d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Android: App To Monitor App Impact?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,830.00
Dec 1 2017 11:38am
Hey guys,
I was looking for an app that would accurately detail the performance impact and the battery usage of apps running in the background.
My end goal will be to offload some of my apps I only need at home to a new at-home-only phone, so I just need to know what apps that would be worth bothering for.

Feel free to correct me if offloading some other apps to a 2nd phone isn't necessary with the right management tools.
I am looking for something time efficient, I don't want to spend oodles of work/time managing something after setup.

I'm pretty ignorant on android and I've recently become far more reliant on my phone, with over 100 apps that I consider mandatory.
I'm looking to have a bit more influence over performance, so any additional tips might be helpful. (just keep in mind ive been on android my whole life, so I know a lot of basics already).

edit: I want to assume the built in app battery usage is not very accurate.

This post was edited by Rapture on Dec 1 2017 11:38am
Gold: 18,352.00
Dec 1 2017 11:30pm
No built in battery app will be accurate, they're all projections based off current usage and even then its still an estimate at best.
Just buy more storage for your phone and offload them to that. Ideally a class 10 micro ssd.

Or

Get one of these...
https://www.amazon.ca/Micro-USB-OTG-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00D8YZ2SA

Then you can use a USB drive for additional storage.
Dec 2 2017 09:43am
Quote (King Atrhur @ Dec 2 2017 01:30am)
No built in battery app will be accurate, they're all projections based off current usage and even then its still an estimate at best.
Just buy more storage for your phone and offload them to that. Ideally a class 10 micro ssd.

Or

Get one of these...
https://www.amazon.ca/Micro-USB-OTG-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00D8YZ2SA

Then you can use a USB drive for additional storage.

I was more interested in discovering what apps were secretly hitching performance by being installed on the phone. stuff running in the background at inconsistent times or when Im unaware.
I still want to add a lot more apps to my phone going forward, so I want to start getting into optimizing performance of my device, preferably without rooting, though i would go that route with one of you guys guiding me ^_^
Dec 2 2017 10:31am
Once again it projects the usage of an app rooted or not.
You'd have to do some real time monitoring and day to day tracking to figure out each app appropriately.
No one can tell you which apps are worst then others towards your battery life either without knowing said apps.

Personally I have a rooted phone with a custom OS and nothing runs without me opening it.
I turn on location service when needed as with wifi though this might be too much for most.
I also carry a spare battery bank that can charge mine and my wifes phone at least 2 times each.
Since I do more emulating/rdp'ing on my phone then calling/texting.

SO many factors come into play, wifi,locations,notifications, email fetching times, screen brightness (especially if its adaptive to current room lighting).
Traveling even wears down battery since your constantly reestablishing connections.
You'd have to establish those things first before even daring to monitoring your phones usage with various apps.
Dec 8 2017 11:32am
Quote (King Atrhur @ Dec 2 2017 12:31pm)
Once again it projects the usage of an app rooted or not.
You'd have to do some real time monitoring and day to day tracking to figure out each app appropriately.
No one can tell you which apps are worst then others towards your battery life either without knowing said apps.

Personally I have a rooted phone with a custom OS and nothing runs without me opening it.
I turn on location service when needed as with wifi though this might be too much for most.
I also carry a spare battery bank that can charge mine and my wifes phone at least 2 times each.
Since I do more emulating/rdp'ing on my phone then calling/texting.

SO many factors come into play, wifi,locations,notifications, email fetching times, screen brightness (especially if its adaptive to current room lighting).
Traveling even wears down battery since your constantly reestablishing connections.
You'd have to establish those things first before even daring to monitoring your phones usage with various apps.

No, that's pretty slick!
Okay, then I have another question.
Is there an app that tracks your battery usage history at a very granular level?

Specifically, I want to see every single bit of Battery % usage over X period of time, and i want it to create a new measurement for every time i remove it from the charger, but as well as synthesize this data into a broader picture at the end of the day
As well as let me compare chunks of time vs other chunks of time from another week. for example, what % of battery do i use on average while im sleeping across an entire month?

let me know if anything like this exists, because i dont want to make one. XD
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Dec 8 2017 11:46am
i recommend closing everything that isn't essential when battery life is a concern. I'm sure you can find a monitor app that will determine how much different apps are using though if you want to prune based on that. Google ftw. I hope my post was helpful and informative, thank you cheese and macaroni.
Dec 8 2017 01:01pm
Quote (Rapture @ Dec 8 2017 12:32pm)
No, that's pretty slick!
Okay, then I have another question.
Is there an app that tracks your battery usage history at a very granular level?

Specifically, I want to see every single bit of Battery % usage over X period of time, and i want it to create a new measurement for every time i remove it from the charger, but as well as synthesize this data into a broader picture at the end of the day
As well as let me compare chunks of time vs other chunks of time from another week. for example, what % of battery do i use on average while im sleeping across an entire month?

let me know if anything like this exists, because i dont want to make one. XD

Andriod phones would have a built in battery tracker app. It will be found in the settings as "battery" usually.
This will give you percentages which with some basic math you can figure out how much is being consumed overall.
This also works off of when you last charged your phone.

As for the comparative part I don't personally know of an app that does it but you could track it urself.

If you want to get into rooting/custom OS's I suggest you start with LineageOS.
Personally I won't go back to a stock OS, like atm I have 34% battery and my phone is saying I have 1day / 15hours of juice left.
Before I'd be lucky to get through a day and now I can usually go 3 days or so.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll