d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > Official Football And Rugby General Chat 3.0 > Music,food,chit Chat
Prev1207208209210211699Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 79,366.46
Jun 25 2019 08:14pm
Quote (TheHeistman @ Jun 25 2019 06:14am)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yzYR29?fbclid=IwAR3OXplPk1VX4nPqGLeaVIw6lESLYZ56qwy_Ry8RCnHNKz-cVhO8yUBRRl8

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NXLdKB?fbclid=IwAR3NFfkJLw0GUi68TcBtfeYOHeiDEtI9GHEkBEbhGCi18qCGHQzfwvrZxVg

thse are 2 builds he made up in my budget. im wanting to spned around 1k on the tower

is an ssd worth? And is the diff in video cards on the two worth it? I googled and it says ones just a newer model

What do you plan to do with this PC? What games will you be playing? How much do you care about graphics? Will you be overclocking?

Also, do you want this PC ASAP, or are you okay with waiting a few weeks or months?

Some initial thoughts: I myself would opt for an SSD, an M2 card being the fastest. Folks who care about transferring files and startup times want something that will work quickly to load the OS, which a HDD doesn't do. But if you're good with waiting a little longer to start your PC or if you just put it to sleep most of the time, and if you don't move files that often, then it's a needless expense for you.

One thing that jumps out to me is that that monitor is really low-end (it's only 1080p and the refresh rate is low). I wouldn't skimp on the monitor. The monitor you want will depend on the games you play. Higher refresh rate (Hz) for competitive online games; higher resolution and color quality at the expense of Hz for other games. And if you plan to watch movies and stuff on it, maybe you want 4k.

You might actually want to consider waiting like AnimeA was saying, though perhaps for a different reason: People are going to be upgrading their old systems after the new chips come out. You will be able to find used parts from people upgrading their old systems, or perhaps you can find a whole system that is used. I know it's more work, but keeping an eye on Craigs-list, e-bay, or https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/ would really give you better bang for your buck.

If you were to just purchase two parts that affect your system more than anything, I'd buy the CPU and GPU (video card) used. Those two parts determine your system's performance more than anything, and it's there where you can save the most money while boosting your system's performance the most (plus you can usually find someone selling CPU+Mobo+cooler together for cheap). Buuuuut if you just want to buy everything new because it's quick, easy, and safe I'd totally understand. This system is alright the way it is; it just isn't anything special from a price/performance ratio.

This post was edited by Terps on Jun 25 2019 08:15pm
Gold: 15,189.30
Jun 26 2019 03:17am
Quote (Terps @ Jun 25 2019 07:14pm)
What do you plan to do with this PC? What games will you be playing? How much do you care about graphics? Will you be overclocking?

Also, do you want this PC ASAP, or are you okay with waiting a few weeks or months?

Some initial thoughts: I myself would opt for an SSD, an M2 card being the fastest. Folks who care about transferring files and startup times want something that will work quickly to load the OS, which a HDD doesn't do. But if you're good with waiting a little longer to start your PC or if you just put it to sleep most of the time, and if you don't move files that often, then it's a needless expense for you.

One thing that jumps out to me is that that monitor is really low-end (it's only 1080p and the refresh rate is low). I wouldn't skimp on the monitor. The monitor you want will depend on the games you play. Higher refresh rate (Hz) for competitive online games; higher resolution and color quality at the expense of Hz for other games. And if you plan to watch movies and stuff on it, maybe you want 4k.

You might actually want to consider waiting like AnimeA was saying, though perhaps for a different reason: People are going to be upgrading their old systems after the new chips come out. You will be able to find used parts from people upgrading their old systems, or perhaps you can find a whole system that is used. I know it's more work, but keeping an eye on Craigs-list, e-bay, or https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/ would really give you better bang for your buck.

If you were to just purchase two parts that affect your system more than anything, I'd buy the CPU and GPU (video card) used. Those two parts determine your system's performance more than anything, and it's there where you can save the most money while boosting your system's performance the most (plus you can usually find someone selling CPU+Mobo+cooler together for cheap). Buuuuut if you just want to buy everything new because it's quick, easy, and safe I'd totally understand. This system is alright the way it is; it just isn't anything special from a price/performance ratio.

play games. not really sure what games tbh. I don't evne know if i am gonna use the pc cus i dont play anything really high detail atm, altho alot of that may just be due to i cant cus of my current comp. I also want it to be able to play old games.

I asked if the market is good atm, cus i remember parts being expensive awhile ago due to the bitcoin craze. He said it is, but said prices may increase if the tarrifs on china pass or whatever

do i need a really good monitor? what would major differences be? I don't feel like i need a really high one
Jun 26 2019 07:07am
Quote (TheHeistman @ Jun 26 2019 05:17am)
do i need a really good monitor? what would major differences be? I don't feel like i need a really high one

In my opinion, there are only a few things that really matter in choosing a monitor: 1) aspect ratio, 2) resolution, 3) FPS, 4) Frame Syncing, and 5) affordability. Because it's impossible to really appreciate the differences in these qualities, you pretty much have to go to a computer hardware store (Best Buy etc.) to see the differences for yourself.

1) Aspect Ratio: One thing you have to decide if you want a wide-screen (21:9) monitor or a normal 16:9 ratio monitor. If that wide wrap-around feel appeals to you, then you might want a wide-screen monitor. Personally, I love my widescreen, since it feels more immersive, but if you choose a wide-screen monitor then you have to make sacrifices in other areas (either in FPS, resolution, or affordability). Alternately, you could have multiple monitor screens for a wide-screen effect, although I find that bevel between monitors utterly intolerable.

2) Resolution: You've probably noticed this whenever you stroll into a store that sells TVs. Compare how sharp those 4k TVs look to a basic 1080p: there's a huge difference. This difference is a bit different on a computer monitor though, since you're closer to the screen. Also there's 2k resolution for PCs, which is a middle-ground of sorts. The difference is perceptible, but you have to decide for yourself how much this matters to you. Here's a video that tries to demonstrate it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-3ACiPM9y4

3) FPS (Frames per Second, represented in Hz): This is where a lot of people have differing opinions. Generally speaking, there's three tiers: low-tier (~60 Hz), mid-tier (~120-144 Hz), and high-tier (200-240 Hz). Again, this is something you just have to see in-person and decide how much it matters to you. Nevertheless, here's a useful video that tries to compare the difference in slow-motion:

Personally, I would not get a monitor below 120 Hz because the difference between 60 and 120 is very noticeable for me. Even just moving the mouse cursor is smoother and nicer—I'd never go back to 60. After that, I find the difference between 120 and 144 to be basically imperceptible (you have to really try and see a difference. The video above makes it look way different for some reason, but it isn't). Getting a 240 Hz monitor is diminishing returns, since the human eye can process images only but so quickly, but there is definitely a difference between 240 Hz and 120. It looks smoother.

However, 200+ FPS only matters if you play games that will allow you to regularly reach those FPS—this is why I asked which games you'll be playing. If you'll be playing a lot of online competitive multiplayer games or racing games, then those high-end FPS will be available to you. CSGO, for example, supports 240 FPS I believe. On the other hand, if you're playing mainly single-player games that emphasize resolution more than FPS, then those high-end framerates will never come into play. Like, if you plan on playing the latest Tomb Raider game at high resolution, then you'll absolutely never see 240 Hz. You might be lucky to even reach 80 FPS temporarily (FPS fluctuates).

Another thing to consider is that you will be limited by your GPU. Most GPUs aren't going to reach high framerates without sacrificing quality in other areas (resolution, shading, other graphic settings). So you have to decide what matters here and if your GPU can handle it.

4) Frame Syncing: Have you ever played a game and noticed "screen tearing"? I have, and it's fucking annoying. This is why you will want a monitor that has either FreeSync or G-Sync. Freesync is cheaper and most monitors have it (the one in your link has Freesync). G-Sync is better and more consistent, but costs more, and you must have an Nvidia chip that supports it (your build currently does). Personally, I would disqualify any monitor that doesn't come with at least Freesync.

5) Affordability: The more you want out of your monitor, the more it'll cost. You have to decide what matters most to you and rank them in order of importance, because you're going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere and find a balance. You also have to keep in mind that your monitor is only as good as your GPU, so buying a monitor capable of 4k at 144 Hz is pointless if your GPU will bottleneck you to 60 FPS at 4k.

--

For me, because I play mainly single-player games that emphasize high-resolution, I emphasized resolution over FPS. I was never going to see 200 FPS in the games I play at high resolution, so getting a 200-240 Hz monitor was pointless (also, if you get a 200-240 Hz monitor, you're stuck with 1080p). I ultimately settled on a 120 Hz monitor, which was my minimum (60 Hz looks noticeably choppier). However, because I really wanted a wide-screen aspect ratio, I had to cut back on the resolution (couldn't get 4k within my price range, but 2k was affordable. This was the most difficult decision for me. If I had to do it over again, I might opt for 4k at 144 Hz over the wide aspect ratio). I also really wanted G-Sync, so that was an automatic prerequisite in my search. However, if I had sacrificed in one of these areas (especially aspect ratio), I could have gotten more in other areas. Another thing is that my GPU is high-end, so I knew I would be able to utilize all of my monitor's potential.

Since it sounds like you'll be using your PC for possibly a wide array of games, I'd try to find something in the middle. Head into PC Part Picker and fool around with the monitor specs until you find something you like. I'd also recommend upping your budget on the monitor a bit. Your PC build won't even matter if your monitor sucks. 1080p and 75 Hz is pretty low-end. Allocating another $50-100 toward the monitor would go a long way, mainly in improving FPS (your current GPU won't allow you to 4k game anyway).

Quote (TheHeistman @ Jun 26 2019 05:17am)
I asked if the market is good atm, cus i remember parts being expensive awhile ago due to the bitcoin craze. He said it is, but said prices may increase if the tarrifs on china pass or whatever

It seems like RAM is still about where it was when the bitcoin frenzy hit. GPU prices have gone down for sure though.

This post was edited by Terps on Jun 26 2019 07:20am
Gold: 0.00
Jun 26 2019 07:48am
Quote (Terps @ Jun 26 2019 05:07am)
In my opinion, there are only a few things that really matter in choosing a monitor: 1) aspect ratio, 2) resolution, 3) FPS, 4) Frame Syncing, and 5) affordability. Because it's impossible to really appreciate the differences in these qualities, you pretty much have to go to a computer hardware store (Best Buy etc.) to see the differences for yourself.

1) Aspect Ratio: One thing you have to decide if you want a wide-screen (21:9) monitor or a normal 16:9 ratio monitor. If that wide wrap-around feel appeals to you, then you might want a wide-screen monitor. Personally, I love my widescreen, since it feels more immersive, but if you choose a wide-screen monitor then you have to make sacrifices in other areas (either in FPS, resolution, or affordability). Alternately, you could have multiple monitor screens for a wide-screen effect, although I find that bevel between monitors utterly intolerable.

2) Resolution: You've probably noticed this whenever you stroll into a store that sells TVs. Compare how sharp those 4k TVs look to a basic 1080p: there's a huge difference. This difference is a bit different on a computer monitor though, since you're closer to the screen. Also there's 2k resolution for PCs, which is a middle-ground of sorts. The difference is perceptible, but you have to decide for yourself how much this matters to you. Here's a video that tries to demonstrate it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-3ACiPM9y4

3) FPS (Frames per Second, represented in Hz): This is where a lot of people have differing opinions. Generally speaking, there's three tiers: low-tier (~60 Hz), mid-tier (~120-144 Hz), and high-tier (200-240 Hz). Again, this is something you just have to see in-person and decide how much it matters to you. Nevertheless, here's a useful video that tries to compare the difference in slow-motion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1cmhZs1P54

Personally, I would not get a monitor below 120 Hz because the difference between 60 and 120 is very noticeable for me. Even just moving the mouse cursor is smoother and nicer—I'd never go back to 60. After that, I find the difference between 120 and 144 to be basically imperceptible (you have to really try and see a difference. The video above makes it look way different for some reason, but it isn't). Getting a 240 Hz monitor is diminishing returns, since the human eye can process images only but so quickly, but there is definitely a difference between 240 Hz and 120. It looks smoother.

However, 200+ FPS only matters if you play games that will allow you to regularly reach those FPS—this is why I asked which games you'll be playing. If you'll be playing a lot of online competitive multiplayer games or racing games, then those high-end FPS will be available to you. CSGO, for example, supports 240 FPS I believe. On the other hand, if you're playing mainly single-player games that emphasize resolution more than FPS, then those high-end framerates will never come into play. Like, if you plan on playing the latest Tomb Raider game at high resolution, then you'll absolutely never see 240 Hz. You might be lucky to even reach 80 FPS temporarily (FPS fluctuates).

Another thing to consider is that you will be limited by your GPU. Most GPUs aren't going to reach high framerates without sacrificing quality in other areas (resolution, shading, other graphic settings). So you have to decide what matters here and if your GPU can handle it.

4) Frame Syncing: Have you ever played a game and noticed "screen tearing"? I have, and it's fucking annoying. This is why you will want a monitor that has either FreeSync or G-Sync. Freesync is cheaper and most monitors have it (the one in your link has Freesync). G-Sync is better and more consistent, but costs more, and you must have an Nvidia chip that supports it (your build currently does). Personally, I would disqualify any monitor that doesn't come with at least Freesync.

5) Affordability: The more you want out of your monitor, the more it'll cost. You have to decide what matters most to you and rank them in order of importance, because you're going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere and find a balance. You also have to keep in mind that your monitor is only as good as your GPU, so buying a monitor capable of 4k at 144 Hz is pointless if your GPU will bottleneck you to 60 FPS at 4k.

--

For me, because I play mainly single-player games that emphasize high-resolution, I emphasized resolution over FPS. I was never going to see 200 FPS in the games I play at high resolution, so getting a 200-240 Hz monitor was pointless (also, if you get a 200-240 Hz monitor, you're stuck with 1080p). I ultimately settled on a 120 Hz monitor, which was my minimum (60 Hz looks noticeably choppier). However, because I really wanted a wide-screen aspect ratio, I had to cut back on the resolution (couldn't get 4k within my price range, but 2k was affordable. This was the most difficult decision for me. If I had to do it over again, I might opt for 4k at 144 Hz over the wide aspect ratio). I also really wanted G-Sync, so that was an automatic prerequisite in my search. However, if I had sacrificed in one of these areas (especially aspect ratio), I could have gotten more in other areas. Another thing is that my GPU is high-end, so I knew I would be able to utilize all of my monitor's potential.

Since it sounds like you'll be using your PC for possibly a wide array of games, I'd try to find something in the middle. Head into PC Part Picker and fool around with the monitor specs until you find something you like. I'd also recommend upping your budget on the monitor a bit. Your PC build won't even matter if your monitor sucks. 1080p and 75 Hz is pretty low-end. Allocating another $50-100 toward the monitor would go a long way, mainly in improving FPS (your current GPU won't allow you to 4k game anyway).

It seems like RAM is still about where it was when the bitcoin frenzy hit. GPU prices have gone down for sure though.

You srs took the time to post all that? Nerd
Gold: 3,500.80
Jun 26 2019 09:33am
Quote (TheHeistman @ Jun 26 2019 03:17am)
play games. not really sure what games tbh. I don't evne know if i am gonna use the pc cus i dont play anything really high detail atm, altho alot of that may just be due to i cant cus of my current comp. I also want it to be able to play old games.

Parts are still cheap compared to a couple years ago. You don't need an amazing monitor if you're still not even sure what games you'll be playing. I'm using a 4 year old monitor and it still works great. If you were building a fancy rig and had a list of AAA titles that you wanted to play, I'd suggest investing in a great monitor. Save the money for better peripherals tbh.
Jun 26 2019 07:26pm
Quote (TheBrownHole @ Jun 26 2019 09:48am)
You srs took the time to post all that? Nerd

Well you know how a short post turns into a long post... just wanted to be thorough. Buying a monitor is a big expense... best to get it right.

/I mean not you specifically, of course lol

Anyone splurge on any Steam summer sale games?

This post was edited by Terps on Jun 26 2019 07:40pm
Gold: 15,189.30
Jun 26 2019 09:57pm
Quote (Terps @ Jun 26 2019 06:26pm)
Well you know how a short post turns into a long post... just wanted to be thorough. Buying a monitor is a big expense... best to get it right.

/I mean not you specifically, of course lol

Anyone splurge on any Steam summer sale games?

I probably will end up playing csgo and league, and probably some triple a titles.

I dont need max settings, hell ive seen high end comps before and im so used to lower specs that it felt hard to follow higher detail. id be happy with mid-low settings but i want things to load fast. Woild it ne worthwhile to get a very good processor and then a lower middle-mid end gfx card?

How noticeable would a game like csgo be on the monitor in the build?

I probably would want to go the ssd route, but one large enough for os and games and then use an hd for porn other stuff.

My current comp hd is 2x 500s or 300s i believe and have only just now filled one after years, altho idk wtf is even on it thats 400g worth. Alot is wow but other than that idk
Jun 27 2019 12:34am
Quote (TheHeistman @ Jun 26 2019 11:57pm)
I probably will end up playing csgo and league, and probably some triple a titles.

I dont need max settings, hell ive seen high end comps before and im so used to lower specs that it felt hard to follow higher detail. id be happy with mid-low settings but i want things to load fast. Woild it ne worthwhile to get a very good processor and then a lower middle-mid end gfx card?

I probably would want to go the ssd route, but one large enough for os and games and then use an hd for porn other stuff.

My current comp hd is 2x 500s or 300s i believe and have only just now filled one after years, altho idk wtf is even on it thats 400g worth. Alot is wow but other than that idk

If those are generally the games you're playing, I think you'd notice a difference investing another $50-100 into getting a 1080p monitor with a 120 or 144 Hz refresh rate (and make sure it has freesync or gsync). The one you had on your list was only 75 Hz, which is kind of disappointing for online gaming in this day and age. Those extra FPS are very noticeable in that range imo.

The GPU affects image quality more than the CPU, although a weak CPU could bottleneck a system and make it run slow because that's what does all the little processes and calculations that make an application work. So when buying a CPU and GPU, it's best to get one that fits the specs of the other. Pairing a high-end CPU with a low-end GPU is a waste of money for gaming. The only reason I'd recommend getting a high-end CPU and a weak GPU is if you plan on upgrading the GPU down the line.

Generally the Ryzen 5 you were looking at will handle most applications, so I'd just roll with that and try to get a mid-range GPU that can handle 1080p @ 120 Hz. Perhaps what you had in your cart will suffice (not sure tbh. You'll have to read some benchmarking reports and buyer feedback. One review on there says he gets 100 fps playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 1080p, so maybe that's good enough for you). There's some ranked lists of GPUs that might give you a sense of performance. Here's one I Googled: http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/graphicscardcomparison

I'll try and price up a build tomorrow. I might accidentally be asking you to go over your budget.

This post was edited by Terps on Jun 27 2019 12:49am
Jun 27 2019 09:49am
Quote (TheHeistman @ Jun 26 2019 11:57pm)

Here's a $1k 1080p build that can reach up to 144 FPS (your proposed build capped at 75). It's about $100 more expensive than your previous parts list, but it's well worth it to double your FPS imo.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RkgLtg

I assumed you had no interest in overclocking when choosing parts, which allowed me to save in other areas (namely motherboard) and splurge on a better GPU and monitor. I didn't add labor into the cost. Also keep in mind mail-in rebates don't come until later, so you'd have to pay more initially.

Some notes:

-Same CPU, case, HDD, RAM, and keyboard as your old parts list. Comparable PSU (my current Seasonic is 10 years old, so I have an affinity for them).

-Much cheaper mobo. You're not overclocking, so you really don't need a $130 board. ASRock has been reliable for me so far (use one in my HTPC, which gets heavy daily use).

-For storage, I went with a cheaper M.2 SSD combined with a 1 TB HDD, which saved you $30-$50 versus just buying a 1 TB SSD. You would install your OS and small apps onto the M.2 and use the HDD for essentially everything else, namely game files.

-Pretty decent price on that graphics card for the specs. It's an upgrade over the one on your previous parts list.

-Bigger and better monitor (21" versus 27"; 75 versus 144 Hz refresh rate). Good reviews on it too.

This post was edited by Terps on Jun 27 2019 09:59am
Gold: 16.80
Jun 27 2019 09:51am
Quote (Terps @ Jun 27 2019 09:49am)
Here's a $1k 1080p build that can reach up to 144 FPS (your proposed build capped at 75). It's about $90 more expensive than your previous parts list, but it's well worth it to double your FPS imo.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VygLtg

I assumed you had no interest in overclocking when choosing parts, which allowed me to save in other areas (namely motherboard) and splurge on a better GPU and monitor. I didn't add labor into the cost. Also keep in mind mail-in rebates don't come until later, so you'd have to pay more initially.

Some notes:

-Same CPU, case, HDD, and keyboard as your old parts list. Comparable PSU (my current Seasonic is 10 years old).

-Much cheaper mobo. You're not overclocking, so you really don't need a $130 board. ASRock has been reliable for me so far (use one in my HTPC, which gets heavy daily use).

-Saved on RAM. You don't need 3200 MHz RAM. You won't notice a difference between 3200 and 2400. I had the same RAM in an old computer; it's reliable.

-For storage, I went with a cheaper M.2 SSD combined with a 1 TB HDD, which saved you $30-$50 versus just buying a 1 TB SSD. You would install your OS and small apps onto the M.2 and use the HDD for essentially everything else, namely game files.

-Pretty decent price on that graphics card for the specs. It's an upgrade over the one on your previous parts list.

-Bigger and better monitor (21" versus 27"; 144 Hz refresh rate). Good reviews on it too.

Do you have a ryzen CPU? Because he will absolutely notice a difference in 2400 and 3200
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
Prev1207208209210211699Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll