d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Which Version Of Linux?
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 518.50
May 24 2017 10:48pm
Quote (AbDuCt @ 25 Apr 2017 20:44)
But, but, have you ever wanted to install ffmpeg without any video codec support before? I GUESS NOT.

You are absolutely correct on that.
Gold: 66.40
Jun 1 2017 05:08pm
Quote (ASBands @ 26 Apr 2017 00:48)
Don't listen to anybody telling you to use anything but Ubuntu. If you're a first-time Linux user, you're going to have a bunch of stupid little problems which are already answered by other people on the internet. When you use Google to discover how to solve these problems, they will be answered for Ubuntu. Once you're experienced, it is easy to translate the sequence of steps into whatever distro you are using, but you need to learn the basics first. Don't think that what you start off with will be the same as what you end up with; you're going to reinstall your OS at least once. If you hate Ubuntu's interface (which you should), I would recommend Kubuntu (http://www.kubuntu.org/). It is the same as Ubuntu in every way except the desktop manager is KDE instead of Unity.

I would advise staying away from Gentoo, Arch Linux, and Slackware. They're horrendously difficult to manage. As an experienced Linux user, I find the extra options they add to be completely fucking pointless and a total waste of time (good luck going on vacation and trying to emerge without getting a headache). I would be pretty amazed if a new Linux user could even get any of them installed properly. After that, I would ask why the hell they didn't just install Ubuntu.

Personally, I use OpenSUSE because it has a stable base which is easy to extend. The package management system, RPM, is one of the most robust systems for deployment I have ever used -- it works in exactly the way I want it to. This means package management through zypper (or YaST) is fantastic.

Quote (NorthWestern @ 24 May 2017 18:42)
Started off with ubuntu, currently running Arch along with i3wm. It's been nice so far almost have everything configured the way I want. Working on learning bash & python currently & some web development.

Edit: I would recommend Ubuntu & get the feel of everything first. Run a week without using terminal for anything & after the first week see how long you can go with only terminal for all tasks. After a while you will see how amazing it is & do almost everything from terminal :)

Since you are new the main tip I would give you is if a command fails check spelling. Upper/lowercase letters

I totally agree with these 2 guys, I started with ubuntu ( easy mode with GUI ) and after you can switch whatever you prefer for OS and desktop. Just don't rush full CLI linux for the first time you may ... :wallbash: even if linux is a "CLI" OS.
1 - ubuntu ( lots of packages )
2 - debian
3 - vm, and test all OS, kiding :P
Gold: 575.56
Jun 3 2017 07:46am
Quote (freeskate1 @ Jun 1 2017 05:08pm)
I totally agree with these 2 guys, I started with ubuntu ( easy mode with GUI ) and after you can switch whatever you prefer for OS and desktop. Just don't rush full CLI linux for the first time you may ... :wallbash: even if linux is a "CLI" OS.
1 - ubuntu ( lots of packages )
2 - debian
3 - vm, and test all OS, kiding :P

when i bought my servers that's exactly what i did lol
as long as you got another computer to google the commands to do what you want its no problem if you have ever done work with cmd or anything, which i'd be surprised if anyone in the programmers haven had not

so ya lightweight ubuntu server 16 packed with mysql, apache, php, perl and samba right at the starting line apt-get install cowsay and you're good to go :P
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Jun 4 2017 01:28am
debian
Jul 25 2017 08:23pm
debian
Gold: 90.58
Jul 25 2017 11:40pm
windows is a great version
Gold: 6.69
Jul 25 2017 11:54pm
M Faves are mint and ubuntu but more mint
Gold: 1,080.37
Aug 9 2017 02:47am
I use Fedora, in part because it detect and handles most of my hardware the best (wifi, graphics drivers, etc.) but things like handling non-free codecs and some applications and the slightly fewer desktop-orientated software titles can make it tiresome. The community isn't so bad, so long as you are careful of what you say.

I use Ubuntu in part because it's "all about the apps". If somebody make a desktop orientated application, there is most often a version compiled for Ubuntu over any other distribution. They have succeeded in making probably the easiest distribution for installation and use (prefer Unity over Gnome, but neither are my favorite). Unfortunately I have a love-hate view of what Canonical is doing; I may not like what they do or how they go about cramming it down people's throats but usually the results of it are beneficial or a non-issue (Ubuntu One, Unity, buttons on the left, Rythmbox -> Banshee -> Rynthmbox, etc.)

I like openSUSE and the OBS helps handle most of my "missing software" issues (that and that I could probably survive cloud-only like on my Chromebook if I have to). I think I find openSUSE ahead of Fedora for programs and slightly behind Ubuntu. Adding proprietary bits and controversial technology (e.g. Mono) is easier on openSUSE than on Fedora. Another thing is that I feel like I COULD help, more-so than Fedora or even Ubuntu. Unfortunately here, too, one has to be careful of what is said. Not to mention, for whatever reason openSUSE is the slowest-booting distribution.

Also, green is my favorite color.

stolen from here: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/474017-If-you-couldn-t-use-Opensuse-what-distro-would-you-use/page5?s=b4fe2e616837ce1053a447120babb8e4
Gold: 0.00
Aug 9 2017 02:12pm
Finally got arch/13wm fully set up how I like it :) not sure what I will try next, might try gentoo down the road but I still feel like I have a lot to learn with arch. :)

Would also like to reinstall arch since I have not backed up my system yet & have a bunch of packages I don't need from when I was learning after the Ubuntu switch. Tried a bunch of different terminals, video editors, file explorers, etc.... pretty sure at the beginning I just removed the file through terminal and none of the packages :P

This post was edited by NorthWestern on Aug 9 2017 02:17pm
Oct 2 2017 03:59pm
debian
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll