d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Car And Truck Enthusiasts > Looking For Some Feedback
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 25.00
Oct 3 2017 01:44pm
So if you are a guy (or gal) who likes to modify their vehicles with aftermarket parts and would not mind answering a few questions for me, please post here.
I'm basically doing some market research in the aftermarket automotive industry for a business venture, and I'm looking for some feedback from an actual consumer base.

I'll pm anyone that posts in this thread with a few questions about buying habits and interests.
In your post, let me know what kind of vehicles you're into. Feel free to post a picture of your prized possession or work project :)

Here's my previous vehicles:
My 2014 Evo. Sold it this year:

My 2007 GSXR Track Bike with my 2007 Ford F150 in the background. These were sold in 2014:

My current ride. This project starts next year:

Thanks so much in advance for the help here.
Gold: 1,337,200.00
Oct 3 2017 05:17pm
Let us know where you are located and what you plan on doing.

If you plan to flip parts i'd advise against it. Too many people out there doing it already. If you'd rather be on the install/fab side shoot me a PM. Had a little experience there before. FMX and KOJ would also be good guys to talk to about the fab side. Old Andy would be a good "consumer" prospective to talk to as well.

This post was edited by jimmyhoud on Oct 3 2017 05:17pm
Oct 24 2017 07:51am
Quote (jimmyhoud @ 3 Oct 2017 19:17)
Let us know where you are located and what you plan on doing.

If you plan to flip parts i'd advise against it. Too many people out there doing it already. If you'd rather be on the install/fab side shoot me a PM. Had a little experience there before. FMX and KOJ would also be good guys to talk to about the fab side. Old Andy would be a good "consumer" prospective to talk to as well.

I am looking to open up an online retail company with one on-site location.
I plan on specializing in the aftermarket wheel and tire industry at first.

Eventually, I will hire a good shop mechanic, a graphic designer, and installers. However, this is all after i get some business rolling.

My products, ideally, will be aftermarket wheels and tires for both trucks and cars.
I'll branch out to suspension parts, exterior mods, lighting, and things in-shop like custom wrap jobs, etc. I refuse to saturate the company with too many offers. I'll focus on a few key areas and master them. Then I will expand locations instead of product lines.

When it comes to flipping parts, I agree that the market is relatively saturated. Although this would deter many, I find it to be more inviting, actually. The barriers to entry are extremely low, and a good business model can really set one company apart from another. That's why I have spent the past year and some change developing a business model that offers many different aspects to it. I've tested theoretical applications in my school, Rutgers School of Business, establishing fictitious companies and doing market research. I originally wanted to start a clothing company to operate under this business model, but I'm not passionate about clothing =/
That's why I've been doing more research into the aftermarket car and truck industry. From what I've gathered, it seems really promising.

I'm looking to really just get some insight as to what other customers actually look for when buying said items. More business related and not so specifically product related.

This post was edited by Victim on Oct 24 2017 07:57am
Gold: 788.50
Oct 24 2017 11:15am
Prices, selection and product knowledge would be the main things I feel most customers would be looking for. If you are dealing with aftermarket rims/tires I would have a size calculator and some sort of spacer/nut/bolt combination system in place on your website. Many aftermarket rims are multi fit so the more information you can provide your customers as to what they need to make it work, (will it clear brake calipers etc), the more likely you will have satisfied the clientele.
Gold: 1,337,200.00
Oct 24 2017 12:05pm
Quote (Victim @ Oct 24 2017 08:51am)
I am looking to open up an online retail company with one on-site location.
I plan on specializing in the aftermarket wheel and tire industry at first.

Eventually, I will hire a good shop mechanic, a graphic designer, and installers. However, this is all after i get some business rolling.

My products, ideally, will be aftermarket wheels and tires for both trucks and cars.
I'll branch out to suspension parts, exterior mods, lighting, and things in-shop like custom wrap jobs, etc. I refuse to saturate the company with too many offers. I'll focus on a few key areas and master them. Then I will expand locations instead of product lines.

When it comes to flipping parts, I agree that the market is relatively saturated. Although this would deter many, I find it to be more inviting, actually. The barriers to entry are extremely low, and a good business model can really set one company apart from another. That's why I have spent the past year and some change developing a business model that offers many different aspects to it. I've tested theoretical applications in my school, Rutgers School of Business, establishing fictitious companies and doing market research. I originally wanted to start a clothing company to operate under this business model, but I'm not passionate about clothing =/
That's why I've been doing more research into the aftermarket car and truck industry. From what I've gathered, it seems really promising.

I'm looking to really just get some insight as to what other customers actually look for when buying said items. More business related and not so specifically product related.

Well if you want to model after a company that did it right in the wheel and tire game you need to look at these guys: https://www.customwheeloffset.com/ Ground floor garage startup turned multi million dollar company.

However, in the wheel and tire game you need to market your ass off. The first thing I would do is get a marketing plan together and implement it. And I don't mean some photoshop gangster working in his mom's basement. Hire an inhouse person or get on retainer with an ad agency. Don't do this and you'll be "Bob's tire and wheel" like every other joe blow that thought they would make it.
Oct 24 2017 02:20pm
Quote (ReturnOfCar @ 24 Oct 2017 13:15)
Prices, selection and product knowledge would be the main things I feel most customers would be looking for. If you are dealing with aftermarket rims/tires I would have a size calculator and some sort of spacer/nut/bolt combination system in place on your website. Many aftermarket rims are multi fit so the more information you can provide your customers as to what they need to make it work, (will it clear brake calipers etc), the more likely you will have satisfied the clientele.

That's great feedback. Thanks so much. I would plan to do something just like this. Ideally, I would offer an incentive program to customers who can post their setups, suspension, and experience.

Quote (jimmyhoud @ 24 Oct 2017 14:05)
Well if you want to model after a company that did it right in the wheel and tire game you need to look at these guys: https://www.customwheeloffset.com/ Ground floor garage startup turned multi million dollar company.

However, in the wheel and tire game you need to market your ass off. The first thing I would do is get a marketing plan together and implement it. And I don't mean some photoshop gangster working in his mom's basement. Hire an inhouse person or get on retainer with an ad agency. Don't do this and you'll be "Bob's tire and wheel" like every other joe blow that thought they would make it.

I have been following them for a long time now. They what I would consider to be a unicorn company in the industry. The biggest thing about their company is their user base. I have been putting together a multi-faceted marketing plan. I am not exactly sure how well it would pan out, but if I can get to the launch phase with the website built and some contracts with well-known manufacturers, it is definitely possible. I've been following this industry since I was about 15. I think it is one of the only industries, other than computer electronics, that I'm truly passionate about. Thanks for the feedback, guys. I greatly appreciate it.

This post was edited by Victim on Oct 24 2017 02:23pm
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll