d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > League Renewal Time
Prev1161718192021Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,152.00
Nov 26 2018 01:09am
Quote (Surfpunk @ Nov 26 2018 12:41am)
I swear to fucking gawd, I've having the most snake-bit season I've ever had. I'm number one in the league in points, yet am tied for last place.

This is ridiculous.

Damn that sucks. I've seen a lot of discrepancy between total points and win % ranking but never 1st in one and last in the other.

After this week you'll actually be untied last in standings and still first in points.

You have had by far the most points against. I hate when that happens. Plus you have probably the strongest team. Mahomes, Barkley, Julio, and Thielen, and acceptable at the other positions.

Not nearly as bad, but after this week I'll be most likely 5th in total points and tied for 2nd last in the standings. And worse, I'm in a division where everyone else has an over .500 record, so I'm out of the playoffs I think.

This post was edited by Voyaging on Nov 26 2018 01:23am
Gold: 2,620.00
Nov 26 2018 10:11am
Quote (Surfpunk @ 25 Nov 2018 23:41)
I swear to fucking gawd, I've having the most snake-bit season I've ever had. I'm number one in the league in points, yet am tied for last place.

This is ridiculous.

Damn dude, that sucks. You're right, you've gotten absolutely screwed this season. Fantasy football can be infuriating.

Quote (Voyaging @ 26 Nov 2018 02:09)
Damn that sucks. I've seen a lot of discrepancy between total points and win % ranking but never 1st in one and last in the other.

After this week you'll actually be untied last in standings and still first in points.

You have had by far the most points against. I hate when that happens. Plus you have probably the strongest team. Mahomes, Barkley, Julio, and Thielen, and acceptable at the other positions.

Not nearly as bad, but after this week I'll be most likely 5th in total points and tied for 2nd last in the standings. And worse, I'm in a division where everyone else has an over .500 record, so I'm out of the playoffs I think.

You've gotten some rotten luck, too. Your team is actually pretty damn good. I'm pretty much out of the playoffs as well. I couldn't survive my #2 (Dalvin Cook) and #3 pick (Devonta Freeman) missing 80%+ combined of the season. Throw in LeSean McCoy/Bufflo offense absolutely imploding, OJ Howard being put on the IR, trading for Cooper Kupp and him immidiately getting injured and then later tearing his ACL, Kerryon Johnson and Marvin Jones getting injured in crunch time, and's been a lost season for me.

The most infuriating part of my season was when I lost the last two weeks before this one by a combined 0.88 points, including one where the #1 fantasy consesus DST put up -3 fantasy points against the Bills at home. I always look at my roster and think it's pretty damn good considering all the injuries, but they always disappoint. It's been a maddening season.

Fortunately, in my real money league with my irl buddies, I'm #1 and have the most points by far. It's funny how you can employ the same strategy and effort into two leagues and be first in one and last in the other.
Nov 26 2018 03:04pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Nov 26 2018 12:11pm)
Damn dude, that sucks. You're right, you've gotten absolutely screwed this season. Fantasy football can be infuriating.

You've gotten some rotten luck, too. Your team is actually pretty damn good. I'm pretty much out of the playoffs as well. I couldn't survive my #2 (Dalvin Cook) and #3 pick (Devonta Freeman) missing 80%+ combined of the season. Throw in LeSean McCoy/Bufflo offense absolutely imploding, OJ Howard being put on the IR, trading for Cooper Kupp and him immidiately getting injured and then later tearing his ACL, Kerryon Johnson and Marvin Jones getting injured in crunch time, and's been a lost season for me.

The most infuriating part of my season was when I lost the last two weeks before this one by a combined 0.88 points, including one where the #1 fantasy consesus DST put up -3 fantasy points against the Bills at home. I always look at my roster and think it's pretty damn good considering all the injuries, but they always disappoint. It's been a maddening season.

Fortunately, in my real money league with my irl buddies, I'm #1 and have the most points by far. It's funny how you can employ the same strategy and effort into two leagues and be first in one and last in the other.

Damn lol. Yeah I had Kupp and Howard in a few other leagues as well. And too much experience losing early draft picks. And in this league I lost a game by like a tenth of a point or something and another one by one or two.

I'm in 4 leagues, two I'm making playoffs, two I stunk it up. So not too bad.

Fantasy football is just very luck-related.
Gold: 2,489.69
Nov 26 2018 03:09pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Nov 26 2018 10:11am)

me after that trade went through:

Gold: 500.40
Nov 27 2018 02:27pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Nov 26 2018 03:04pm)
Fantasy football is just very luck-related.

With the exception of the first two seasons of this league. Just sayin'... B)
Nov 27 2018 03:07pm
Quote (JEB90 @ Nov 27 2018 04:27pm)
With the exception of the first two seasons of this league. Just sayin'... B)

I think I won this league the 2 years after you, I can't remember though because I've played a lot of leagues every year. It was at least one. Anyway, it's a bit like poker but without a large enough sample size. It's skill-based, but a given winner in a given season tells you little about the player's skill. I've had a season where I placed 1st place in 6 of the 11 leagues I played. Then the past few seasons I've been shit.

Also comes down to which players your model/opinion values more than consensus and whether they get hurt or over/underperform.
Gold: 0.00
Nov 27 2018 04:12pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Nov 27 2018 03:07pm)
I think I won this league the 2 years after you, I can't remember though because I've played a lot of leagues every year. It was at least one. Anyway, it's a bit like poker but without a large enough sample size. It's skill-based, but a given winner in a given season tells you little about the player's skill. I've had a season where I placed 1st place in 6 of the 11 leagues I played. Then the past few seasons I've been shit.

Also comes down to which players your model/opinion values more than consensus and whether they get hurt or over/underperform.

Then I won the two years after you, but yeah, I can't buy luck this season.
Gold: 500.40
Nov 27 2018 05:42pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Nov 27 2018 03:07pm)

I actually think it's pretty random, too. Sure, either you have a basic grasp of football or you don't. After that it's pretty much a crap shoot. I never cease being amused at the weekly predictions all the experts churn out to the 100th of a point. Come on.
Gold: 1.66
Dec 3 2018 01:37pm
What exactly are the playoffs and how do they work in our league?
Dec 3 2018 02:41pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Dec 3 2018 02:37pm)
What exactly are the playoffs and how do they work in our league?

They are a standard single elimination tournament bracket based on the top 6 of regular season seeding.

Starting Week 15 (the week after this upcoming week) the first round starts. The top 2 seeds have Byes (they automatically advance to the next round without having to beat anyone) and seeds 3-6 will be matched up against each other. Just like the regular season, there will be a one-week head-to-head matchup. The winner of each match-up advances to the next round and the loser is knocked out. Then Week 16 the winner of the two matchups faces seeds 1 and 2. The winner of each of those matchups advances to the championship game. Winner of that game wins the league.

Also just realized that the championship game is on Week 17. Kind of a bummer lol, lots of teams rest their best players on week 17.

Also, the losers of the match-ups technically go to the "consolation bracket" which is basically another single elimination bracket for 3rd place which all 10 players are eligible for. Thought I should mention since 3rd place still wins 10% of the pot in this league.

So basically winner of the main championship bracket gets 1st place, the loser of the main championship game gets 2nd, and the winner of the consolation bracket gets 3rd. (I'm not 100% about the consolation bracket part, he may have changed the settings)

This post was edited by Voyaging on Dec 3 2018 02:47pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1161718192021Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll