d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Martial Arts, Boxing & Wrestling > The Official Ufc 217 Topic > Stacked Card Is Stacked
Prev15678991Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 10 2017 07:29am
Basically this is what interests me on the card:

Champion Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre
Champion Cody Garbrandt vs. T.J. Dillashaw
Champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Rose Namajunas
Stephen Thompson vs. Jorge Masvidal

Titles & I want to see if Thompson can launch himself toward a title shot.

The top 2 fights are the most interesting to me. Bisping vs GSP is pretty much a freak show b/c Bisping is a fluke champion (he's good, but I don't feel he's a true champ) and GSP is a former true champ who had a bad injury, came back slower, then retired and probably got slower, and now wants to come back against a big, accurate puncher. GSP will obviously have superior skills but it's hard to say what form he'll achieve. If this was prime v prime, I think GSP would literally rush through Bisping. But it's not, and I have my doubts about GSP right now.

Garbrandt v TJ is gonna be exciting. I hope they can go the distance just b/c I think it would be exciting to watch.

Joanna v Rose: Rose is tough and she has gotten a bit better imho but I think Joanna will smash her. Should be reasonably close though unless something weird happens.

Thompson is just a great fighter to watch. Totally different style.

The rest of the card is fine. I'm the opposite of a Hendricks fan. Fat, washed up, had to roid to almost get a title, etc..

I'm going to predict that at least one of the "Other fights" will steal the show.
Gold: 8,000.00
Oct 10 2017 03:32pm
UFC is holding a press conference this Friday at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto at 10 am ET for UFC 217. GSP, Bisping and Dana White will be there. Cool choice in venue.
Gold: 6,487.40
Oct 10 2017 04:35pm
Quote (RewtheBrave @ 10 Oct 2017 08:29)

The top 2 fights are the most interesting to me. Bisping vs GSP is pretty much a freak show b/c Bisping is a fluke champion (he's good, but I don't feel he's a true champ) and GSP is a former true champ who had a bad injury, came back slower, then retired and probably got slower, and now wants to come back against a big, accurate puncher. GSP will obviously have superior skills but it's hard to say what form he'll achieve. If this was prime v prime, I think GSP would literally rush through Bisping. But it's not, and I have my doubts about GSP right now.

After 4 years off dealing with knee injured and the long recovering from that + the exhaustion from his long streak, I'm supporting him and I also have my doubts. For me, the ? is his timing. Im not sure he still has it but lets see.
His speed also will be a factor. Bisping has an awkward style and its kind of effective and he can caught him like he did to Rockhold and thats it.
If Georges manage to put Michael on the ground and match him also on the feet, then Georges is back. I expect a finish from GSP but it might not turn like that lol

Retired Moderator
Oct 10 2017 05:09pm
Quote (nekrotic @ 10 Oct 2017 18:35)
After 4 years off dealing with knee injured and the long recovering from that + the exhaustion from his long streak, I'm supporting him and I also have my doubts. For me, the ? is his timing. Im not sure he still has it but lets see.
His speed also will be a factor. Bisping has an awkward style and its kind of effective and he can caught him like he did to Rockhold and thats it.
If Georges manage to put Michael on the ground and match him also on the feet, then Georges is back. I expect a finish from GSP but it might not turn like that lol

That's probably a safe bet. I think Bisping is more likely to KO him than anything, but if GSP can establish his jab or move enough to compete and if he has some power left in his legs, it could be a long, painful night for Bisping. The other factor is that Bisping may have a cardio advantage here. I imagine GSP will prep with outstanding cardio but it's fair to suspect that if he's planning to fight big, with his injury history factored in, he might not have what it takes to last.
Gold: 307.59
Oct 10 2017 05:16pm
“We’ve been kind of going back and forth with me and Robbie Lawler, I was ranked number one, then he’s number one, then we’re both number one. So hopefully a good win over [Jorge Masvidal] – you know, I understand Tyron [Woodley] is out for a little while, so hopefully we’ll be able to fight against Robbie Lawler, maybe for an interim welterweight title against him for that belt. You’re gonna see more of Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson than you saw in my last two fights against Tyron. I love it when guys come forward, which is something you didn’t see during the Tyron Woodley fight. But that’s just the way Masvidal is, he comes walking forward, he’s not afraid to press the action, which enables me to use my arsenal a little bit better, to use my kicks, to use my angles. So yeah, man, you’re gonna see a more exciting fight from me November 4th.”

“It’s definitely an honor and privilege to be able to face Jorge Masvidal at Madison Square Garden in New York city because it’s a home away from home. I spend a lot of time there anyway, but just to be back there and put on another show in front of the fans. You know, my last fight there I fought a draw, we got ‘fight of the night’ for that fight, so going back there and getting a ‘W’ in my home away from home would just be unbelievable. So, I’m training literally as hard I can for this fight to be able to put on a great performance for everybody in New York city. And man, it is different from the last one because I can just go out there and focus on the fight and not have to worry about the media stuff that comes along with it.”

Stepehn thompson
Gold: 6,487.40
Oct 10 2017 05:34pm
Quote (RewtheBrave @ 10 Oct 2017 18:09)
That's probably a safe bet. I think Bisping is more likely to KO him than anything, but if GSP can establish his jab or move enough to compete and if he has some power left in his legs, it could be a long, painful night for Bisping. The other factor is that Bisping may have a cardio advantage here. I imagine GSP will prep with outstanding cardio but it's fair to suspect that if he's planning to fight big, with his injury history factored in, he might not have what it takes to last.

With Georges, any possible outcome is studied and if he step in front of Bisping its because he made his homework Im not worry about his cardio. Speed and strengh is not the same with big guy like Bipsing and most at MW
Gold: 104,280.00
Oct 10 2017 07:01pm
Quote (nekrotic @ Oct 10 2017 07:34pm)
With Georges, any possible outcome is studied and if he step in front of Bisping its because he made his homework Im not worry about his cardio. Speed and strengh is not the same with big guy like Bipsing and most at MW

Really hoping GSP wins it
Gold: 134.21
Oct 10 2017 07:53pm
Quote (nekrotic @ Oct 10 2017 07:34pm)

I know Chael is hardly a reliable source but he has said that when he worked out with Georges that GSP had strength that he never could have imagined.... And Chael was roided to the gills when he said it
Gold: 2,250.00
Oct 10 2017 08:45pm
No doubt he does georges is thick
Retired Moderator
Oct 10 2017 08:48pm
Quote (xaos4ever @ 10 Oct 2017 21:53)
I know Chael is hardly a reliable source but he has said that when he worked out with Georges that GSP had strength that he never could have imagined.... And Chael was roided to the gills when he said it

GSP has a ridiculous amount of natural power in his legs. He also uses his weight effectively in top position. Plus, he's a very big "170" fighter. One thing I can guarantee is that GSP will be the stronger fighter. If GSP had stopped working out during his retirement, he'd still be stronger than Bisping.

But I don't know if GSP can still translate his strength into power. His speed is going to be everything in terms of the outcome of this fight.
Go Back To Martial Arts, Boxing & Wrestling Topic List
Prev15678991Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll