d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Youtube, Apple, And Facebook Ban Infowars > Citing Violations Of Hate Speech Policy
Prev167891012Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.93
Aug 7 2018 06:34pm
If you boycott every unethical corporation you are going to have a pretty bad time of it, they are all pretty much shit.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Aug 7 2018 06:35pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ Aug 7 2018 08:34pm)
If you boycott every unethical corporation you are going to have a pretty bad time of it, they are all pretty much shit.

Yep, pretty much.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 7 2018 06:56pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ 7 Aug 2018 19:34)

Personally, I don’t care what corporations do if it doesn’t directly effect me as a consumer.
In this instance, they’re banning someone I don’t know because he said mean or untrue shit that I also don’t care about. I couldn’t care less that they’re doing this.

I was merely commenting on the fact that he claims to not be okay with it then in the same breath will gladly hand them over his money and continue using their services which is essentially showing continued support for them.

I have said time and time again that I’m a selfish person.
If a company is busted using child labor in a third world country I’ve never been to I personally don’t give a shit and would continue to buy their products.
If, however, a company is caught throttling my internet, or price hiking out of reason when there’s a shortage of something, or even claiming that the shit they sell is great when it falls apart a day after I buy it and they won’t refund me I will never again purchase from that company.

I lived in a studio apartment for two years. The only internet providers for that apartment at the time were Comcast and Time Warner. I have been fucked by both of those companies in the past and will never again give them my money, so I went a year and a half without internet at my house for that very reason. It sucked, I like internet, but I’m not forking over my hard earned cash to fatten the wallet of some piece of shit when I don’t agree with the way they do business, period.

If more people took this stance as consumers we wouldn’t have all these companies doing shady shit and getting away with it to begin with. Not that I think this is shady shit with the Alex Jones thing. It’s their business and they are free to do with it as they please, as far as I’m concerned. It is, however, our responsibility as good consumers to keep them in check, even at the cost of our modern conveniences.

This post was edited by Cambridge on Aug 7 2018 06:57pm
Gold: 2,620.00
Aug 7 2018 07:54pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 6 Aug 2018 20:28)
I'd support regulating the major social media sites as limited public forums that must abide by anti-censorship laws due to having monopolistic control over major forms of expression.
As long as they are the gatekeepers of speech, they should be regulated.

My real qualm is whether the Russian-interference narrative can constructively lead to oversight of social media to ensure more freedoms, or if it would necessarily be used to instead curtail freedoms

How would such regulation be enforced? Are you comfortable with government playing a role in private companies' content policies? Or would it strictly be limited to anti-censorship adherence?

Quote (IceMage @ 7 Aug 2018 10:28)
Pretty much this.

Good article on this as well by David French:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/07/opinion/alex-jones-infowars-facebook.html

Thanks for the share. I wonder what would happen if Alex Jones classified InfoWars and his channels as 'entertainment.' Would he be as subject to libel and slander laws?

Quote (ampoo @ 7 Aug 2018 06:37)
true, private corporations can do whatever they like

however banning people without evidence for not agreeing with their political opinion is just a disgrace

we now basically have a handful of monopolists, who are defining free speech as they see fit
meanwhile antifa channels and openly promoting racism against whites (Sarah Jeong) are completely fine, islamists are also unmolested

looking at the insanely powerful positions of these platforms this is nothing short of political censorship, leftists from the democrats have demanded publicly for inforwars to be shut down and it happens
diversity is always great, except diversity of opinions.....

in an ideal scenario nutjobs like alex jones would shut the fuck up, however a free society has to endure this kind of stuff

In July, Mark Zuckerberg actually defended keeping InfoWars on Facebook on the basis of free speech. So this was a bit of an about-face for me.

I suppose Facebook determined that some of Alex Jones' content was aimed at inducing violence, which personally I don't really see examples of.

I do think Conservatives are being unfairly targeted by Big Tech. I haven't dug into the topic of "shadow banning" on Twitter much yet, but it looks like there is something to that.
Gold: 2,617.52
Aug 7 2018 07:57pm
Quote (tagged4nothing @ Aug 7 2018 05:25pm)
this is how the left responds to the right when promoting values over convenience.

i'm starting to think some of you might need medication

They dont care they just want us dead

Never forget that
Gold: 57.00
Aug 7 2018 07:59pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ 7 Aug 2018 21:54)
How would such regulation be enforced? Are you comfortable with government playing a role in private companies' content policies? Or would it strictly be limited to anti-censorship adherence?

Thanks for the share. I wonder what would happen if Alex Jones classified InfoWars and his channels as 'entertainment.' Would he be as subject to libel and slander laws?

In July, Mark Zuckerberg actually defended keeping InfoWars on Facebook on the basis of free speech. So this was a bit of an about-face for me.

I suppose Facebook determined that some of Alex Jones' content was aimed at inducing violence, which personally I don't really see examples of.

I do think Conservatives are being unfairly targeted by Big Tech. I haven't dug into the topic of "shadow banning" on Twitter much yet, but it looks like there is something to that.

they’re being selectively targeted but i wouldnt call it unfair. their platforms their rules.

that said its rather silly to give an entity ‘they want to go away’ unnecessary amounts of attention. their call though. based merchant jones is loving this undoubtedly
Gold: 260.11
Aug 7 2018 08:11pm
There's a line you can cross where I'm uncomfortable with a private party censoring information.

Infowars does not come anywhere near that line.
Gold: 7,365.00
Aug 7 2018 09:42pm
Quote (tagged4nothing @ Aug 7 2018 05:25pm)
this is how the left responds to the right when promoting values over convenience.

i'm starting to think some of you might need medication

They are liberals... which means there's about a 50% chance that they are mentally ill.
Gold: 10,655.00
Aug 7 2018 10:59pm

Gold: 0.00
Aug 8 2018 05:44am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev167891012Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll