d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Books & Literature > Has Anyone Read The Grimnoir Chronicles Series?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 99.00
Sep 28 2018 02:14pm
The Grimnoir Chronicles Series:
Hard Magic
Spellbound
Warbound

If so, are they worth reading?
Gold: 3,804.50
Sep 28 2018 09:30pm
depends on what you're looking for.

They're described as noir, but they're not. if you're hoping for good historical fiction, then you'll be sorely disappointed.

larry correia is a big gun fan. if you enjoy hearing someone enthusiastic about guns, then you'll enjoy the author, especially monster hunter international series.

it switches between multiple people's perspectives throughout the story. personally i prefer a single protagonist, so that irked me a bit.

with that said, i enjoyed the series.

This post was edited by carteblanche on Sep 28 2018 09:59pm
Sep 28 2018 09:38pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Sep 28 2018 11:30pm)
depends on what you're looking for.

They're described as noir, but they're not. if you're hoping for good historical fiction, then you'll be sorely disappointed.

larry correia is a bug gun fan. if you enjoy hearing someone enthusiastic about guns, then you'll enjoy the author, especially monster hunter international series.

it switches between multiple people's perspectives throughout the story. personally i prefer a single protagonist, so that irked me a bit.

with that said, i enjoyed the series.

Not really interested in guns.... But I do love fantasy, especially fantasies about magic..... Thoughts?
Sep 28 2018 10:09pm
Quote (ferf @ Sep 28 2018 11:38pm)
Not really interested in guns.... But I do love fantasy, especially fantasies about magic..... Thoughts?

if you want spoilers, i'm happy to tell you more about what goes on. but otherwise there's not much else for me to say. it's urban fantasy and gun-crazy; has a fair bit of action; lack of romance. i really enjoyed the narrator.

as long as your expectations are set, you'll probably be fine.
Sep 28 2018 10:11pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Sep 29 2018 12:09am)
if you want spoilers, i'm happy to tell you more about what goes on. but otherwise there's not much else for me to say. it's urban fantasy and gun-crazy; has a fair bit of action; lack of romance. i really enjoyed the narrator.

as long as your expectations are set, you'll probably be fine.

Hmmm... I mean if it's mainly about guns, it wont interest me lol.
From what you've said, it doesn't sound very compelling.

This post was edited by ferf on Sep 28 2018 10:11pm
Sep 28 2018 10:26pm
Quote (ferf @ Sep 29 2018 12:11am)
Hmmm... I mean if it's mainly about guns, it wont interest me lol.
From what you've said, it doesn't sound very compelling.

it's always hard for me to know how much to say and avoid spoilers. i pointed out the two biggest complaints about the series (fake noir and pro-guns) which isn't obvious from the summary and a little bit about the structure of the novel. his Monster Hunter series is more gun-heavy + anti-government, but it's still noticeable in grimnoir. i'll post spoilers below.

Think of a star wars rip off on earth. We have a villain who's (literally) taking over the world. villain is hella powerful and oppresses with sheer force, not needing trickery/politics. he tortures and experiments on his own people to create super soldiers (think x-men on steroids). the protagonists are magic using rebels who hope to limit his expansion. some of the notable powers include Gravity manipulation; mind control; genius; teleportation; brute strength; raising zombies.
Sep 28 2018 10:30pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Sep 29 2018 12:26am)
it's always hard for me to know how much to say and avoid spoilers. i pointed out the two biggest complaints about the series (fake noir and pro-guns) which isn't obvious from the summary and a little bit about the structure of the novel. his Monster Hunter series is more gun-heavy + anti-government, but it's still noticeable in grimnoir. i'll post spoilers below.

Think of a star wars rip off on earth. We have a villain who's (literally) taking over the world. villain is hella powerful and oppresses with sheer force, not needing trickery/politics. he tortures and experiments on his own people to create super soldiers (think x-men on steroids). the protagonists are magic using rebels who hope to limit his expansion. some of the notable powers include Gravity manipulation; mind control; genius; teleportation; brute strength; raising zombies.

Thanks! Out of 1-10 scale, what would you rate this series?
The magic part sounds interesting, but the gun part sounds awful... idk...

This post was edited by ferf on Sep 28 2018 10:33pm
Sep 28 2018 10:47pm
Quote (ferf @ Sep 29 2018 12:30am)
Thanks! Out of 1-10 scale, what would you rate this series?
The magic part sounds interesting, but the gun part sounds awful... idk...

i wrote chapter summaries for the series. i can share them if you're interested. here's my summary of chapter 6 of the first book which is an action sequence so you can get an idea

ch 6 the japanese man, amish the cross eyed reader, and several others go to the hotel. the imp verified sullivan was in his room. dan and the german see the gang outside the hotel and recognize the japanese man as a powerful iron guard. dan wants to get backup because they can't kill the iron guard alone, but the german wants to try. dan goes in the hotel to learn which room sullivan was staying in, verifies the two men in the lobby are evil, and has them shoot each other. amish and another man burst into sullivan's room and shoot the bed until they run out of ammo. sullivan comes out of the bathroom and shoots the man dead, then sends amish flying out the house when he changed the direction of gravity. the japanese man stabs the floor with his sword to avoid flying away. when sullivan finally stops his power, the japanese man calmly gets up. he's surprised the americans trained heavies to perform such a task, when they usually just lift heavy things. he commends sullivan for having such skill and bows to him with respect against such a great opponent. sullivan shoots him with his large gun until it's out of ammo, but the japanese man is uninjured and doesn't attempt to dodge. the german fade enters and helps fight while dan shoots him with a pistol. sullivan uses his power to analyze the japanese man and realizes he's the opposite of a fade; instead of letting matter pass through him, he hardens and matter can't get through. sullivan asks the fade to distract him, then sullivan tackles him and uses all his power to increase gravity on top of him. the japanese man staggers, then spikes his own power to defend. the floor can't take it and they tumble down several floors until they hit the concrete. at first the japanese man's power withholds it, but as he runs out of power, he uses a new source of power to maintain his shield. then slowly that too fails, and he gets squashed by the gravity of 50 earths and he breaks into a mist of blood. the fade takes his broken sword as a souvenir.
Sep 28 2018 10:50pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Sep 29 2018 12:47am)
i wrote chapter summaries for the series. i can share them if you're interested. here's my summary of chapter 6 of the first book which is an action sequence so you can get an idea

Thanks, yep i was right... Doesn't interest me lol. Ty though!
Go Back To Books & Literature Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll