d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Graphic Design > Books About Pixel Art
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jan 4 2019 02:13pm
are there any books about pixel arts for learning and whatnot?
Im looking for physical copies not ebooks
Jan 7 2019 10:34pm
Look at a picture.
Imagine how that picture would look in extreeeeemely low quality.
Draw it.
Using big squares ofc.

This post was edited by Kokua on Jan 7 2019 10:34pm
Jan 10 2019 12:49am
Looking for actual help here
Jan 11 2019 10:32pm
Are you trying to do extremely small images using 1x1 pixels?
Do you want a pixel look, but larger? Such as using 5x5 boxes, 10x10 boxes, etc? If so, make sure that your boxes are evenly spaced, every time.
What are you trying to draw? Characters? Landscapes? Entire scenes? How detailed do you want to make it?
It is helpful to use graphing paper to create the layout for your images, so that you have a reference.
Pixel art is about time, patience, and precision. Planning what you want to make is good practice.
You can practice by copying other people's works. Everyone learns from people before them, don't be embarrassed to copy something while you're learning.
When you're good enough, you can start to figure out your own style with your own work.
Jan 11 2019 10:43pm
Quote (Kokua @ Jan 12 2019 12:32am)
Are you trying to do extremely small images using 1x1 pixels?
Do you want a pixel look, but larger? Such as using 5x5 boxes, 10x10 boxes, etc? If so, make sure that your boxes are evenly spaced, every time.
What are you trying to draw? Characters? Landscapes? Entire scenes? How detailed do you want to make it?
It is helpful to use graphing paper to create the layout for your images, so that you have a reference.
Pixel art is about time, patience, and precision. Planning what you want to make is good practice.
You can practice by copying other people's works. Everyone learns from people before them, don't be embarrassed to copy something while you're learning.
When you're good enough, you can start to figure out your own style with your own work.

Doesnt sound like a book title
Jan 11 2019 10:49pm
Quote (Shadowrose @ Jan 11 2019 10:43pm)
Doesnt sound like a book title

Graph paper.
Staple it together.
Write "Pixel Art" on the top.
Congrats, you now have a pixel art book.
Start practicing.
Jan 11 2019 10:52pm
Quote (Kokua @ Jan 12 2019 12:49am)
Graph paper.
Staple it together.
Write "Pixel Art" on the top.
Congrats, you now have a pixel art book.
Start practicing.

Youre obnoxious, this thread is serious
Jan 11 2019 10:56pm
Quote (Shadowrose @ Jan 11 2019 10:52pm)
Youre obnoxious, this thread is serious

My responses are serious too.
If you want to learn a design method typically done with software, why are you against using software to learn?
If you're going to restrict your method of learning to a physical book, you're wasting time and limiting yourself.
You have a plethora of things you can be looking at right now for free.
Looking at a book won't teach you anything more than looking at online sources or simply trying it out yourself.
You also didn't even read my post before you posted your response.
If you did, you would have realized that I was actually trying to narrow down your topic to an actual purpose.

Quote (Shadowrose @ Jan 11 2019 10:58pm)
Has it ever crossed your mind that some enjoy owning reference and art books on their shelves?

If all you want are books on your shelf, then buy every book down the list and stock your shelf.
If you honestly want something to reference, the internet will do that job much more efficiently and effectively.
If you were serious about wanting something to reference, you would have noticed that you have already missed a key point in my posts, twice now.
If you have missed those key points in such a short amount of text, a book would do you no justice.

This is exactly what you're requesting though.
A physical book that you can buy for the purpose of learning pixel art, and you can even put it on your shelf.

This post was edited by Kokua on Jan 11 2019 11:20pm
Jan 11 2019 10:58pm
Quote (Kokua @ Jan 12 2019 12:56am)
My responses are serious too.
If you want to learn a design method typically done with software, why are you against using software to learn?
If you're going to restrict your method of learning to a physical book, you're wasting time and limiting yourself.
You have a plethora of things you can be looking at right now for free.
Looking at a book won't teach you anything more than looking at online sources or simply trying it out yourself.
You also didn't even read my post before you posted your response.
If you did, you would have realized that I was actually trying to narrow down your topic to an actual purpose.

Has it ever crossed your mind that some enjoy owning reference and art books on their shelves?
Go Back To Graphic Design Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll