d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Wonderwoman > In Theatres Now
Prev1234510Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.71
Jun 4 2017 04:07pm
Will start by saying that I have a weakness for badass female leads, so I'm slightly biased.

Had a couple of minor complaints, but it was actually a really good movie -- miles better than any of the DC films, and I would even rank it up there with my favorite Marvel ones.
Gold: 9,280.04
Jun 4 2017 04:14pm
I liked it, it was good
Gold: 63,142.89
Jun 4 2017 06:26pm
Posted this in GC but didn't get much of a response here, so I'll try it here:

I haven't seen it but for the sake of discussion I'd be curious to see how you respond to these 2 criticisms that I have read.

To be honest, the fight scenes go on too long and the CGI is laid on a bit thick. It isn't necessary.

Gal Gadot is a tomboy superheroine designed for our PC times. Could Jenkins, director of Monster (2004), about psychotic serial killer Aileen Wuornos — one of the most repugnant and perversely “feminist” movies ever — fashion a viable superhero? Instead, Jenkins’s Wonder Woman veers between myth and what is popularly and simplistically demanded of myth these days. Wonder Woman is “feminist” in a petty, trendy way. One cannot ignore the fact that Wonder Woman was made under cultural pressure. Jenkins is not an action director; clearly, she was hired only as a politically correct token.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Jun 4 2017 06:41pm
Gold: 25.20
Jun 4 2017 09:15pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Jun 4 2017 06:26pm)
Posted this in GC but didn't get much of a response here, so I'll try it here:

I haven't seen it but for the sake of discussion I'd be curious to see how you respond to these 2 criticisms that I have read.

Calling her a token and the movie feminist yet she falls for the man and the movie talks about the things men go through in war.

This post was edited by FroggyG on Jun 4 2017 09:16pm
Jun 4 2017 09:17pm
WonderWoman alternate universe:
A German crashes on her island and she defeats all his enemies.
The German brings her to their base and she helps the Germans defeat everyone else.
Germany wins the war!
Gold: 10,025.00
Jun 4 2017 10:15pm
Just got back from seeing it. I would say overall it is a really well done movie. I enjoyed the majority of it.

The characters felt real and the comedy in it felt natural (unlike in Marvel where everything feels fake as fuck) they managed to get some really funny lines in without it feeling like "I'm a clever quirky character so I'm going to say something clever and quirky because it will be funny, but not too clever so the audience can understand the joke" that Marvel puts as every other fucking line of dialogue in their films.

I loved the pacing and tone, going from action to calm/slow parts. It felt very real, how I imagine the war actually felt where you have the calm between the battles. If you like the extreme comic book fake feel of the Marvel films you might not like this film. Personally I prefer this style.

The Wonder Woman theme is so fucking good, I loved the sound design in the film.

The costume designer deserves an award, everything was perfect.

The issues I had were mostly the first 15-20 minutes, but I absolutely hate child actors so I'm biased there. Also they changed Hippolyta unnecessarily imo. From what I remember in the comics she never coddled Diana so much and never tried to keep her away from training. Also the relationship between Diana and the Amazons was changed. They made her seem like an outsider in the island. But this is just personal and doesn't take away from the movie at all.

My other 2 issues would be they used the slowdown fight gimmick a little too much at the start and the other thing is the super cheesy part near the end(you'll know when you see it).

But again they don't really hurt the movie.

Edit: the lasso fighting style is probably the coolest thing I've seen in a comic book movie.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Jun 4 2017 10:16pm
Jun 4 2017 10:25pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Jun 4 2017 10:15pm)
The issues I had were mostly the first 15-20 minutes, but I absolutely hate child actors so I'm biased there. Also they changed Hippolyta unnecessarily imo. From what I remember in the comics she never coddled Diana so much and never tried to keep her away from training. Also the relationship between Diana and the Amazons was changed. They made her seem like an outsider in the island. But this is just personal and doesn't take away from the movie at all.

My other 2 issues would be they used the slowdown fight gimmick a little too much at the start and the other thing is the super cheesy part near the end(you'll know when you see it).

But again they don't really hurt the movie.

Edit: the lasso fighting style is probably the coolest thing I've seen in a comic book movie.

I didn't like how easily the 'mother' was convinced that she should be trained. She was completely against it and then like 10 seconds later she was all for it.
A couple CGI shots I thought could have been better
The slowdown parts on the beach were definitely a little annoying but not a big deal at all.

Other than that the movie was fantastic.

I don't like 90% of Marvel films because of their stupid one liners and having 50 characters that all need their part.
I like the approach DC films take a lot more. They just fail to execute so often.

This post was edited by FroggyG on Jun 4 2017 10:27pm
Jun 4 2017 10:38pm
Quote (FroggyG @ Jun 4 2017 10:25pm)
I didn't like how easily the 'mother' was convinced that she should be trained. She was completely against it and then like 10 seconds later she was all for it.
A couple CGI shots I thought could have been better
The slowdown parts on the beach were definitely a little annoying but not a big deal at all.

Other than that the movie was fantastic.

I don't like 90% of Marvel films because of their stupid one liners and having 50 characters that all need their part.
I like the approach DC films take a lot more. They just fail to execute so often.

Yeah in the comics the mother is like "here is a sword go train" no idea why they made her reluctant in the film. I guess they thought they needed some opening drama but it was completely unnecessary imo.
Gold: 63,142.89
Jun 4 2017 10:40pm
Quote (FroggyG @ Jun 4 2017 11:17pm)
WonderWoman alternate universe:
A German crashes on her island and she defeats all his enemies.
The German brings her to their base and she helps the Germans defeat everyone else.
Germany wins the war!

I would watch that movie so fast

Only problem is they'd have to give WW blonde hair so she fit the Aryan profile

This post was edited by Kayeto on Jun 4 2017 10:40pm
Jun 4 2017 10:44pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Jun 4 2017 10:40pm)
I would watch that movie so fast

Only problem is they'd have to give WW blonde hair so she fit the Aryan profile

You might like the superman red son comic story arc.

What if superman crashed in the Soviet Union instead of Kansas? Basically the same idea.

Edit: also you should ignore all the political bullshit around the movie, don't let it disuade you.

Its a well done movie made by a competent director based on a character that has been around for like 60 years or whatever. The director just happens to be female, which doesn't matter in terms of her ability, and the hero just happens to be female which again is second to her ability.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Jun 4 2017 10:57pm
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev1234510Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll