d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Pets > My Cat Got Out Last Night > I Need Advice
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
May 27 2017 03:43pm
Quote (Toews777 @ May 27 2017 04:10pm)
Good luck man, hoep you find him soon. Ive had this happen before, luckily I found her hiding in a bush the next morning so it was frantic, but short.

Good luck. My parents cat lives outside. Most nights the call ring a bell and it comes running into the garage. But not always, they have gone a few days before.

And sounds dumb, do you have a garage or shed? My cat got locked in our shed like 15 years ago. Took a few days to find it. Late one night we heard it meowing and located it. It never been in there before, but must have run in with the lawn mower or something.

I have been thinking maybe he is trapped in someones garage, I am about to go tresspassing and I dont really care, I need my cat .... going on foot now will update later when home

This post was edited by Cold1992 on May 27 2017 03:43pm
Gold: 27,873.00
May 27 2017 03:44pm
Quote (Cold1992 @ May 27 2017 02:43pm)
I have been thinking maybe he is trapped in someones garage, I am about to go tresspassing and I dont really care, I need my cat .... going on foot now will update later when home

Simply knocking on doors and asking if they've seen it around would help a lot.
You don't need to break the law over this, even though emotionally wise, it seems okay right now.
May 27 2017 03:47pm
Quote (Vilify @ May 27 2017 04:44pm)
Simply knocking on doors and asking if they've seen it around would help a lot.
You don't need to break the law over this, even though emotionally wise, it seems okay right now.

I asked 4 neighbors so far, they were all really nice about it and said they would watch out for him!
Gold: 27,873.00
May 27 2017 03:52pm
Quote (Cold1992 @ May 27 2017 02:47pm)
I asked 4 neighbors so far, they were all really nice about it and said they would watch out for him!

The more eyes the better!! :)
Gold: 3,385.09
May 27 2017 04:55pm
Quote (Cold1992 @ May 27 2017 03:47pm)

Awesome, sucks you haven't found him, but helpful neighbors are great. Good luck with the search, really hope you find him!!!!
May 27 2017 06:02pm
Im going to take into consideration each of these, and act accordingly

YOUR CAT IS TRAPPED – Your cat could be up a tree, on a roof, under a house, inside a neighbor’s basement or shed.
This means that your cat would likely be within its normal territory, usually a 5-house radius of your home. It is
imperative that you obtain permission from your neighbors to enter their yards so that you can look for your cat
yourself. DO NOT rely on asking your neighbor to “look” for your cat. Their idea of looking will be to call if
they see your cat sitting on their patio!
YOUR CAT IS DISPLACED INTO AN UNFAMILIAR AREA – Cats that are chased from their territory either by dogs, people,
or other cats who beat them up and cats that are panicked by fireworks will often become “displaced” into
unfamiliar territory. Many of these cats, once their adrenaline levels have subsided, will work their way back
home, often showing up the next day or a few days later. But many of these cats, especially those with skittish
temperaments, will be so panicked by the experience that they will hide in fear and will be too afraid to return
home. We’ve seen many cases where a cat was “lost” but was actually just three houses away, crouching and hiding
in fear inside a neighbor’s yard! These cats could have jumped a few fences or crossed one street and yet they
behaved like they were feral cats, afraid of humans. Some meowed and let their owners pick them up while others
darted and ran from their owners and had to be humanely trapped. Understand the critical importance of conducting
an aggressive, physical search for your cat within your cat’s immediate territory (neighbors’ yards) in order to
determine if your cat is still within the area. The failure to conduct this type of search is why so many cats are
never found by
their owners and end up being absorbed into the feral cat population.
YOUR CAT WAS UNINTENTIONALLY TRANSPORTED OUT OF THE AREA – Cases of unintentional transport include your cat
climbing into a moving van or service vehicle and being transported to another city or even across the country.
Cases of unintentional transport typically occur with cats that have a curious temperament and are more likely to
climb into cars. They also are more likely to occur in mild weather when car windows are left down or service
vehicle doors and moving vans are left standing open.
YOUR CAT WAS INTENTIONALLY TRANSPORTED OUT OF THE AREA – Cats can be transported out of their territory either
intentionally or unintentionally. Cases of intentional removal include a cat-hating neighbor who captures your
cat and either takes it to a distant shelter or dumps it in a field far from your home. Intentional removal also
includes cases where someone steals your cat, although theft of cats is actually a rather rare occurrence.
YOUR CAT IS INJURED, SICK, OR IS DECEASED – Injured or sick (or displaced, panicked) cats will hide in silence.
We call this “The Silence Factor” and this behavior KILLS CATS EVERY DAY! Hiding in silence is a protective
mechanism that cats use to protect themselves from predators. What this means is that before you print up lost
cat posters or drive down to your shelter to look for your lost cat, SEARCH under and in every conceivable hiding
place on your own property and on your neighbors’ property! It is quite possible that your cat is injured and in
need of medical attention and you will need to use a flashlight and crawl under your house in order to save his
or her life!
YOUR CAT WAS RESCUED – By “rescue” we mean someone found your cat and assumed it was an abandoned stray and
they took it into their house. This happens frequently, especially with cats that are not microchipped or that
do not wear a collar and ID tag. By employing MPP’s instructions about how to make large, neon posters, you can
advertise in your neighborhood that your cat is missing and create the possibility that a kind-hearted “rescuer”
will call you to return your cat.
YOUR CAT WAS STOLEN – Thankfully, this is just not very likely. While some purebred and exotic cats are stolen,
the incidents where someone knowingly steals a cat are quite rare. Cats that are exotic breeds are at risk. Also,
cats who willingly approach strangers and cats involved in the middle of a neighborhood or relationship dispute are at risk of being removed on purpose.
YOUR CAT WAS KILLED BY A PREDATOR – This is sad to think about, but catfurit does happen. Coyotes and Great
Horned owls are predators that occasionally prey upon cats and small dogs if the opportunity presents itself.
If you live in an area where these and other predators (hawks, eagles, cougars, etc.) roam, then this is a factor
that you must take into account. One of the major signs that a coyote has killed a cat is the presence of large
clumps of fur. Smaller wisps or tufts of fur can be a sign of a cat fight, but several tufts together in a clump
which could have been pulled by the mouth of a predator, can be an indication that a missing cat was killed by a
predator. MAR Technicians are trained in how to analyze hair fiber evidence that can even be used to facilitate
forensic (i.e. DNA) testing. If your cat is missing and you find clumps of hair, contact a MAR Technician for
assistance. Keep in mind that in the absence of forensic evidence of predation (hair, scat, collars, etc.), you
should still keep searching for your pet. Many areas with coyotes do not have a history of predation, therefore
it is critical that you continue to search for your pet, as the more likely scenario is one of the above. A MAR
Technician can help you decipher what animals might live in your area and can help you determine the best course
of action.
THINK CLOSE! Please note that unless your cat was transported (intentionally or unintentionally) out of the area,
your missing outdoor-access cat could very likely be somewhere within a 5-house radius of your home. That is
because sick, injured, and trapped cats are often found within their territory. The next farthest to travel would
be displaced cats that might have been chased several houses or a few blocks from home. On rare occasions
(but it does happen) some cats will travel up to a mile (or more) from their territory. The cats that end up the
farthest (many miles) from home, and that are the most difficult to recover, are those that were transported
(intentionally or unintentionally) out of their territory.
Gold: 56,000.69
May 27 2017 06:21pm
One of the psychopath neighborhood children probably went Dexter Morgan on it.

Solution, get a new dog which actually IS mans best friend.
May 27 2017 06:22pm
Quote (Epot @ May 27 2017 07:21pm)
One of the psychopath neighborhood children probably went Dexter Morgan on it.

Solution, get a new dog which actually IS mans best friend.

omg man I want to be pissed at this comment but I have been thinking the same thing because the neighbor children always chase him...
May 27 2017 06:23pm
Wanted to hire a pet detective, none located in my State
May 27 2017 09:22pm
No luck, im so bummed all I can do is look out my window and hope
Go Back To Pets Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll