d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Pc Restarts During Gameplay Loading
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.90
Jun 17 2019 08:30pm
Hi there,

my pc is experiencing a problem where it will shutdown and restart during load screens in game, more specifically while playing Path of Exile. It really only happens so far when I'm loading into an area and not during actual gameplay. The part which is strange to me is that it will load these areas with no problems, then suddenly when entering one it will decide to shutdown. I can play for a couple hours and the temperature is always stable in a comfortable range, then randomly it when loading an area will restart.

I brought my pc into Canada Computers recently for a diagnostic, they fixed some driver issues but they did not find anything to be wrong elsewhere and my pc continues with this problem

This is 100% not an overheating issue. I have a H100i cooling system, I've done the tests, Canada Computers ran tests and it is not due to overheating. Overheating was my first thought but I know for certain it is not.

My thought now is that it must be a hardware issue. I've been playing this game for like 3-4 years on this rig and have not had a single issue until like a month ago, I have never overclocked nor have I really changed anything. It will honestly run fine most of the time.

If you guys have some suggestions as to where a problem may lie, by all means feel free to let me know. I will try anything at this point. I really wanted to avoid putting anymore money into it as I was hoping to run this rig for a couple more years before going for a completely new build. I'm totally stumped, the only thing that I can think of would be possible damage during a cleaning I performed in April, but I've always taken care while doing this

Not sure of the procedures here but my specs:

Windows 10
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970
i5 4690k
8gb RAM
500GB WD Black NVMe SSD
EVGA NEX650G power supply

This post was edited by Meatstick on Jun 17 2019 08:50pm
Gold: 2,385.00
Jun 18 2019 04:32pm
Start by unpluggin everything and plug it back in, might be a loose connection since it happen for no fuckin reason and randomly

Make sure everything is nice n tight
Gold: 0.00
Jun 19 2019 06:28am
Quote (Meatstick @ Jun 18 2019 04:30am)
This is 100% not an overheating issue. I have a H100i cooling system, I've done the tests, Canada Computers ran tests and it is not due to overheating.

u ran tests but have u downloaded HWmonitor and checked temps?

Quote (Meatstick @ Jun 18 2019 04:30am)
I've been playing this game for like 3-4 years on this rig and have not had a single issue until like a month ago

sounds like the aio cooler starting to fail after running 4 years.. this would be pretty common actually..

edit: ur temps might be fine during gameplay even if the aio is not working... but in loading screen ur cpu will crack up to 100%, overheat and cause auto shutdown/restart

This post was edited by Haj on Jun 19 2019 06:32am
Jun 19 2019 11:34am
Quote (Haj @ 19 Jun 2019 07:28)
u ran tests but have u downloaded HWmonitor and checked temps?

sounds like the aio cooler starting to fail after running 4 years.. this would be pretty common actually..

edit: ur temps might be fine during gameplay even if the aio is not working... but in loading screen ur cpu will crack up to 100%, overheat and cause auto shutdown/restart

I should have mentioned the cooler is newer, probably still less than 2 years. I’ll look into it again. Everything else has been in since I built it except the SSD which is brand new, I got it installed when I brought my pc for diagnostics

This post was edited by Meatstick on Jun 19 2019 11:35am
Gold: 18,352.00
Jun 19 2019 01:04pm
If its not a lose connection like suggested above it may be...

a gpu issue either power or driver related.

Download DDU
Go into safe mode and run it
remove all nvidia and amd drivers
then go back to windows and run it.

use hwmonitor to monitor voltages and see what the power spikes are like during the crash.

or a bad ssd

in which case try another drive.
Jun 19 2019 01:42pm
Quote (King Atrhur @ 19 Jun 2019 14:04)
If its not a lose connection like suggested above it may be...

a gpu issue either power or driver related.

Download DDU
Go into safe mode and run it
remove all nvidia and amd drivers
then go back to windows and run it.

use hwmonitor to monitor voltages and see what the power spikes are like during the crash.

or a bad ssd

in which case try another drive.

Thanks I’ll try this. It can’t be a bad SSD though because it was happening while I had my old SSD, and I upgraded like a week ago at the same time I got it checked. It’s still happening but far less frequently. They found some driver issues but reinstalled everything and should have fixed those.

Which makes me question my hardware. I’ll give your suggestions a go
Jun 21 2019 06:13am
The problem may have been my graphics card. Bought a temporary one and have not had an issue yet, although I’m going to test it for a week or so

It’s weird because they pushed everything to max during the stress tests

This post was edited by Meatstick on Jun 21 2019 06:13am
Gold: 2,971.74
Trader: Mediator
Jun 21 2019 07:04am
Quote (Meatstick @ Jun 21 2019 06:13am)
The problem may have been my graphics card. Bought a temporary one and have not had an issue yet, although I’m going to test it for a week or so

It’s weird because they pushed everything to max during the stress tests

This is stock timings, too? Didn't adjust voltage or anything like that on the card?

May be an odd one here, but I had a similar issue to this when my GPU started to sag and must have had poor connection to a couple pins.. did this same thing. As Atrhur said, I'd be more leaning towards driver stuff..if you're using autodetect stuff, try using the manual driver for your gpu instead (search your gpu + support and you'll find it)
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll