d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Stranger Things > Netflix Orginal
Prev1252627282944Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.37
Oct 29 2017 04:21am
Quote (Arsenic_Touch @ Oct 29 2017 05:31am)
Was fantastic.

Poor kitty and poor samwise.

Spoiler alert...................
Gold: 63,142.89
Oct 29 2017 02:43pm
It was great. On par with season one. I feel like it peaked after episode 7 then the ending was a bit of a letdown. But overall it was still not disappointing. I'm sure everyone will have plenty of good things to say about it, so I'll mention some things that I didn't like:

FULL SPOILERS

At the end all they did was close the gate. They didn't actually resolve the danger they just ended up right back where the season started. In contrast, season one developed a conflict and resolved it. Will was missing, there was a monster in the town killing kids and the main characters had to discover what was going on in the lab. Those plotlines all were advanced in a meaningful way by the end of the season. The only real plot advancement that season 2 ended with was the lab closing.

Watching the season made me realize that the show is guilty of the trope of 'introducing side characters just to kill them off while the main characters repeatedly face fake danger'. This season introduced the handful of new characters and only killed off one.

Gold: 10,025.00
Oct 29 2017 03:20pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Oct 29 2017 01:43pm)
It was great. On par with season one. I feel like it peaked after episode 7 then the ending was a bit of a letdown. But overall it was still not disappointing. I'm sure everyone will have plenty of good things to say about it, so I'll mention some things that I didn't like:

FULL SPOILERS

At the end all they did was close the gate. They didn't actually resolve the danger they just ended up right back where the season started. In contrast, season one developed a conflict and resolved it. Will was missing, there was a monster in the town killing kids and the main characters had to discover what was going on in the lab. Those plotlines all were advanced in a meaningful way by the end of the season. The only real plot advancement that season 2 ended with was the lab closing.

Watching the season made me realize that the show is guilty of the trope of 'introducing side characters just to kill them off while the main characters repeatedly face fake danger'. This season introduced the handful of new characters and only killed off one.

The season started with a giant ass gate threatening to devour the world, ended with the gate closed and the danger gone. I'd call that pretty resolved. They obviously weren't going to deal with the Godlike creature that was trying to invade, how would they? The best and only solution is to stop him from being able to get there, which they did.

Edit: and they didn't introduce new characters just to kill them off. Samwise was a pivotal plot character, he essentially started all of the issues the characters had by telling the kid to try and stand up to the monster instead of run. Without that happening half the season wouldn't have happened.

Quote (stupidkid282 @ Oct 29 2017 03:21am)
Spoiler alert...................

This entire thread. Fucking duh.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Oct 29 2017 03:23pm
Oct 29 2017 04:52pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 29 2017 09:20pm)
The season started with a giant ass gate threatening to devour the world, ended with the gate closed and the danger gone. I'd call that pretty resolved. They obviously weren't going to deal with the Godlike creature that was trying to invade, how would they? The best and only solution is to stop him from being able to get there, which they did.

Edit: and they didn't introduce new characters just to kill them off. Samwise was a pivotal plot character, he essentially started all of the issues the characters had by telling the kid to try and stand up to the monster instead of run. Without that happening half the season wouldn't have happened.

This entire thread. Fucking duh.

Nah, like I said in a preiviois post, it would have been better for people to at least let the weekend end before discussing the season. Additionally, the entire thread wasn’t dedicated towards spoilers, it wa hype train.

I was going to create a separate thread for discussion, but I haven’t had a chance to finish the last few episodes.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Oct 29 2017 04:53pm
Oct 29 2017 05:07pm
Quote (stupidkid282 @ Oct 29 2017 03:52pm)
Nah, like I said in a preiviois post, it would have been better for people to at least let the weekend end before discussing the season. Additionally, the entire thread wasn’t dedicated towards spoilers, it wa hype train.

I was going to create a separate thread for discussion, but I haven’t had a chance to finish the last few episodes.

This is the show discussion thread.
Oct 29 2017 05:43pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 29 2017 05:20pm)
The season started with a giant ass gate threatening to devour the world, ended with the gate closed and the danger gone. I'd call that pretty resolved. They obviously weren't going to deal with the Godlike creature that was trying to invade, how would they?

I know I used the word 'resolved' in the previous post, but that wasn't really what I was getting at. What I was really trying to say is that they didn't advance that element of the story much. The little bit of advancement that happened was A ) the main chars learned more about what is in the other world and B ) they still have one of the dogs in the fridge, so that could lead to something. It just seems like a small amount of progress for a whole season. Almost like the writers are purposely trickling out info about that world so they can make sure to get 5 seasons. The bulk of the actual events that took place this season were simply reversed.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Oct 29 2017 05:44pm
Oct 29 2017 06:03pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 29 2017 05:20pm)

Yes he played a role in advancing the plot but he was a side char. He gives the writers a way to kill someone off without losing someone from the main cast.

In contrast, S1 started off with a bang by putting Will in danger we felt was real. We weren't sure if he would be safe at the end of the season. Then Barb's death forced us to at least consider the possibility that it was going to turn into a survival type situation where teenagers would be getting picked off. But now that so many episodes have gone by with no main characters deaths, seeing those chars in trouble is now fake drama. Next time I see Hopper covered by vines alone in a dark tunnel, I'll just roll my eyes and groan because I don't believe he could die.
Oct 29 2017 06:35pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Oct 29 2017 05:03pm)
Yes he played a role in advancing the plot but he was a side char. He gives the writers a way to kill someone off without losing someone from the main cast.

In contrast, S1 started off with a bang by putting Will in danger we felt was real. We weren't sure if he would be safe at the end of the season. Then Barb's death forced us to at least consider the possibility that it was going to turn into a survival type situation where teenagers would be getting picked off. But now that so many episodes have gone by with no main characters deaths, seeing those chars in trouble is now fake drama. Next time I see Hopper covered by vines alone in a dark tunnel, I'll just roll my eyes and groan because I don't believe he could die.

And that's when he will die.

Quote (Kayeto @ Oct 29 2017 04:43pm)
I know I used the word 'resolved' in the previous post, but that wasn't really what I was getting at. What I was really trying to say is that they didn't advance that element of the story much. The little bit of advancement that happened was A ) the main chars learned more about what is in the other world and B ) they still have one of the dogs in the fridge, so that could lead to something. It just seems like a small amount of progress for a whole season. Almost like the writers are purposely trickling out info about that world so they can make sure to get 5 seasons. The bulk of the actual events that took place this season were simply reversed.

I think a lot of stuff happened. Will was cured, the government facility was shut down, the gate was closed, barb got some semblance of justice. A lot of open ended stuff from s1 was dealt with.

I'm not really sure where season 3+4 will go, if they actually are making more. Tbh I feel like 1+2 are a really well done start to finish story that doesn't need anything added to it.

Would be cool if they did something like AHS and had s3+4 be completely different with the same feel. But I think it has gotten too big for them to pull a move like that, too many normal people would be upset if that happened.
Oct 29 2017 08:51pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 30 2017 12:35am)
And that's when he will die.

I think a lot of stuff happened. Will was cured, the government facility was shut down, the gate was closed, barb got some semblance of justice. A lot of open ended stuff from s1 was dealt with.

I'm not really sure where season 3+4 will go, if they actually are making more. Tbh I feel like 1+2 are a really well done start to finish story that doesn't need anything added to it.

Would be cool if they did something like AHS and had s3+4 be completely different with the same feel. But I think it has gotten too big for them to pull a move like that, too many normal people would be upset if that happened.

I'm with you about not knowing where they will go. The very last scene was wicked lazy.

They still can do more with El's mom, trying to cure her, and 8, but i don't personally really care for 8's narrative. Then we aren't sure about Brenner's status.

Such a solid two seasons, I would hate for them to stop, but I don't want them to saturate it just for the sake of making seasons.

I think it's possible, if the gate was opened again, for there to be a lot more time spent in the upside down.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Oct 29 2017 09:09pm
Oct 29 2017 09:25pm
Quote (stupidkid282 @ Oct 29 2017 07:51pm)
I'm with you about not knowing where they will go. The very last scene was wicked lazy.

They still can do more with El's mom, trying to cure her, and 8, but i don't personally really care for 8's narrative. Then we aren't sure about Brenner's status.

Such a solid two seasons, I would hate for them to stop, but I don't want them to saturate it just for the sake of making seasons.

I think it's possible, if the gate was opened again, for there to be a lot more time spent in the upside down.

I think opening the gate again would feel boring. Been there done that kind of thing. Plus it would kind of ruin half of season 2.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev1252627282944Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll