d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Political Censorship Thread
Prev1100101102103104124Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 13 2019 05:58am
Quote (CarsV @ Jun 12 2019 02:23pm)
How are tech giants being routinely exposed for censorship, even by their own employees, "playing the victim"?

Whether you realize it or not, you're telling me something. Beowulf is telling me that he dismisses censorship of those he disagrees with or identifies as political opponents. It's all fun and games as long the ball is in your court lol.

he's correct tho. right wingers are playing on the narrative of censorship, rather than the less severe reality of censorship, and making bank for it.

leftists do the same thing with oppression Olympics. exaggerating "real life" stories and downplaying progress to appear as an endangered group.

anyone taking the "we're in trouble" narrative from the right wing at anywhere near face value is getting played. demonetization is more uniform than the narrative suggests, and less rampant than they suggest generally.
Gold: 28,296.69
Jun 13 2019 06:25am
Quote (CarsV @ Jun 12 2019 01:12pm)
People like Beowulf just want conservatives to sit down, shut the fuck up, and keep paying taxes. And if they dare speak up, they start with the "reeee muh oppression" bullshit which, ironically, doesn't help their argument one bit. Nothing helps win people over like telling them their concerns are fictitious and their own fault lol.

I've said on multiple occasions I only support bans in extreme cases and I'm for a path for people to get back on the platform and to keep punishments temporary for most things unless the person/channel just keeps doing the same shit on purpose.

Crowder and people like crowder are clowns in my eyes but they shouldn't be banned. As far as the picking on people shit goes in the way he does it's not something I find entertaining productive or decent but this is the net. I've seen channels that do nothing but call him a closeted homosexual and all that shit. Haters balance each other out in the end on the net. Crowder makes fun of some gay dude alt right dudes make fun of crowder by saying he is gay.
None of it is productive or intellectually respectable but I see no reason to censor or ban unless we get to the point of direct threats of violence or inciting it. Even the harrassment shit is eh. All channels comment sections and social media are poison. Don't have any interest in banning for that either. People have blocks and reporting and all that. Stick to suspensions in my view

So no I have no interest in conservatives shutting up or being banned for using their voice or any unreasonable censorship

But conservatives are still big ole profiting snowflakes off this

Gold: 0.00
Jun 13 2019 06:36am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 13 2019 11:58am)
he's correct tho. right wingers are playing on the narrative of censorship, rather than the less severe reality of censorship, and making bank for it.

leftists do the same thing with oppression Olympics. exaggerating "real life" stories and downplaying progress to appear as an endangered group.

anyone taking the "we're in trouble" narrative from the right wing at anywhere near face value is getting played. demonetization is more uniform than the narrative suggests, and less rampant than they suggest generally.

We live in the information, or disinformation, age. Those who control the flow of information can mold and shape narratives at will. It's straight up Orwellian at times. But that's why so many are fiercely critical of political bias from the tech giants. It's the concern that once they get a taste for throwing their weight around, what's to stop them from throwing their full weight around?

The left own most of the MSM, they own the entertainment industry, they own the education systems, and now they're in the process of owning the tech giants who control information. And the moment folks on the right point this out, it's "Oh it's right-wingers getting a hard-on for playing the victim". The left has the ability to manufacture and distribute narratives at will. That's powerful, given the gullible and mob mentality of human nature. Again, it's all fun and games while the ball is in their court, but when it's the other team's turn, watch how fast some people's tune will change.

I don't know which is worse. A state-run media like Communist Russia of old, or a free but "owned" media with interests. Seems they're apples to oranges.

This post was edited by CarsV on Jun 13 2019 06:57am
Jun 13 2019 06:49am
Quote (CarsV @ Jun 13 2019 05:36am)
We live in the information, or disinformation, age. Those who control the flow of information can mold and shape narratives at will. It's straight up Orwellian at times. But that's why so many are fiercely critical of political bias from the tech giants. It's the concern that once they get a taste for throwing their weight around, what's to stop them from going full-throttle?

Conservatives benefit from it. They rally the conservatives that are always in victim mode and sell the shit out of product and memberships. They have huge audiences that feel under attack and they speak with their wallets

Ban and cancel sjws shoot themselves in the foot constantly. They set an environment with standards that can take out just about anyone guilty or not. Hypocrisy is the universal pet peeve and that shit comes back on them all the time while the conservatives rake in the war donations

I agree with conservatives on principle here which is odd because it used to a liberal principle just not the exaggerations and perceived and profited from victimhood
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 13 2019 06:53am
Quote (CarsV @ Jun 13 2019 06:36am)
We live in the information, or disinformation, age. Those who control the flow of information can mold and shape narratives at will. It's straight up Orwellian at times. But that's why so many are fiercely critical of political bias from the tech giants. It's the concern that once they get a taste for throwing their weight around, what's to stop them from throwing their full weight around?

yes that is "the concern", whilst making bank from raising it.

currently the tech giants are just a reflection of user report functions.

i'm not excited about algorithms either, but i'm also not an unreliable narrator because i dont have a million dollar show where i talk 10 times a week about how i cant make money on x, y, and z platforms. those are the people "playing the victim" in beos post, not some unconscious signal against conservative people generally.
Gold: 633.87
Jun 13 2019 06:53am
Quote (Beowulf @ Jun 12 2019 03:16pm)
playing white conservative victims and exaggerating all day on the internet works great to line the pockets of youtube personalities profiting off youtube subscriptions to the mugs tumblers and whatevers they sell

what have the conservatives done to productively sit down with these companies and work out a better more inclusive system that focuses on the most extreme behavior for bans and keeps everyone else within temporary punishments of suspensions and the like

as far as demonetization goes just about every youtube channel has taken massive hits over the last couple years so that is certainly not just conservatives.

Are conservatives a monolithic group? It seems to me that they have reached out to Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, etc. via their support features to ask for clarification on and contest individual bans. The social media companies are (understandably) jealous of their power as the arbiter of what can and cannot be published on their platform.

I don't think it's an acceptable resolution to limit conservative voices to "suspensions and the like". The ask is for transparency and accountability, of which there is none.

As for censorship, if the companies want to editorialize as a publisher, that's their right, but Congress should retract any protection they receive as a service provider.
Gold: 0.00
Jun 13 2019 07:03am
Quote (bogie160 @ Jun 13 2019 12:53pm)
As for censorship, if the companies want to editorialize as a publisher, that's their right, but Congress should retract any protection they receive as a service provider.

This is what's wrong with the news media in general now. It used to be editorials and opinion pieces were kept in their own places where people could voluntarily look for them. Now, 80% of the news media is editorial opinions.
Jun 13 2019 07:21am
Quote (bogie160 @ Jun 13 2019 05:53am)
Are conservatives a monolithic group? It seems to me that they have reached out to Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, etc. via their support features to ask for clarification on and contest individual bans. The social media companies are (understandably) jealous of their power as the arbiter of what can and cannot be published on their platform.

I don't think it's an acceptable resolution to limit conservative voices to "suspensions and the like". The ask is for transparency and accountability, of which there is none.

I don't mean for conservatives I mean for everyone

Everyone gets hit by these algorithms and knee jerk reactions. The left the right all the political fence sitters and a whole bunch of people that aren't necessarily a political channel that talk about trans issues or just being trans

The difference generally between the left and the right is that people like Crowder and Jones have massive audiences that pay the bills through other means. Means that increase greatly during theses controversies.

People are still asking Carlos Maza who? while Crowder laughed all the way to the bank while crying crocodile tears for the camera and he is still on youtube, still making content

The real victims here are small channels left middle right that can't say shit without getting a video demonetized.

It's also important to keep in mind that youtube wants to make the easy and safe money of 3-5 minute late night clips and hollywood on youtube so they will take any opportunity they can to work in that direction which they already have been for the last few years.

I highly doubt they give a shit about conservatives one way or another in general they want to fill it with more will smith, ellen, celebrities asking mind numbing questions, and famous people eating hot and gross shit.

they used the people to build it now they wanna go back to the control of 1998 television
Gold: 633.87
Jun 13 2019 07:43am
Quote (Beowulf @ Jun 13 2019 08:21am)
I don't mean for conservatives I mean for everyone

Everyone gets hit by these algorithms and knee jerk reactions. The left the right all the political fence sitters and a whole bunch of people that aren't necessarily a political channel that talk about trans issues or just being trans

The difference generally between the left and the right is that people like Crowder and Jones have massive audiences that pay the bills through other means. Means that increase greatly during theses controversies.

People are still asking Carlos Maza who? while Crowder laughed all the way to the bank while crying crocodile tears for the camera and he is still on youtube, still making content

The real victims here are small channels left middle right that can't say shit without getting a video demonetized.

It's also important to keep in mind that youtube wants to make the easy and safe money of 3-5 minute late night clips and hollywood on youtube so they will take any opportunity they can to work in that direction which they already have been for the last few years.

I highly doubt they give a shit about conservatives one way or another in general they want to fill it with more will smith, ellen, celebrities asking mind numbing questions, and famous people eating hot and gross shit.

they used the people to build it now they wanna go back to the control of 1998 television

You're describing a separate issue. Crowder seems to be on the same page with you, insofar as he thinks this is an issue about Youtube business practices. Perhaps for his situation that's true.

Pinterest is taking an ideological stance. In their case that looks like official company policy, but the claim more generally is that Twitter, Facebook and the like don't have control over their employees, who have the ability to moderate and censor content, and are largely left wing.

We could make all of this go away, though, by holding these companies to the standard of a service provider. If they want to moderate content, let them, but when libel lawsuits start flowing, their shareholders will react.
Jun 13 2019 07:51am
Quote (bogie160 @ Jun 13 2019 06:43am)
You're describing a separate issue. Crowder seems to be on the same page with you, insofar as he thinks this is an issue about Youtube business practices. Perhaps for his situation that's true.

Pinterest is taking an ideological stance. In their case that looks like official company policy, but the claim more generally is that Twitter, Facebook and the like don't have control over their employees, who have the ability to moderate and censor content, and are largely left wing.

We could make all of this go away, though, by holding these companies to the standard of a service provider. If they want to moderate content, let them, but when libel lawsuits start flowing, their shareholders will react.

Personally I don't think there is a win

millions and millions of people and these platforms have no good handle on all the garbage being thrown out there and how could they? robots speed things up but it's just not possible to keep millions of people checked and balanced in an environment of outrage culture from everyone

conservatives can sit here and say look at this selected info I provided as could any other group but the fact is the modern net is a beast that can't be handled well because it is massive and algorithms/bots can only do so much

I don't see it really getting any better, you might get something you want but I don't think it'll be universally better just something you personally wanna see

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1100101102103104124Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll