d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Site Suggestions >
Poll > Clear All Function - Notifications
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Oct 4 2018 11:59am
The new notification feature could be pretty cool once all the kinks/bugs are fixed and some customization options have been implemented.

One somewhat annoying issue right now is that you have to individually exit out of each notification. For anyone that's active on the forum using it to trade or socialize, is going to be bombarded by notifications whenever they open d2jsp. An option at the top (preferable) or the bottom of these notifications that allows a user to clear them all with a single click, would drastically improve the public opinion from users who are frustrated by the inability to turn this function off. It's a sensible change and this should be a somewhat easy feature to add.
Gold: 0.69
Oct 4 2018 12:20pm
I agree!
Or maybe an option to disable it?
I not too active on my tracked topics it's more of a easier way for me to get across the forums faster
Admin
Gold: 24,976.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 4 2018 12:45pm
Are you talking about a page where they pop up at the top center, or the tracker -> notifications tab? If the former, when you refresh they will be gone (just like the old PM only notifications were), if you don't want to act on them immediately. You can always go back to your Tracker -> Notification page to review them later if you wish.

Likewise, with the notifications tab on the tracker, you can just leave them, and they will automatically be purged eventually by the system. You can clear it if you want, but it's not necessary.
Oct 4 2018 01:00pm
Quote (Neferpitou @ Oct 4 2018 11:20am)
I agree!
Or maybe an option to disable it?
I not too active on my tracked topics it's more of a easier way for me to get across the forums faster

I saw somewhere they weren't planning on allowing people to disable it. I could be wrong, but it seems like they want this to be used.

Quote (njaguar @ Oct 4 2018 11:45am)
Are you talking about a page where they pop up at the top center, or the tracker -> notifications tab? If the former, when you refresh they will be gone (just like the old PM only notifications were), if you don't want to act on them immediately. You can always go back to your Tracker -> Notification page to review them later if you wish.

Likewise, with the notifications tab on the tracker, you can just leave them, and they will automatically be purged eventually by the system. You can clear it if you want, but it's not necessary.

I was thinking it would be an additional box that would appear above the notifications saying "Clear all notifications" and there's an "Ok" button, or you can exit out of that if you want to go through each of them individually. I haven't had a problem with it and when my screen is covered in them I've been refreshing. I've heard a few different people complaining about having to exit out of these individually and I thought this function would decrease user frustration.

Additionally, you could give this particular function an on/off toggle in user settings, which would let people have a bit more control over the notification function. Again, I believe this could reduce user frustration and it seemed like a moderately simple change to make.

e: I'm not saying to allow the new notifications to be toggled off, I understand your decision to not allow this, but giving users a bit more control over the new notification standard would allow for an easier transition.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Oct 4 2018 01:01pm
Admin
Oct 4 2018 01:03pm
You do not need to close them all out. If your entire page is filled, you can always refresh to make them disappear. Another option is I may decrease the number of previous notifications that popup if you've been away or a lot are queued up.

That said, there are no plans to allow disabling of these notifications. It seems counter-intuitive to have a forum that encourages people to interact with each other, yet promote features that are counter-productive towards that.

This is a new feature, people aren't used to it. As usual, in a week, everyone will be used to it (granted, only a handful of people out of the thousands using the site are having any gripes with it).
Oct 4 2018 01:06pm
Quote (njaguar @ Oct 4 2018 12:03pm)
You do not need to close them all out. If your entire page is filled, you can always refresh to make them disappear. Another option is I may decrease the number of previous notifications that popup if you've been away or a lot are queued up.

That said, there are no plans to allow disabling of these notifications. It seems counter-intuitive to have a forum that encourages people to interact with each other, yet promote features that are counter-productive towards that.

This is a new feature, people aren't used to it. As usual, in a week, everyone will be used to it (granted, only a handful of people out of the thousands using the site are having any gripes with it).

Right... I even said in my post that I do refresh to make them go away, but others have still complained and again, my goal in suggesting this change was to ease user frustration. I also never said anything about the notifications being able to be turned off, I suggested one particular aspect (the one I suggested) being allowed to be turned off, giving users a bit more control and once again, easing the transition to the new system.
Admin
Oct 4 2018 01:08pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Oct 4 2018 02:06pm)
Right... I even said in my post that I do refresh to make them go away, but others have still complained and again, my goal in suggesting this change was to ease user frustration. I also never said anything about the notifications being able to be turned off, I suggested one particular aspect (the one I suggested) being allowed to be turned off, giving users a bit more control and once again, easing the transition to the new system.

Sorry, just replying in general, because a couple users have brought it up, and I wanted an official reply on the matter.

I will decrease the previous notifications popup from 10 to 5, that should help not overwhelm the screen with so many notifications. You can always view Tracker -> Notifications to view others you may have missed.
Oct 4 2018 01:09pm
Quote (njaguar @ Oct 4 2018 12:08pm)
Sorry, just replying in general, because a couple users have brought it up, and I wanted an official reply on the matter.

I will decrease the previous notifications popup from 10 to 5, that should help not overwhelm the screen with so many notifications. You can always view Tracker -> Notifications to view others you may have missed.

That's great. I'm sure that'll help a lot.

Thank you Paul.
Trade Moderator
Gold: 52,590.00
Oct 4 2018 01:13pm
Quote (njaguar @ Oct 4 2018 10:08pm)

Just want to mention that even if I had a tracked topics with notification I still get notifications for them, even if I don't have tracked anymore.
Admin
Oct 4 2018 01:16pm
Quote (Yakir @ Oct 4 2018 02:13pm)
Just want to mention that even if I had a tracked topics with notification I still get notifications for them, even if I don't have tracked anymore.

You will always get notifications for replies to your own topics, or replies (quotes) of your posts, regardless of the tracked topic status. Also, earlier today there was an existing bug in the push system that wasn't properly purging certain topic/forum subscriptions properly that resulted in some notifications appearing for users that had previously done so that will appear in your notifications history tab.
Go Back To Site Suggestions Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll