d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Netflix Atypical
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.37
Aug 13 2017 08:35am
Easily watched in a day. Pretty solid acting.

Felt like a long movie rather than a show. The episodes blended together very well.

I found it humorous, especially little innocent, "ignorant" remarks from Sam.

I would say that the show didn't go too deep into the spectrum of the spectrum, but was fulfilling to see follow a "different" type of main lead.
Gold: 0.80
Aug 13 2017 09:31am
the spectrum of the spectrum? ^_^

I'm three episodes in. Enjoying it. However imo the main character appears to be very self aware.. like he's a very high functioning person with autism (we put the people before the disorder B) )

But yea, i'll finish this easy.
Aug 13 2017 09:51am
Quote (WelSh @ Aug 13 2017 03:31pm)
the spectrum of the spectrum? ^_^

I'm three episodes in. Enjoying it. However imo the main character appears to be very self aware.. like he's a very high functioning person with autism (we put the people before the disorder B) )

But yea, i'll finish this easy.

Right, he's a very capable person. Maybe they chose that direction because we as society aren't as adapt to notIcing people that aren't completely obviously austisic.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Aug 13 2017 09:51am
Gold: Locked
Aug 13 2017 12:29pm
Watch the trailer, and nope. Nty
Aug 13 2017 02:47pm
Quote (chelsea11 @ Aug 13 2017 06:29pm)
Watch the trailer, and nope. Nty

That's a shame.

It wasn't anything grounding breaking, and it certainly didn't try too hard to push an agenda, but it was comical over anything.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Aug 13 2017 02:51pm
Gold: 10,025.00
Aug 17 2017 09:16pm
Watched like 6 episodes and the show tries way too hard.

I don't remember the exact line but there was a line in episode 1 or 2 where I was thinking, "ok wow they clearly don't give a shit about anything other than hitting as many boxes as possible". They clearly don't really care about accurate representation and just want to make the list of "quirky atypical nerdy personality" traits as big as possible.

The mother is also one of the worst written characters I think I've ever scene in a show.

One scene I really liked was when the father went to the support group and basically got bullied out of it by all the political correctness bullshit. It is a great scene because it shows how all this super sensitivity bullshit is generally more harmful than helpful. But the thing is I don't know if that's what the show was trying to do... I actually felt like it was an accident that happened when the show was trying to represent the 'proper' way to talk about the issues. Which is really funny imo.

Like the show was trying to be all "this is how you should act you stupid oaf" but the actual message turned out to be "acting this way is extremely alienating for people, and pulls the focus away from actually helping people".

Either way, intended or not, probably the best scene in the series.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Aug 17 2017 09:17pm
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 17 2017 09:22pm
My dad seems to love it. Can almost be certain it's terrible lol.
Gold: 24.40
Aug 24 2017 11:12am
i enjoyed it.
Aug 25 2017 03:20am
Quote (Blah58 @ Aug 18 2017 03:16am)
Watched like 6 episodes and the show tries way too hard.

I don't remember the exact line but there was a line in episode 1 or 2 where I was thinking, "ok wow they clearly don't give a shit about anything other than hitting as many boxes as possible". They clearly don't really care about accurate representation and just want to make the list of "quirky atypical nerdy personality" traits as big as possible.

The mother is also one of the worst written characters I think I've ever scene in a show.

One scene I really liked was when the father went to the support group and basically got bullied out of it by all the political correctness bullshit. It is a great scene because it shows how all this super sensitivity bullshit is generally more harmful than helpful. But the thing is I don't know if that's what the show was trying to do... I actually felt like it was an accident that happened when the show was trying to represent the 'proper' way to talk about the issues. Which is really funny imo.

Like the show was trying to be all "this is how you should act you stupid oaf" but the actual message turned out to be "acting this way is extremely alienating for people, and pulls the focus away from actually helping people".

Either way, intended or not, probably the best scene in the series.

The mother, great actress, but I agree, her storyline was silly. It's like they didn't have enough material to work with so they threw in some random affair. I can see how her family not liking her is realistic, but it just added more of a humorous factor more than anything.

I still enjoyed the show, moreso as a comedy. I would recommend, but probably never will repeat watch.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Aug 25 2017 03:21am
Gold: 63,142.89
Aug 31 2017 07:38am
pounded this out last night

There are definitely flaws in the show, but there are some strong points as well. I would liken it to Master of None S1. There are aspects of it that have a "B Movie" feel to it, but if you can look past those you can see a real heart. Some of the quirky outbursts are literal 'laugh out loud' moments.The dad and the sister were the best chars.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll