 inch
Gold: 0.00
Jan 20 2020 11:19pm
Quote (Ramy @ 18 Jan 2020 01:56)
I dont need anything crazy, just a basic laptop, probably wont play any games on it, but I still want it to be decent

I've never been pc savvy, and I dont really wanna do a lot of research.

So yea, keeping it simple, what are the top recommended brands? and where do you shop?

mac's have become extremely popular and I dont think I want to make the switch unless someone could convince me.

I can't think of any benefit to switching... new OS, overpriced, difficulties with many products
the only benefits I've ever heard were that they are better for video editing software etc. and they are less susceptible to viruses (but I don't think that's really the case anymore)

Windows 7 has always been Gamers Best Choice ( easy to navigate )
windows 10 , is a little harder to navigate, but has pretty much pre-built Programs that will help with all your highschool needs, and some of college needs.
Example, microsoft office.... google products.

Macintosh , is like used for Programming or used for company's that do a lot of Billing/statements for soda vendors ect. Would be a really bad choice for someone for school .
Pretty much is just a Brand name.... and a lot harder to navigate, and a lot harder to do anything on, like play games,music,movies, browse the internet , or even use simple things like calculators or microsoft word ect.
Its more virus proof, because nobody hardly uses a Mac... so there are less people inventing viruses for that operating system.
again brand name... Your paying 3x the price, for the same amount of hardware. Kind of line android vs apple, and Amd vs intel Cpu's

or like a wal-mart watch for 40$ , vs a 500$ rolex brand watch...
Most wal-mart watch's are water proof now...

But anyways you get the idea.

I personally use windows 10... Because thats what most stuff is compatible with now days.
also its easy to do media share, and steam to tv's , and share calenders/files widgets ect

Also I highly recommend a SSD ( solid state drive ) , there is no more waiting 5 to 7 minutes for a computer to start up/ restart ect, or taking for ever for programs to install/load
its now like 5 to 7 seconds ha ha.

This post was edited by conetopia on Jan 20 2020 11:21pm
Gold: 84.10
Jan 21 2020 09:46am
Quote (conetopia @ Jan 20 2020 11:19pm)
Windows 7 has always been Gamers Best Choice ( easy to navigate )
windows 10 , is a little harder to navigate, but has pretty much pre-built Programs that will help with all your highschool needs, and some of college needs.
Example, microsoft office.... google products.

Macintosh , is like used for Programming or used for company's that do a lot of Billing/statements for soda vendors ect. Would be a really bad choice for someone for school .
Pretty much is just a Brand name.... and a lot harder to navigate, and a lot harder to do anything on, like play games,music,movies, browse the internet , or even use simple things like calculators or microsoft word ect.
Its more virus proof, because nobody hardly uses a Mac... so there are less people inventing viruses for that operating system.
again brand name... Your paying 3x the price, for the same amount of hardware. Kind of line android vs apple, and Amd vs intel Cpu's

or like a wal-mart watch for 40$ , vs a 500$ rolex brand watch...
Most wal-mart watch's are water proof now...

But anyways you get the idea.

I personally use windows 10... Because thats what most stuff is compatible with now days.
also its easy to do media share, and steam to tv's , and share calenders/files widgets ect

Also I highly recommend a SSD ( solid state drive ) , there is no more waiting 5 to 7 minutes for a computer to start up/ restart ect, or taking for ever for programs to install/load
its now like 5 to 7 seconds ha ha.

what the fuck at bolded
navigation really lol and do you realize 7 is dead pretty much now days
gamers jumped to 10 for dx12 and many games that need it
macs are used for everywhere now days on video/audio editing along
macs are not bad for school wtf

so much facepalm here
Gold: 1,681.00
Jan 23 2020 10:19am
Quote (yupitsmeh @ Jan 21 2020 10:46am)
what the fuck at bolded
navigation really lol and do you realize 7 is dead pretty much now days
gamers jumped to 10 for dx12 and many games that need it
macs are used for everywhere now days on video/audio editing along
macs are not bad for school wtf

so much facepalm here

Classicshell

I put it on 30 laptops for old-timers who barely understood win 7 navi when I upgraded all of them to ten.

Haven't heard a peep from anyone.

E: Macs sometimes don't support legacy portlets which may be needed for modeling ( brother is doing metrology) Mac is specifically not an option.
In addition, stay away from Windows 10 S.
It only allows apps available on MS store which can also prevent legacy models your class may require.

This post was edited by Gothmog_Lord_of_Balrogs on Jan 23 2020 10:23am
Gold: 84.10
Jan 23 2020 10:27am
Quote (Gothmog_Lord_of_Balrogs @ Jan 23 2020 10:19am)
Classicshell

I put it on 30 laptops for old-timers who barely understood win 7 navi when I upgraded all of them to ten.

Haven't heard a peep from anyone.

E: Macs sometimes don't support legacy portlets which may be needed for modeling ( brother is doing metrology) Mac is specifically not an option.
In addition, stay away from Windows 10 S.
It only allows apps available on MS store which can also prevent legacy models your class may require.

no need to tell me about classic shell
been using it long time messed around before 8 with it also because i wanted more control, did use other shells but they pretty much died

aston shell was another one i spend alot of time on

This post was edited by yupitsmeh on Jan 23 2020 10:28am
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll