d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Homework Help > Calculus
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,230.00
Sep 12 2018 08:45pm
Where do you go to learn calculus when your professor talks like a text book? Tried Khan Academy, Just wasn't very well organized. Like Calculus AB, Calculus BC etc Too much jumping around between the 4 Calculus courses they have. (Is that high school AP classes? ) I just need some College Calculus I material.
Gold: 5.00
Sep 12 2018 08:49pm
honestly if you just follow a calculus book page for page you will learn fast. do all the problems with answers in the back until you get the same answer and you will ace the class. does your professor say what chapters he is teaching in a book or just his own notes and no book?
Sep 12 2018 08:53pm
Quote (Euxinus @ Sep 13 2018 04:49am)
honestly if you just follow a calculus book page for page you will learn fast. do all the problems with answers in the back until you get the same answer and you will ace the class. does your professor say what chapters he is teaching in a book or just his own notes and no book?

he goes literally by the book. Like: this is 2.1. this is 2.2 etc etc. Didn't think of using a textbook because he speaks like one. Or maybe that is just how Mathematicians speak? Grew up with (math) teachers not using text books in high school so all this terminology really throws me off. 90% of the work for me is interpreting what things are even asking for.

edit/ but I'll try that. especially just trying by trial and error from the questions. As all of our homework is done on WebAssign, which I can't stand.

This post was edited by kasey21 on Sep 12 2018 09:04pm
Gold: 5.00
Sep 12 2018 09:07pm
Quote (kasey21 @ Sep 12 2018 10:53pm)
he goes literally by the book. Like: this is 2.1. this is 2.2 etc etc. Didn't think of using a textbook because he speaks like one. Or maybe that is just how Mathematicians speak? Grew up with (math) teachers not using text books in high school so all this terminology really throws me off. 90% of the work for me is interpreting of what things are even asking for.

edit/ but I'll try that. especially just trying by trial and error from the questions. As all of our homework is done on WebAssign, which I can't stand.

a math textbook will introduce terminology etc

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

this guy, pauls math notes are amazing. he explains stuff clearly, has practice problems with solutions for all your basic university math classes, i solved problems off this website for practice many times or read his notes on a class i skipped or w/e. many people i know used these notes and problems etc

Sep 12 2018 09:25pm
Quote (Euxinus @ Sep 13 2018 05:07am)
a math textbook will introduce terminology etc

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

this guy, pauls math notes are amazing. he explains stuff clearly, has practice problems with solutions for all your basic university math classes, i solved problems off this website for practice many times or read his notes on a class i skipped or w/e. many people i know used these notes and problems etc

Alright thanks. This looks to be very helpful.
Gold: 2,673.69
Sep 13 2018 01:19am
You might try googling the topic you're stuck on and restricting to .edu. This usually brings up notes from professors at other colleges or step by step solutions to homework they have posted in the past to help you gain insight.

Many colleges also have tutoring for the lower level undergraduate classes. This is usually done by a competent peer or a graduate student.

You might try a different book with a different author to learn the topic from. Some are known for writing for specific majors or higher levels. Try reading a Larson versus Stewart textbook sometime.

Lastly, post questions and feanur will answer. His explanations are unique and easy to understand.

Go Back To Homework Help Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll