d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo > Diablo 4 > D4 Discussion > Poe2 Vs D4 > Bli$$ard Got Their Work Cut Out For Them
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 742.00
Dec 5 2019 09:10am
Quote (Djunior @ Dec 5 2019 07:37am)
It's not an xpac, more like a remaster with a lot of stuff added that takes PoE to the next lvl.

PoE put D3 to shame, PoE2 will be true competition for D4 if the devs show the same rockstar mentality the D3 devs had. Killing all trade, shut up pvp guy, f that loser and more of that juicy stuff

the retarded Wilson brother lost the battle for sure
Gold: 5.50
Dec 6 2019 02:42am
Quote (Djunior @ 5 Dec 2019 17:37)
It's not an xpac, more like a remaster with a lot of stuff added that takes PoE to the next lvl.

PoE put D3 to shame, PoE2 will be true competition for D4 if the devs show the same rockstar mentality the D3 devs had. Killing all trade, shut up pvp guy, f that loser and more of that juicy stuff

D3 failed as a project, it is not related to POE in any way lol.
Gold: 0.70
Dec 6 2019 04:24am
poe2 looks more like d2r than poe ever looked like d2's true successor
i know poe/poe2/d4 all are going to be the same "type" of game, but i can see both being successful.

looks good, but i'm still more excited for d4, though i'll be giving poe2 a try.

Quote (Derek @ Nov 16 2019 12:50pm)
after watching exilecon D4 will def need to step it up if they want to compete with poe 2 i did find it funny they ripped shape shifting from d4 though

it's not like shapeshifting is a "unique to blizzard" mechanic.

Quote (Madmaxio @ Dec 6 2019 12:42am)

d3 is a good game, it is just not a good diablo game
if it went by any other name it would have been popular and maintained a better playerbase, but it was a tragic shitshow of a sequel to (personal opinion) the masterpiece d2lod was.
of course, d2lod has its shortcomings, but it's still a masterfully created game. i don't forsee any game ever having itemization anywhere near as deep and complex as d2 did it.

This post was edited by handlewithnocare on Dec 6 2019 04:27am
Gold: 98,921.50
Dec 6 2019 08:08am
Quote (Madmaxio @ Dec 6 2019 03:42pm)

Agreed, D3 failed because of the way the project was managed. One example is that they hired a game director who had no experience working on ARPG games and it didn't even cross their minds that this could be a problem. All they cared about was that the guy had worked on a number of successful titles, was a good team worker and so on. Then you get this guy saying "shut up pvp guys" etc and in the end a diablo game that wasn't a diablo game.
Gold: 482.40
Dec 6 2019 01:32pm
Quote (Djunior @ Dec 6 2019 06:08am)
Agreed, D3 failed because of the way the project was managed. One example is that they hired a game director who had no experience working on ARPG games and it didn't even cross their minds that this could be a problem. All they cared about was that the guy had worked on a number of successful titles, was a good team worker and so on. Then you get this guy saying "shut up pvp guys" etc and in the end a diablo game that wasn't a diablo game.

the game failed because blizzard south was arrogant and thought they could make "their" version of diablo. the problem is they didnt even come up with anything new they just took d2 and made it "theirs" and it sucked
Dec 6 2019 10:02pm
Quote (BlizzNorth @ Dec 7 2019 02:32am)
the game failed because blizzard south was arrogant and thought they could make "their" version of diablo. the problem is they didnt even come up with anything new they just took d2 and made it "theirs" and it sucked

No.
The real problem is the suits, the guys making the decisions. If you would have had a look at the job opening for D3 game director, and I did, then you saw a list of requirements. The first requirement was "must have worked on a number of successful triple A titles. Then a bunch of requirements like "must have excellent communication skills" down to "must be comfortable making public appearances". And guess what, the last point on the list read "ARPG experience is not required but considered a plus".

This is a prime example of the money men making decisions. They want people on the game that have worked on many successful games as in their view this translate in the best chances for the game selling tons of copies.

What they should have done is hire people who new D2 from A to Z including knowing the D2 community. It would have prevented all that friction between the D3 dev team we had and prevented all the bad decisions they made because they thought they knew it all better from their elevated position over those pesky D2 fans (regarded as trolls).
Dec 6 2019 10:18pm
Quote (Djunior @ Dec 6 2019 08:02pm)
No.
The real problem is the suits, the guys making the decisions. If you would have had a look at the job opening for D3 game director, and I did, then you saw a list of requirements. The first requirement was "must have worked on a number of successful triple A titles. Then a bunch of requirements like "must have excellent communication skills" down to "must be comfortable making public appearances". And guess what, the last point on the list read "ARPG experience is not required but considered a plus".

This is a prime example of the money men making decisions. They want people on the game that have worked on many successful games as in their view this translate in the best chances for the game selling tons of copies.

What they should have done is hire people who new D2 from A to Z including knowing the D2 community. It would have prevented all that friction between the D3 dev team we had and prevented all the bad decisions they made because they thought they knew it all better from their elevated position over those pesky D2 fans (regarded as trolls).

i disagree d3 is on blizz south developers. they knew what art style they were making and what cartoon stories they were making. yeah im sure you have a point too but still

also i dont think having worked on an ARPG should be a requirement for developing diablo either. you just need to be a good game dev

This post was edited by BlizzNorth on Dec 6 2019 10:20pm
Dec 6 2019 10:53pm
Quote (BlizzNorth @ Dec 7 2019 11:18am)
i disagree d3 is on blizz south developers. they knew what art style they were making and what cartoon stories they were making. yeah im sure you have a point too but still

also i dont think having worked on an ARPG should be a requirement for developing diablo either. you just need to be a good game dev

The devs are the workers. They follow the game design document which is made way in advance. This GDD analyses everything and a major factor is marketing and reaching the largest audience. If the current trend is that colorful games attract the largest audiences then the GDD states the needed artstyle together with concept art as examples.

I'm on several game dev forums and the tone is always money and reaching large audiences. It's not as simple as you seem to think. They don't just hire a bunch of people and tell them to make the next diablo game as they please.

Secondly, we have seen what happens when you hire a game director who isn't hardcore ARPG fan. Shut up pvp guys is a good example but there are many more.
Dec 6 2019 11:02pm
ok then blizz south is shit for following such a structure. good companies dont follow that shit
Dec 6 2019 11:58pm
Quote (BlizzNorth @ Dec 7 2019 12:02pm)
ok then blizz south is shit for following such a structure. good companies dont follow that shit

The bigger the company the worse it gets. Condor was basically a startup designing their dream game before they got bought up by bli$$ard. We hardly see these initiatives anymore, it's all sequels to established franchises or otherwise proven ground. I agree it's shitty for the gamer
Go Back To D4 Discussion Topic List
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll