d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > 7 Years For Murder
Prev17891011Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 745.69
Jan 19 2018 01:14pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jan 19 2018 01:57pm)
most of the stats on it are bullshit. generally they don't control for premeditation in sentencing the way they should. the truth is, like with black people, the stats when controlled properly seem to show a slight inherent bias in sentencing of women. but sentencing is also based on precedent, so thats difficult to control for whereas its easier in cases of race.

If it was JUST the sentencing, then I might be willing to believe that, but this same gap exists at literally every step of the judicial process. If you're going to deny it, you better have some good evidence to support what you're saying.

* Women were less likely to be detained before trial. They were 46 percent less likely than men to held in jail prior to a trial.

* Women who were released on bond were given lower bond amounts. Their bonds were set at amounts that were 54 percent lower than what men were required to pay.

* Women were 58 percent less likely to be sentenced to prison.

* For defendants who were sentenced to prison, there generally was no gender disparity in the length of the sentence. There were disparities in sentencing for some individual types of crime, however. For example, female defendants convicted of theft received longer prison sentences than male defendants convicted of theft. Women convicted of “other property offenses” – a category of crimes that includes arson, receiving stolen property and breaking and entering — received shorter prison sentences.

* Black female defendants were, in some ways, treated differently than white female defendants. Black women were assigned higher bond amounts and were more likely to be sent to prison than white women. Women of both races were equally likely to be released prior to trial.

https://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/criminal-justice/courts-lenient-sentencing-bond-women

Edit - I just want to add this, because you might notice one of those bullet points doesn't make sense with what was presented earlier.

There are other studies that have shown gender disparity in criminal cases, but not as pronounced as Prof. Starr's findings. This is because she is looking at "a larger swath of the criminal justice process" in her analysis, she said. The paper states, "Existing studies have typically focused on single stages of the criminal process in isolation"—in particular, the judge's final sentencing decision. These studies compare actual sentencing outcomes after controlling for the recommended sentence associated with the defendant's ultimate conviction. The problem with this, Starr explains, is that "the key control variable is itself the result of a host of discretionary decisions made earlier in the justice process"—including prosecutors' charging and plea-bargaining decisions. Starr's research incorporates disparities found at those earlier stages, and finds that "more disparity is introduced at each phase of the justice process."

https://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/features/Pages/starr_gender_disparities.aspx

This post was edited by Magicman657 on Jan 19 2018 01:19pm
Gold: 2,489.69
Jan 19 2018 01:18pm
Quote (Magicman657 @ Jan 19 2018 01:14pm)
If it was JUST the sentencing, then I might be willing to believe that, but this same gap exists at literally every step of the judicial process. If you're going to deny it, you better have some good evidence to support what you're saying.

https://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/criminal-justice/courts-lenient-sentencing-bond-women

i wouldnt deny any of those being partially true, but im also sure they are missing out on some pertinent factors that need some controlling or at least mentioning in the conclusions. such as % differences of criminals who are a "flight risk" that have children based on gender. of which men have a higher percent. among many other factors.

but i agree with the general sentiments that women have it notably easier across the board. maybe you were hung up on the phrase "slight inherent bias"? i wouldnt disagree with any of those bullet points.
Jan 19 2018 01:21pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jan 19 2018 02:18pm)
i wouldnt deny any of those being partially true, but im also sure they are missing out on some pertinent factors that need some controlling or at least mentioning in the conclusions. such as % differences of criminals who are a "flight risk" that have children based on gender. of which men have a higher percent. among many other factors.

but i agree with the general sentiments that women have it notably easier across the board. maybe you were hung up on the phrase "slight inherent bias"? i wouldnt disagree with any of those bullet points.

My point of contention is that it's more than a slight bias, and it applies at every step of the way, so by the end of the process it snowballs into ridiculous outcomes.

This post was edited by Magicman657 on Jan 19 2018 01:22pm
Jan 19 2018 01:31pm
Quote (Magicman657 @ Jan 19 2018 01:21pm)
My point of contention is that it's more than a slight bias, and it applies at every step of the way, so by the end of the process it snowballs into ridiculous outcomes.

and my contention is that logical factors need to be controlled for, making it closer to slight. although the semantics of justifying that specific word don't interest me. my point is that the gap between perceived justice and the results in those statistics is closer than you may think due to logical factors you may not be aware of, or that you perhaps assumed the researchers have already controlled for.

one thing to ponder, bonds are set with LOTS of external pressure from the bailbondsmen industry. given this, and the fact that bailbondsmenry is a trade subject to profit like any other, do you think bailbondsmen would quietly allow women the be bailed for less if they had the same flight risk, and therefore cut into their profit?
Jan 19 2018 01:41pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jan 19 2018 02:31pm)
and my contention is that logical factors need to be controlled for, making it closer to slight. although the semantics of justifying that specific word don't interest me. my point is that the gap between perceived justice and the results in those statistics is closer than you may think due to logical factors you may not be aware of, or that you perhaps assumed the researchers have already controlled for.

one thing to ponder, bonds are set with LOTS of external pressure from the bailbondsmen industry. given this, and the fact that bailbondsmenry is a trade subject to profit like any other, do you think bailbondsmen would quietly allow women the be bailed for less if they had the same flight risk, and therefore cut into their profit?

I would have a hard time imagining such obvious factors would go unaccounted for, but really I'd have to spend a lot more time than I have right this second to verify that. Maybe a project for tomorrow afternoon.
Jan 19 2018 01:45pm
Quote (Magicman657 @ Jan 19 2018 01:41pm)
I would have a hard time imagining such obvious factors would go unaccounted for, but really I'd have to spend a lot more time than I have right this second to verify that. Maybe a project for tomorrow afternoon.

its not an easy field to study in a black-white fashion. its hard to quantify a lot of the items so perhaps some of those studies tried and undervalued them, or they didnt try at all in search of an end result. its very common in criminology studies to do both.

some examples, how does a researcher quantify the flight risk factors for children? their age? their number? the presence or lacktherof a significant other? the presence or lacktherof a alternate parents?

then add in tertiary factors in such as employment level, employment duration, salary, home ownership, etc. some of the factors are additionally controlled by other factors, how the methodology deals with this can spell out massively different end results.

if you find any studies post them, i'll read them for sure. it used to be my bread and butter
Gold: 2,617.52
Jan 19 2018 02:49pm
Whales arent protected by the constitution.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 40%
Jan 19 2018 03:02pm
“Gargol was strangled”

The writer has a sense of humor
Gold: 285.00
Jan 19 2018 03:35pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jan 19 2018 01:57pm)
most of the stats on it are bullshit. generally they don't control for premeditation in sentencing the way they should. the truth is, like with black people, the stats when controlled properly seem to show a slight inherent bias in sentencing of women. but sentencing is also based on precedent, so thats difficult to control for whereas its easier in cases of race.

You're saying it is oversimplified and due to other social determinants. Be careful. I said something similar and now I'm a morally bankrupt piece of shit, lol.

Quote (WGUS @ Jan 18 2018 10:09pm)
Anyone that thinks 7 years isn't a slap on the wrist for taking another person's life away isn't right in the head. Especially when you consider with good behavior you generally don't even serve the entire sentence, but instead around half. So in this case that would end up being her likely serving 3.5 years for killing someone else. That most definitely is a slap on the wrist. People get put away longer for lesser crimes.

What about manslaughter, the crime she was actually charged with.

Seven years for manslaughter, not murder.

Seven for manslaughter not a slap on wrist. Again, that's an opinion and you can disagree.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jan 19 2018 03:43pm
Jan 19 2018 03:46pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jan 19 2018 04:35pm)
You're saying it is oversimplified and due to other social determinants. Be careful. I said something similar and now I'm a morally bankrupt piece of shit, lol.

Because you were making jokes about men going to prison longer purely because they're biologically men. snipa isn't taking the piss out of people that have been the subject of injustice for political gain, and he's also using actual statistical reasoning to try and explain his position. Don't act like what you said fucking remotely resembles what he said.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev17891011Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll