d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Buying Greenland
Prev12345611Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,655.00
Aug 21 2019 10:49am
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Aug 21 2019 08:50am)
It's funny how pard Americans still live in the glorious post ww2 era while it's no longer the case..
Your model is not working
We are no longer trusting you

You will not buy a shit

You better get used to it

You're sounding a little worried there.
Gold: 2,489.69
Aug 21 2019 10:50am
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Aug 21 2019 07:50am)
It's funny how pard Americans still live in the glorious post ww2 era while it's no longer the case..

You will not buy a shit

i didnt realized Trump offered to buy France too.
Gold: 397.77
Aug 21 2019 10:55am
Wont ever happen.

The queen or prime minister mette fredriksen wouldnt allow it never.

Mette fredriksen said 'de må være skøre hvis de tror de'

Which translates to, they must be crazy if they think that.
Gold: 2,489.69
Aug 21 2019 10:56am
Quote (TeemoSoloOnly @ Aug 21 2019 11:55am)
Wont ever happen.

The queen or prime minister mette fredriksen wouldnt allow it never.

Mette fredriksen said 'de må være skøre hvis de tror de'

Which translates to, they must be crazy if they think that.

the must be crazy if they think that:

A. Trump can win the nomination
B. Trump can beat HRC
C. Trump can make it through one term without getting impeached
D. Trump can stare at the sun with naked eyes and not go blind
E. All of the above

This post was edited by thesnipa on Aug 21 2019 10:57am
Gold: 17,384.69
Aug 21 2019 11:13am
Quote (thesnipa @ 21 Aug 2019 18:50)
i didnt realized Trump offered to buy France too.

He offered to fuck his own country, and honestly: the show is good, really, really good.
Gold: 2,094.99
Aug 21 2019 11:37am
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Aug 21 2019 07:50am)

You will not buy a shit

We’re still the most powerful country in the world / most powerful military / largest economy

While France has not only stayed as irrelevant as ever, but somehow managed to become an irrelevant piece of shit

Keep fighting the good fight tho, Garcón, & spend all your time chiming in on American politics on an American website!

Gold: 0.00
Aug 21 2019 11:44am
Quote (CarsV @ Aug 21 2019 08:34am)
Trump is a bottomless bag of memes and laughs, but not everything from him is as far-fetched as people initially assume. Remember the Space Force idea? That was actually not an original idea by Trump and the idea had legitimately explored by NASA and the government since the 90s, and I think one of the proposed names was literally Space Force or something similar. Reason being the Air Force generally works closely with NASA, satellite systems, and other space-related defense. With our eventual and ever increasing exploration into space, as well as the inevitable militarization of space with more countries like China entering the scene, it seemed logical to create a new department to handle these things.

Anyway, I digress. As for Greenland, I have to admit I'm kind of intrigued. For one, it does have resources and the Danes aren't exactly a dynamic people who are willing to utilize them. Two, said resources are not readily accessible and there is an environmental factor (do we humans really need to fuck up every piece of land on this planet?). Three, the economic ramifications could be too troublesome. Remember, despite what some might say, America is not the richest country, we're drowning in debt, we're just the best at spending. Look at Puerto Rico. Nothing but dead weight. Not sure if we need more of that.

There is another aspect to consider, though. Greenland is strategically important. I suspect if China or Russia show the slightest interest in it (which could potentially provoke NATO), Greenland would likely choose to become a US territory. IIRC most of the people there already speak English and they have a degree of governing autonomy from Denmark. I dunno, it's definitely interesting and seemingly came out of nowhere. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

Lmao there's nothing to develop. Greenland isn't for sale. This is Trump running the country like a reality TV show to take focus off whatever new scandal came out this week. Epstein, border camps, racist rallies...take your pick.
Gold: 3.33
Aug 21 2019 12:14pm
To buy Greenland the people of Greenland AND Denmark would have to vote on it and both get a majority.
Gold: 945.00
Aug 21 2019 12:20pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 21 2019 02:03pm)
the west also colonized china, vietnam and so on, and they dont struggle as much. even among african or latin american countries, there are huge differences in their recent trajectories which can only be explained by their contemporary politics and not by the colonial era.

also, the west cannot be blamed for the conflict between shiites and sunnis which has been ravaging the muslim world for 1400 years. (1) it also cannot be blamed for events like the genocide in Ruanda, which was sparked by animosities between neighboring Tutsi and Hutu tribes.
(2) south africa hasnt made much progress either under black rule since the end of apartheid.

(3) germany never colonized ethiopia, italy did. and only halfway; ethiopia is in fact one of the countries on this planet which has been a sovereign entity (at least on paper) the longest. furthermore, ethiopia up until recently has been one of the most successful african countries with a very positive development. it was considered a role-model, and compared to most other african countries, it still is, despite the increasing tensions and the increasingly authoritarian government.

1) Tutsi and Hutu segregation was created by Belgium colonization. They defined the groups and gave one group the better jobs, making them "superior". Now that's the breeding ground for "sparking animosities". Blame thrown there is valid.
2) Economic growth in SA is stagnating at a mere 3.5% in the foreseeable future, they want to be at 6% but that doesn't mean the country isn't doing well socially and economically, post the official point in history, to get rid of apartheid (massive social improvement!). Creating apartheid though, those were the Dutch and British.
3) And this must be me, but, when I think about the few countries Germany colonized I always think about Namibia. What was tested there and left a trail of bodies. Think that should be included when you're talking about where Germany has not been.

History isn't pretty, in most colonies we've left a social scar and depleted resources (a good reason to not be trusted with the Amazone). The economic growth we've created in history didn't benefit the locals in most cases... It still doesn't today tbh. We've still got Oil rich countries not getting a fair share for the resources they sell, Heineken not paying taxes in Africa and tourist hotels and resorts owned by western investors, importing western products and transferring all the profits back to the west. Now that might have been similar/worse/better in a what if there was no colonization in the past 300 years, but that butterfly effect would be impossible to predict. Perhaps they'd have more autonomy over the economy and sell resources and services at a decent price, giving a country a decent tax and the citizens a decent income, or still see capital generated by the means of production being transported overseas by multinationals. (modern colonization :P )

This post was edited by Knoppie on Aug 21 2019 12:28pm
Gold: 945.00
Aug 21 2019 12:39pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Aug 21 2019 04:06am)
I'm sure some of you have heard about this and most probably laughed at Trump for it, but I think it's a really good idea. Doubt an outright sale happens, but I expect trade & investment in Greenland to increase.

Why is Greenland valuable?

Rare earth oxides are obviously not the only natural resource there, but it's the most notable if you look at this from a lense of trade issues with China. It makes sense for the US and other countries for that matter to have a diversified supply of rare earth elements.

https://www.ft.com/content/f418bb86-bdb2-11e9-89e2-41e555e96722

There's also the issue of global warming, that might make some of these more northern regions more appealing. If at some point some of the equatorial & sub-equatorial, island regions become less habitable due to global warming, Greenland might become a top destination.

At this point, when we're already in heavy debt, if we offered the Danes one trillion dollars and they took it, it would be a win-win. Danes, a tiny country with a tiny population would be even richer, meanwhile, we get a pretty valuable landmass to develop.

Thoughts?

Top climate change denier sees profit in climate change.

Flip Flop

Quote (zarkadon @ Aug 21 2019 11:34am)
Nope, that's exactly what I thought too. It's such an absurd and outlandish idea for 21st century standards, that when I first saw a headline of this I figured it was just a screenshot from a joke news site like the Onion. Honestly lol'd irl. There's no way they were bieng serious, and it's just giving the media something to talk about.

Or he didn't want to go to Denmark, the meeting has just been cancelled. Interesting.. What's going on behind closed doors ? ^^

Emotions about not getting support for policing Hormuz from Europe ? Most likely imo.

This post was edited by Knoppie on Aug 21 2019 01:02pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345611Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll