d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Keto Diet > Any Of You Guys Use It?
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,895.00
Aug 11 2018 08:38pm
Quote (VinnieG @ Aug 11 2018 05:37pm)
on what specifically

The part I bolded where you said it was healthier

This post was edited by dark-soul on Aug 11 2018 08:39pm
Gold: 0.00
Aug 12 2018 08:29am
Quote (VinnieG @ Aug 10 2018 09:34pm)
Keto is amazing.
Don't expect any crazy benefits performance wise (PR's and such), that'll take months usually to get back to where you were, but you will be generally far better off, and much healthier should you be one that responds well to keto.
Could even get yourself tested to see if you have the gene that more or less shows an affinity for this diet, AKR1C2 I think?

I would recommend IF in combination though, I feel a lot better eating in a 6 or so hour window in the afternoon/evening.

IF and keto is a sure fired way to cut your wrists
Gold: 93.00
Aug 12 2018 07:11pm
Quote (dark-soul @ 11 Aug 2018 22:38)
The part I bolded where you said it was healthier

Oh sorry I don't see bolded very well with the color scheme I have.

It would be easier to debunk what everyone believes is unhealthy about it. Give me something specific.
For instance, dietary cholesterol does not affect blood cholesterol, and that is usually one of the first things used.

Someone ITT mocks eating more fat to lose fat. I should just ignore the idiocy, but this really shows a lack of any knowledge on the matter, and whoever it was should reconsider speaking on something they've no knowledge about.

But really, it's all relative to the individual, and I did mention there is a gene you can get tested for to see if trying keto out may be a good choice.

And I'd like to add, I don't think this is a diet to adhere to completely, but more of a general guideline. I like much of what Mark Sisson has to say on the matter, mainly about going into ketosis a few times a year for a few weeks or so, and otherwise staying low carb and more paleo, which is what I myself do or at least try to stick to.

Quote (ozzyarmy3 @ 12 Aug 2018 10:29)
IF and keto is a sure fired way to cut your wrists

Lol, speaks volumes.
Aug 12 2018 08:04pm
Quote (VinnieG @ Aug 13 2018 01:11am)
Oh sorry I don't see bolded very well with the color scheme I have.

It would be easier to debunk what everyone believes is unhealthy about it. Give me something specific.
For instance, dietary cholesterol does not affect blood cholesterol, and that is usually one of the first things used.

Someone ITT mocks eating more fat to lose fat. I should just ignore the idiocy, but this really shows a lack of any knowledge on the matter, and whoever it was should reconsider speaking on something they've no knowledge about.

But really, it's all relative to the individual, and I did mention there is a gene you can get tested for to see if trying keto out may be a good choice.

And I'd like to add, I don't think this is a diet to adhere to completely, but more of a general guideline. I like much of what Mark Sisson has to say on the matter, mainly about going into ketosis a few times a year for a few weeks or so, and otherwise staying low carb and more paleo, which is what I myself do or at least try to stick to.

Lol, speaks volumes.

Was a joke, don’t get too butthurt.

In all seriousness, I did keto for almost 2 years and lost a tremendous amount of weight.. it served its purpose when I did it, but the way I train now it would be a useless diet.

Gold: 93.00
Aug 12 2018 08:21pm
Quote (ozzyarmy3 @ 12 Aug 2018 22:04)
Was a joke, don’t get too butthurt.

In all seriousness, I did keto for almost 2 years and lost a tremendous amount of weight.. it served its purpose when I did it, but the way I train now it would be a useless diet.

I anticipate the hate for keto in this community, so it's hard to pick up on.

I think a lot of the performance issues people attach to keto stems from not doing it correctly or giving it enough time. I've heard numbers from 7 months to over a year of strict keto in order to deal with the performance drawbacks.

But really i understand its not realistic for most people, especially high level athlete types. That's not to be synonymous with it being unhealthy or impractical.
Gold: 32,090.31
Aug 12 2018 09:00pm
Quote (VinnieG @ Aug 12 2018 10:21pm)

I think a lot of the performance issues people attach to keto stems from not doing it correctly or giving it enough time. I've heard numbers from 7 months to over a year of strict keto in order to deal with the performance drawbacks.

But really i understand its not realistic for most people, especially high level athlete types. That's not to be synonymous with it being unhealthy or impractical.

I think on a cultural and socioeconomic level that keto is impractical.

Enjoy never going out to eat with friends unless you're going to special restaurants.

I can appreciate the idea behind it and the fact that it tends to lead to weight loss as it is so restrictive, but most people can't last on the diet. There are way better options and choices for the average person looking to lose weight.
Gold: 11.58
Aug 12 2018 09:42pm
Quote (VinnieG @ Aug 12 2018 10:21pm)

keto will never allow for the level of performance in strength sport that high carb diets will. you simply will not have the same amount of glycogen stored on a no carb diet as you will on a normal diet. it is a subpar diet for performance purposes.

high fat diets can lead to hyperlipidemia, especially in those predisposed to it. high fat intake can also promote development of pancreatitis (acute bouts can be lethal), and can be associated with T2DM/pancreatic dysfunction. gallstones and biliary disease can be the result of fasting intervals as well as large dietary fat intake. high fat intake can cause steatorrhea, which can be associated with nutrient malabsorption. lack of vegetable consumption = micronutrient deficits, insufficient antioxidant intake, risk of high blood pressure, inadequate fiber intake, etc.

i could go on and fucking on. ketosis is useless unless youre an epileptic that responds to the diet.
Aug 13 2018 04:57am
Quote (VinnieG @ Aug 13 2018 02:21am)

It’s not unhealthy, it is impractical.

The impracticality comes from being able to meet exact same goal on a proper diet
Gold: 5,496.89
Aug 13 2018 05:17pm
I have trouble losing weight unless I cut carbs significantly. Keto helps with this since the high fat intake keeps you feeling full. You have to be really strict about your macros though. If you eat too many carbs in a day, eat something advertised as low carb using a sweetener that spikes blood glucose, or eat too much protien, it will prevent ketosis/knock you out if it.

Gold: 32,090.31
Aug 13 2018 08:50pm
Quote (Motion @ Aug 13 2018 07:17pm)
I have trouble losing weight unless I cut carbs significantly. Keto helps with this since the high fat intake keeps you feeling full. You have to be really strict about your macros though. If you eat too many carbs in a day, eat something advertised as low carb using a sweetener that spikes blood glucose, or eat too much protien, it will prevent ketosis/knock you out if it.

Wut
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll