d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Gulf Of Oman Tanker Attacks > War With Iran Imminent?
Prev1234535Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 11,571.00
Jun 13 2019 11:02pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Jun 13 2019 09:52pm)
There are plenty of possible motivations
Power play for leverage in nuclear negotiations. Rattling the Saudis. Stirring up intentional instability in oil markets. Increasing their credibility as a threat, for deterrence. Rogue actors, the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. Strategic incompetence.
Iran has been trying to assert dominance over the strait of Hormuz for decades. They've been using their threat to block shipping as leverage since the revolution, and without a credible threat they lose that leverage.
Iran could have been banking on the western media and their online influence campaigns spinning the fallout to actually pressure the west instead of themselves due to the rampant denialism / conspiracy theorizing.
Or they could have simply be making a foolish miscalculation and thinking this power play would pay off.

It's hard for me to look at the mosaic of foreign intervention they have under their belt and then see them make foolish decisions like this imo, seems out of character.

Tensions have increased further since Trump acted at the beginning of May to force Iran’s oil customers to slash their imports to zero or face draconian U.S. financial sanctions. Iran’s oil exports have dropped to around 400,000 barrels per day in May from 2.5 million bpd in April last year.

Considering the quoted, i suppose it's possible they're being squeezed so tight that they might just do something like this but given our track record of interventionism i'm going to be skeptical of any pretext that's used for war & escalation
Gold: 10,655.00
Jun 13 2019 11:10pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Jun 14 2019 12:32am)
We all going to ignore the fact we actually have video/photo evidence?

The Iranians didn't wait 5 hours until everyone was gone to sail up to an empty, already evacuated vessel and stealthily remove an unexploded mine from it for no reason at all.

There ya go. Using that thing called logic again. When will you ever learn.

/e On a side note, the Iranians TOLD US they were gonna start attacking things in the gulf, a month ago.

This post was edited by Ghot on Jun 13 2019 11:12pm
Gold: 5,169.82
Jun 13 2019 11:20pm
Happened to see this news report on CNN. Sounds like pure speculation to me. Sadly, speculation is enough to start wars these days, so I'm a bit worried about what's gonna happen next.
Gold: 22,189.49
Jun 13 2019 11:24pm
Quote (Leevee @ Jun 13 2019 11:20pm)
Happened to see this news report on CNN. Sounds like pure speculation to me. Sadly, speculation is enough to start wars these days, so I'm a bit worried about what's gonna happen next.

Jun 13 2019 11:27pm
Iran warns of firm response if Israel acts against its oil shipments

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran-israel-oil/iran-warns-of-firm-response-if-israel-acts-against-its-oil-shipments-idUSKBN1QU0IB

Iranian officials have threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, a major oil shipping route in the Gulf, if the United States attempts to stop the Islamic Republic’s oil exports.

/e Recent...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-tanker/u-s-blames-iran-for-tanker-attacks-in-gulf-of-oman-iran-rejects-assertion-idUSKCN1TE0OI

/ee WE... us pardians, really don't have enough info to know exactly what's going on. We DO know that since the Jerusalem thing and the Iran Deal withdrawal, Iran has been riling up everyone in the middle east.

/eee Last months attacks were near the large RED dot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/world/middleeast/oil-tanker-attack-gulf-oman.html

Iranian officials on Thursday suggested the new attacks might be the product of an elaborate conspiracy by their enemies, seemingly pointing to American allies like Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates or Israel, which have long urged Washington to take a more muscular approach to Iran.

But many analysts said there was a growing consensus in the West that Iran had been behind last month’s attacks, which took place near the port of Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates. And they argued that Iran appeared to be seeking to demonstrate it could imperil the world’s oil markets, but without leaving the kind of fingerprints that could trigger American military retaliation.

This post was edited by Ghot on Jun 13 2019 11:56pm
Jun 14 2019 12:11am
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48630374

The location of last month's attacks (as per the NYT) are shown by the large RED dot. The two recent attacks are also shown.

/e

U.S. releases video it says shows Iran's military recovering mine

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-tanker-usa-release/u-s-releases-video-it-says-shows-irans-military-recovering-mine-idUSKCN1TF071

But much of the chronology centered on the movement of nearby Iranian ships, and what Central Command said was an Iranian order to take control of Altair sailors who had been rescued.

About an hour after the Kokuka Courageous’ distress call, a U.S. aircraft observed an IRGC Hendijan-class patrol boat and multiple IRGC fast attack craft and fast inshore attack craft near the Altair, Urban said.

He said that at 9:26 a.m. Iranian forces told a ship that had rescued sailors from the Altair “to turn the crew over to the Iranian (fast inshore attack craft).”

“The motor vessel Hyundai Dubai complied with the request and transferred the crew of the Altair to the Iranian (vessels),” Urban said.

I wonder why Iran wanted the Norwegian sailors?

/ee

Iran says it is in charge of security of Strait of Hormuz - state Radio

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-attacks-iran/iran-says-it-is-in-charge-of-security-of-strait-of-hormuz-state-radio-idUSKCN1TF0CA

“We are responsible for ensuring the security of the Strait and we have rescued the crew of those attacked tankers in the shortest possible time,” Radio quoted Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi as saying.

“Obviously, accusing Iran for such a suspicious and unfortunate incident is the simplest and the most convenient way for (U.S. Secretary of State Mike) Pompeo and other U.S. officials. These accusations are alarming.”

Meeting on Friday on the sidelines of a regional summit in Kyrgyzstan, Chinese President Xi Jinping told Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani on Friday that China will promote steady development of ties with Iran no matter how the situation changes, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

This post was edited by Ghot on Jun 14 2019 12:27am
Gold: 17,384.69
Jun 14 2019 01:16am
:rofl:

Gold: 17,384.69
Jun 14 2019 02:14am
Don't worry, there's no war incoming ;)
Gold: 285.00
Jun 14 2019 05:44am
Quote (bogie160 @ Jun 13 2019 08:16pm)
There are more than 100,000 members. Let me know whether or not "special forces" was a joke.

The IRG controls an enormous portion of the Iranian domestic economy, you'd have to know very little about Iran to think that they function as a normal extension of the military.

Their direct ties to terrorism overseas are well documented.

Quote (CarsV @ Jun 13 2019 08:49pm)
They're more of a paramilitary force, separate from the Iranian military, with political and religious origins. They've been known to cooperate with terrorist organizations and partake in other questionable endeavors such as smuggling. Comparing them to the US Army Rangers is laugh out loud.

I see. Not to compare everything to Nazis lol but they are more the SS compared to Regular Army, and hold political and economic power, operate outside Iran doing illegal patriotic things, etc. I see.

Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jun 14 2019 06:20am
Quote (Goomshill @ 14 Jun 2019 03:33)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtIR-U0GhhQ

Video of an Iranian fastboat recovering an unexploded limpet mine from the side of the Kokuka Courageous during the attacks.
How are those conspiracy theories / crisis actors / steel beams working out?

oh right, this i exactly as convincing as collin powell holding up a vial of iraqi 'anthrax' and showing slides of alleged WMD facilities. it's not surprising that you just uncritically accept those things, but the WMD lies, the nayirah testimony, and the gulf of tonkin incident are NOT conspiracy theories, those are proven fabricated reasons to justify devastating wars...

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234535Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll