d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > 13 Reasons Why
Prev123433Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.37
Apr 9 2017 08:25am
Quote (zarkadon @ Apr 9 2017 01:10pm)
Saw the first episode at a friend's house. Thought it was pretty bad. The dialogues are awful... so unnatural and if anything they sound like more college students rather than teenagers. Half of the characters physically look like college students too, but I understand that is standard in these kind of shows.

Can't understand or believe the girl's character either. Are we to believe that this super hot chick that seems to be completely normal and mentally stable is bullied to the point where she decides to commit suicide? Kek. At least Mean Girls turned hot girl bullying into a surreal parody comedy with dark humour. Also, commiting suicide in a flashy way and leaving all these riddles to attention-whore when she already had all kinds of attention doesn't make any sense. The character construction seems completely off.

You clearly aren't getting the message of this show.......especially when basing your opinion off of one episode. The whole purpose of the show is people not paying attention to signs of suicide, and especially not doing anything about it, or caring.

Character development happens over time, you cannot logically comment about it only watching on episode.

The show is touching on very real problems in the school atmosphere. Although I don't think bullying will ever dissipate, getting strong messages like this out there on a popular forum helps.

Side note, I wish every high school had a tony.
Apr 9 2017 08:26am
Quote (LL0RT @ Apr 9 2017 02:40am)
liberalism is cancer

it's the only reason aliens havent visited us, we're deemed too moronic

oh a kid kills himself, let's blame the people around him instead of him and his own weak as fuck fragile "dont mate with shit cuz you'll pass on shitty fucking genes" bullshit pussified life

That's nice, go live in your fantasy world.
Gold: 29,321.34
Apr 9 2017 10:45am
Quote (stupidkid282 @ Apr 9 2017 07:25am)
You clearly aren't getting the message of this show.......especially when basing your opinion off of one episode. The whole purpose of the show is people not paying attention to signs of suicide, and especially not doing anything about it, or caring.

Character development happens over time, you cannot logically comment about it only watching on episode.

The show is touching on very real problems in the school atmosphere. Although I don't think bullying will ever dissipate, getting strong messages like this out there on a popular forum helps.

suicide is natural, it's important for the progression of humanity

nature developed a way for darwinism to take effect, even in an advanced society

the only travesty is people helping them not commit suicide
Apr 9 2017 10:51am
Quote (LL0RT @ Apr 9 2017 04:45pm)
suicide is natural, it's important for the progression of humanity

nature developed a way for darwinism to take effect, even in an advanced society

the only travesty is people helping them not commit suicide

Good for you.
Apr 9 2017 02:42pm
Just finished it. One of the most moving shows I had ever watched.

For those who have finished it, I wish there was another episode to cover the couple of "loose ends" that developed. I think it would have been better that way rather than a potential second season, yet I would completely be happy with a second season.
Gold: 2,570.91
Apr 10 2017 07:20am
Quote (stupidkid282 @ 9 Apr 2017 16:25)

I watched the second episode too. I usually watch 3-4 episodes before deciding if I want to drop a show or not.

Still think it's pretty bad. Not terrible, but it has a lot of flaws. Still think the dialogues and characters are completely out of place. It's very hard to relate to a story and empathize with its message when you everything feels so artificial. I mean the acting is fine, but the characters they portray and the dialogues they have aren't realistic.

The extroverted, witty, cool and hot girl is bullied and unpopular, makes sense! The protagonist constantly sways from being some beta-loner loser to a normal guy with tons of friends. And then there's that ridiculous mexican big brother cool dude that seems to have come out from some early 90s sitcom like Parker Lewis Can't Lose or whatever. And the popular kids run the class like a mafia mob lol. It's just not believable at all.

The only character that seems human to me is the girl's mother. I like her. I have a bad feeling about her though. I'd like to be wrong but the way things go I expect here to find out about why her daughter commited suicide and accept it in a happy ending, basically teaching people that "suicide is ok, your loved ones will get over it". Because so far the theme of this show seems to be justifying suicide and making the audience sympathize wit the suicide girl. If I was a depressive angsty female teenager I'd be having dangerous thoughts after watching this. This really cool and hot girl that represents an ideal is giving up on life because even she can't make it, maybe I should too, after all I'm way more average than her. And her parents are getting over it, so maybe it's not such a bad thing to do...
Apr 10 2017 08:31am
Quote (zarkadon @ Apr 10 2017 01:20pm)
I watched the second episode too. I usually watch 3-4 episodes before deciding if I want to drop a show or not.

Still think it's pretty bad. Not terrible, but it has a lot of flaws. Still think the dialogues and characters are completely out of place. It's very hard to relate to a story and empathize with its message when you everything feels so artificial. I mean the acting is fine, but the characters they portray and the dialogues they have aren't realistic.

The extroverted, witty, cool and hot girl is bullied and unpopular, makes sense! The protagonist constantly sways from being some beta-loner loser to a normal guy with tons of friends. And then there's that ridiculous mexican big brother cool dude that seems to have come out from some early 90s sitcom like Parker Lewis Can't Lose or whatever.And the popular kids run the class like a mafia mob lol. It's just not believable at all.

The only character that seems human to me is the girl's mother. I like her. I have a bad feeling about her though. I'd like to be wrong but the way things go I expect here to find out about why her daughter commited suicide and accept it in a happy ending, basically teaching people that "suicide is ok, your loved ones will get over it". Because so far the theme of this show seems to be justifying suicide and making the audience sympathize wit the suicide girl. If I was a depressive angsty female teenager I'd be having dangerous thoughts after watching this. This really cool and hot girl that represents an ideal is giving up on life because even she can't make it, maybe I should too, after all I'm way more average than her. And her parents are getting over it, so maybe it's not such a bad thing to do...

I went to school in a small town, small enough that two towns used one high school and something like this was evident even in our school. I can imagine that it is true in schools in Florida, Texas, or California where this show takes place. I am positive awful people exist in the current high school atmosphere. We can't be ignorant because something like this didn't happen in the schools we group up in.

I don't feel that same as you with the dialogue, I think it's done well, along with the acting, so we can agree to disagree.

I urge you to finish the show. It only 13 episodes long and I feel like it will change your opinion. the ending is NOT happy, I can tell you that.

The show is conveying multiple important messages about bullying and the ongoing effects of it, and by the last episode, you'll see the trickle down effect. Most importantly, NOTHING can be done unless the victim talks to someone with specifics (also you'll see in the last episode).

You'll see Hannah make her own mistakes too, she isn't just some perfect girl, and in no way does this show, even in the slightest, try to justify suicide.

Please finish the rest. The story isn't complete until the last episode.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Apr 10 2017 08:32am
Gold: 1,120.01
Apr 10 2017 10:40am
I think it's important to realize as artificial as some of the characters seem (I understand the point because of how old they look and some of the things they do) is that what goes on in this show are legit things that happen in schools everywhere.
Apr 10 2017 10:50am
Quote (Greet @ Apr 10 2017 04:40pm)
I think it's important to realize as artificial as some of the characters seem (I understand the point because of how old they look and some of the things they do) is that what goes on in this show are legit things that happen in schools everywhere.

Yes. These are real-life situations whether we have witnessed them or not.

Actors "generally" are older than the parts the play in the case of young adults.

But even remembering back in school, certain people looked older than others, it's not uncommon at all.
Gold: 8,355.04
Apr 10 2017 09:22pm
Quote (stupidkid282 @ Apr 9 2017 04:42pm)
Just finished it. One of the most moving shows I had ever watched.

For those who have finished it, I wish there was another episode to cover the couple of "loose ends" that developed. I think it would have been better that way rather than a potential second season, yet I would completely be happy with a second season.

agreed x2
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev123433Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll