d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Duffington Post > Bringing You Real News
Prev1269270271272273528Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 28,296.69
Feb 7 2019 09:52am
Cindy McCain backtracks after police refute her story of saving child from human trafficking at airport

The story Cindy McCain told on an Arizona radio show Monday was unsettling: Just last week, she said, she witnessed human trafficking at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport — a child victim.

She said it was a lesson in the Department of Homeland Security motto: “If you see something, say something.”

“I came in from a trip I’d been on and I spotted — it looked odd,” McCain, co-chair of the governor’s Arizona Human Trafficking Council and wife of the late senator John McCain (R-Ariz.), told KTAR News on Monday. “It was a woman of a different ethnicity than the child, this little toddler she had, and something didn’t click with me. I tell people: Trust your gut. I went over to the police and told them what I thought, and they went over and questioned her. And by God, she was trafficking that kid.”

The radio show hosts were aghast.

“No way!” one said.

“And you said a toddler?” the other asked.

“Yes,” McCain said. “A toddler. It was a toddler. She was waiting for the guy who brought the child to get off the airplane.”

But as it turns out, the Phoenix Police Department on Wednesday disputed that any human trafficking had taken place that day in statements to other local Phoenix news outlets, leading McCain to issue an apology. The longtime advocate for human trafficking victims and the mother of an adopted Bangladeshi daughter, McCain said she hoped the mistake would not deter others from abiding by the DHS motto.

“At Phoenix Sky Harbor, I reported an incident that I thought was trafficking,” she wrote on Twitter. “I commend the police officers for their diligence. I apologize if anything else I have said on this matter distracts from ‘if you see something, say something.'"

Phoenix police told KTAR and CBS 5 on Wednesday that investigators arrived to perform a welfare check on the child at the airport Jan. 30 following McCain’s complaint, but that they found “no evidence of criminal conduct or child endangerment.”

At Phoenix Sky Harbor, I reported an incident that I thought was trafficking. I commend the police officers for their diligence. I apologize if anything else I have said on this matter distracts from “if you see something, say something”
— Cindy McCain (@cindymccain) February 7, 2019

The case fits in with others in recent years in which parents of children whose skin color or ethnicity differs from theirs fell under suspicion from other travelers or authorities at airports.

In December 2017, a white Arizona man said he was accused at the same Phoenix airport of trafficking his 16-year-old daughter, whom he and his wife adopted from China. The man, Brian Smith, told ABC 15 that police approached him at a terminal as soon as he got off the plane and said a flight attendant “had some concerns” about his daughter. Southwest Airlines sent a “heartfelt apology” to the family, adding that flight attendants had been trained to flag possible human trafficking.

“I don’t like to accuse anyone of anything,” the girl’s mother, Renee Smith, told ABC 15. “But if Georgianna was a Caucasian child, I don’t believe this would have happened.”

Something similar happened again last May. Lindsay Gottlieb, the women’s basketball coach at the University of California at Berkeley, who is white, said that a Southwest Airlines employee asked her to “prove” that her 1-year-old biracial son was really hers. The employee at Denver International Airport asked her to produce the boy’s birth certificate, Gottlieb said.

“She said because we have different last names. My guess is because he has a different skin color,” Gottlieb wrote on Twitter.

The airline said in a statement to The Washington Post that it was sorry “if our interaction made this family uncomfortable. That is never our intention.” It added that Southwest’s policy is to verify that lap children are younger than 2 by reviewing a birth certificate or government-issued ID, and that the airline must verify additional paperwork for those traveling to certain international locations with a minor.

McCain has frequently urged travelers to familiarize themselves with signs of human trafficking and to speak up if they notice something suspicious, as she told KTAR on Monday. Human trafficking is also a core research focus at the McCain Institute for International Leadership at Arizona State University, where McCain serves on the Human Trafficking Advisory Council and the board of trustees.

Gold: 107.77
Feb 7 2019 10:09am
Thought that was an ewok for a sec :huh:

This post was edited by MSX98 on Feb 7 2019 10:09am
Gold: 28,296.69
Feb 7 2019 07:17pm
Amazon chief executive Jeffrey P. Bezos said Thursday that he was the target of an extortion attempt by the National Enquirer, which he said threatened to publish embarrassing photos of him if he didn’t halt his investigation into how the tabloid obtained private texts and photos between him and his mistress.

Bezos, who owns The Washington Post, said the Enquirer made the blackmail threat after he began looking into how the tabloid acquired text messages that revealed his relationship with Lauren Sanchez, a former TV anchor.

In a rare and revealing statement posted to the online publishing platform Medium, Bezos said the National Enquirer wanted him to make a false public statement to the news media that he and his security consultant, Gavin de Becker, “have no knowledge or basis for suggesting that AMI’s coverage [of the affair] was politically motivated or influenced by political forces.” (AMI is American Media, the parent company of the National Enquirer.)

Bezos declined to do so.

Instead, Bezos published emails from National Enquirer executives to a lawyer representing de Becker, including one in which top editor Dylan Howard appears to suggest that the tabloid would publish revealing photos of Bezos and Sanchez.

“ . . . In the interests of expediating [sic] this situation, and with The Washington Post poised to publish unsubstantiated rumors of The National Enquirer’s initial report, I wanted to describe to you the photos obtained during our newsgathering,” Howard wrote. He added, “It would give no editor pleasure to send this email. I hope common sense can prevail — and quickly.”

Bezos went on to say in the statement that “any personal embarrassment AMI could cause me takes a back seat because there’s a much more important matter involved here,” Bezos wrote. “If in my position I can’t stand up to this kind of extortion, how many people can?”

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos accuses National Enquirer of ‘extortion’ over intimate photos

Gold: 3,100.00
Feb 7 2019 07:22pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Feb 7 2019 09:17pm)
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos accuses National Enquirer of ‘extortion’ over intimate photos

So the real reason for the most expensive devoice was he wanted to be ahead of their blackmail?
Gold: 0.00
Feb 7 2019 07:49pm
David Menzies of The Rebel.Media reports: While Toronto’s domestic homeless must go to shelters or even sleep under elevated expressways, Justin Trudeau’s increasing number of imported “irregulars” are given the royal treatment at Toronto hotels. Watch as I show you the inhospitable treatment we received for trying to report at one such hotel, and also show you why this problem is just going to get worse.
Feb 8 2019 06:22am
Canada is Fooked

Feb 8 2019 03:42pm
so the black racists were hurling slurs at the native march attendees aswell

and scumshit Nathan Phillips STILL chose to confront somebody else

Gold: 500.00
Feb 10 2019 09:21am
people who wanted currencies the govt couldn't get it's hand on now want the govt to help them after they've lost 250 million dollars

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/quadriga-bitcoin-bankruptcy-1.5004735?fbclid=IwAR3HAp8KxJvDp4EFAAQzniQCUp-OAsDhKhFq1jF2aQdc6VGbZp48iYki2vg
So much for living the libertarian dream.

Canadians who have lost about $200 million escaping the control of "fiat currency," backed by governments, and market regulation are now asking for help from the authorities to try to get their money back.

The B.C.-based Quadriga is going to court today in Halifax to claim protection from its creditors under Canadian bankruptcy law.

QuadrigaCX granted creditor protection while it searches for $250M in cryptocurrency
And according to documents prepared for the court hearing, suddenly it turns out that a company widely seen as Canada's biggest cryptocurrency trader, a company that described itself as a "leading bitcoin exchange" was really just a guy with a computer.

Government should be freaking
And now the guy in question, Gerald Cotten, the company's CEO and sole director, has been reported by his widow to be dead, taking his passwords with him into the great beyond. And the nearly $200 million in the QuadrigaCX "bank" has gone missing or is inaccessible, locked away in encrypted wallets

"You know if any other group of Canadians lost $300M from a bank or other finance company, the govt would be freaking, responding and bailing them out but they just don't care when crypto people lose vast sums of money," tweeted Canadian lawyer Christine Duhaime. "It's not right."
Gold: 10,655.00
Feb 11 2019 06:06pm
U.S. lawmaker apologizes after House leaders condemn comments as anti-Semitic

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-omar/u-s-lawmaker-apologizes-after-house-leaders-condemn-comments-as-anti-semitic-idUSKCN1Q02CY

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic lawmaker Ilhan Omar apologized on Monday after party leaders condemned her comments about the pro-Israel lobby in the United States as using anti-Semitic stereotypes.

Bitch is in office less than 4 months and is already starting up holy war crap on US soil. :/

This post was edited by Ghot on Feb 11 2019 06:07pm
Gold: 107.77
Feb 11 2019 06:44pm
Quote (Ghot @ Feb 11 2019 07:06pm)
U.S. lawmaker apologizes after House leaders condemn comments as anti-Semitic

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-omar/u-s-lawmaker-apologizes-after-house-leaders-condemn-comments-as-anti-semitic-idUSKCN1Q02CY

Bitch is in office less than 4 months and is already starting up holy war crap on US soil. :/

Give her the iron boot :evil:

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1269270271272273528Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll