d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Homework Help > The Travel Of An Electron Physics
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Feb 4 2019 11:10pm
So in assuming that the velocity of an electron is constant and not a randomized variable . Do I simply use the standard value of 3x10^8 to incorporate in the question? ( The speed of light )

Because without doing so - wouldn't it be impossible to be able to update and /or find the momentum of an electron without using the square root of ( 1-v^2 over c^2 )

An electron is traveling at .92c ( V = .92c ). * This is ALL of the information I am given....

My task is to calculate the momentum of this electron ( in Kilogram meters per second ) -- yep standard units -- I know which ones I need to convert already for physics measurements...

time conversions just like chemistry...

Cm = meters

etc....

So Besides the standard value for the speed of light ( velocity ) I would also need the (mass ) of the electron as well in order to solve this...

So I am seriously supposed to remember the mass of an electron in addition to the value for speed of light ( this one isn't so bad ).... but seriously

Remembering 9.11 x 10^-31 is just ridiculous - this combined with memorizing conversion with Avogadros number for Chemistry.... this is just getting out of control real quick...
Gold: 3.37
Feb 5 2019 09:39pm
The mass of an electron is like 2000x times smaller than a proton.

Sadly, I have nothing useful to add.
Gold: 4.00
Feb 7 2019 08:42am
these are useful constants to remember.
in a 101 course, it might be a bit much
anything above that, you should know those numbers.
Feb 7 2019 09:55am
true true - I would have to say that so far - Physics , Calculus 2,3, Diff. Equations, and Circuits 1 ( not digital circuits - easy ) have been the hardest classes so far.

College Algebra, Trig, and Calc. 1 were not bad at all.

There have been a lot of changes to most engineering programs --- now requiring one Computer Science class ( usually in Java or C ) in order to get the degree. Also many colonnade ( gen ed. ) requirements from the Dept. of Ed. are requesting state universities to request 2 semesters ( or 1 bi term ) of a foreign language - Yes for engineers. Fortunately for myself - ( I was already exempt ) because I married a foreign woman and was able to show fluency in the wifey's language so I didn't have to take!!!! Mwuahaha

I got 1 more year to go since I am a double major in Mathematics and Elec. Engineering. Started Fall 2014. I have found that taking either Physics and/or Chemistry in the summer is amazing because the state university that I am at - 99% of the summer classes do not fund Labs in the Summer!! Yay!

( No measurements, no standard error / deviations and all that nonsense - no lab reports period. )
Gold: 1,319.00
May 10 2019 07:25am
Quote (lilzombiehoe @ Feb 7 2019 03:55pm)
Calculus 2,3, Diff. Equations have been the hardest classes so far.

I got 1 more year to go since I am a double major in Mathematics and Elec. Engineering.

You don't even do real math in those undergraduate courses and as a math major you thought they were hard? I doubt you've ever written a proof in your life
May 10 2019 09:15am
Quote (Obstacle1 @ May 10 2019 08:25am)
You don't even do real math in those undergraduate courses and as a math major you thought they were hard? I doubt you've ever written a proof in your life

Because someone chooses a major - the classes for that major are not supposed to be challenging anymore.

Your logic is astounding..

Next move:
I should go buy a new computer & then switch my major to computer science..

Gold: 1,319.00
May 10 2019 11:16am
Quote (lilzombiehoe @ May 10 2019 03:15pm)
Because someone chooses a major - the classes for that major are not supposed to be challenging anymore.

Your logic is astounding..

Next move:
I should go buy a new computer & then switch my major to computer science..

As someone that is a math major and found sophomore level calculus hard, I can't imagine the difficulty you would have taking something like topology or real analysis where people actually do math rather than just compute things. Just worried bout you lil bro
May 10 2019 11:51am
Quote (Obstacle1 @ May 10 2019 12:16pm)
As someone that is a math major and found sophomore level calculus hard, I can't imagine the difficulty you would have taking something like topology or real analysis where people actually do math rather than just compute things. Just worried bout you lil bro

You ain’t shit bud
Gold: 1.26
Warn: 30%
May 17 2019 09:59am
Quote (Obstacle1 @ May 10 2019 12:16pm)

Real analysis is definitely a true math course

Bachelors in physics w/ minor in math

Physics + calc were easy. Quantum mechanics was brutal, and solid state was brutal
May 17 2019 10:42am
Quote (MeadHole @ May 17 2019 10:59am)
Real analysis is definitely a true math course

Bachelors in physics w/ minor in math

Physics + calc were easy. Quantum mechanics was brutal, and solid state was brutal

That is 460 & 480 class and I don’t have to do those til next year - thank you for letting me know how shitty they will be
Go Back To Homework Help Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll