d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Jumpers Knee > 6months Of Suffering
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 24,272.01
Dec 24 2018 05:39am
Quote (Neptunus @ Dec 24 2018 10:47am)
When you have tissue damage, you have inflammation. It's what mediates the pain, hence the suggestions for using NSAIDs. Jumper's knee is also known as patellar tendonitis, which directly refers to inflammation.

Physiotherapy and rest are really what you need. Icing can help. And of course pausing activities that provoke the pain until it's gone. I'm not an expert on the benefits of eccentric exercises, but if it targets the quadriceps i would think it can aggravate the condition.

It's indeed good to train every other muscle that doesn't provoke the pain and isn't connected to the patellar tendon. Daily training can also be a reason behind your prolonged pain, you need to have days where you do nothing with the knee. Overuse injuries are really annoying, it's good to remember it took months/weeks to build it up, and it will take weeks/months to heal. I forgot to mention patience on the list of things that help. Best of luck! :)

Thanks! Correction, it ‘was’ called tendonitis; hence the «re-classified as tendinopathy». What you said is exactly why doctors are no longer suggesting NSAIDs, with inflammation not being the injury- it can actually have a negative effect on the rehabilitation. I guess ‘some’ inflammation is necessary (?).

As of right now, I’ve been doing 3-6 sets og ecccentric training. I’ll try adding additional foaming, some sumo deadlifts and some off-days on the rehab-exercises. Patience is not my strong suit :(

Thanks!

Edit: to address your concern with eccentric training (I’ll be repeating myself). This condition is classified as tendinopathy; tendon damage. Complete rest has no effect on strengthening the weakened/damage tendon. All research done suggests that eccentric-strengthening exercises are the best way to strengthen/rehabilitate the tendon. I’m looking for further ways to augment progress on the basis of little to no improvement. Sure over-doing it could cause harm; which is why doing it without (much) pain and with slow & controlled movement is suggested

This post was edited by Galera88 on Dec 24 2018 05:44am
Gold: 13,142.01
Dec 25 2018 08:51pm
Have you tried single leg exercises?

Shrimp squat
Pistol squat
Single leg holds (there’s a good one where you stand next to wall and then bend leg closest to wall so that knee goes over toes and then you hold that position - targets VMO)
Single leg box jumps
Single leg agility drills

All the injuries I’ve had (tendinitis, patellofemoral, etc) I healed through body weight exercises and with bands, not with weights.

This post was edited by PartyInMyPants on Dec 25 2018 08:52pm
Gold: 0.00
Feb 7 2019 06:36am
Jumper's knee, also called patellar tendinopathy, is a painful condition of the knee caused by small tears in the patellar tendon that mainly occurs in sports requiring strenuous jumping. Once the pain subsides, restoration of function is achieved through physical and exercise therapy.(Indian workouts).
Feb 7 2019 03:32pm
Does your knee feel like its burning and walking generally sux dick?
Gold: 24,272.01
Feb 15 2019 03:11am
Quote (PartyInMyPants @ Dec 26 2018 02:51am)
Have you tried single leg exercises?

Shrimp squat
Pistol squat
Single leg holds (there’s a good one where you stand next to wall and then bend leg closest to wall so that knee goes over toes and then you hold that position - targets VMO)
Single leg box jumps
Single leg agility drills

All the injuries I’ve had (tendinitis, patellofemoral, etc) I healed through body weight exercises and with bands, not with weights.

I haven't done bodyweight exercises, no! Any type of squat hurts my knee. I might give it a shot once it starts improving, though. Thanks.

Quote (luckyvenkat @ Feb 7 2019 12:36pm)
Jumper's knee, also called patellar tendinopathy, is a painful condition of the knee caused by small tears in the patellar tendon that mainly occurs in sports requiring strenuous jumping. Once the pain subsides, restoration of function is achieved through physical and exercise therapy.(Indian workouts).

Patellar tendinopathy/runners knee/jumpers knee -> I'm familiar with the different terms. Thanks for the copy paste google-search, though.

Quote (Element1023 @ Feb 7 2019 09:32pm)
Does your knee feel like its burning and walking generally sux dick?

Atm, nothing really hurts (aside from squatting). I can walk with no issue, run with no issue. Even walk up stairs (which hurt initially), without any pain. However, I've had zero progression in squats. Even bodyweight squats hurts.

Gold: 2,079.45
Feb 20 2019 06:40pm
Show a video of your form when squatting from the side, front, and back. Any other nagging aches and pains in your body? Any other activities that hurt your patellar tendon? Tendinopathies are a result of biomechanic and movement flaws. You can do all the eccentric training on that tendon you want, but if you keep making the same movement flaws that caused the tendinopathy in the first place you will just continue spinning your wheels and it won't heal.
Gold: 2,945.50
Feb 23 2019 08:22am
Unilateral movements and stabilization training did wonders the times I've had it. Wrapping the tendon could also be an idea.
I also had some shockwave therapy to help with circulation/scar tissue.
Feb 24 2019 03:52pm
get that AKA, problem solved
Feb 24 2019 08:44pm
Quote (Galera88 @ Dec 21 2018 07:47am)
Been struggling with jumpers knee for a while now. I’m doing eccentric training daily, stretching and taking a break from squats. No change. Anyone else here with experience?

Before you suggest anti-inflammatory as most people do; this is not an injury that has anything to do with inflammation.

The patellar tendon is damaged and need repairing (hence why eccentric training is the study-based solution).

If anyone had any other tips, I’m all ears! I’ve heard IT-band stretching and foam-rolling helps, but haven’t got to try that out.

Sincerely, everyday’s upper body day :cry:

My jumpers knee was mitigated by using pre-wrap for ~6 months when doing physical activity. Google "jumpers knee pre wrap" and you'll see what I'm talking about. It looks kind of odd and I don't know why it works but my doc suggested it and voila!
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll