d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Graphic Design > Photography > Value Of Used Camera Lenses > I Need Some Advice
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,069.69
Jan 28 2015 01:58pm
Hey Photo forum

I have a used Canon EFs 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS II lens, and I don't really need it. I got it when I bought a Canon T3i at a Sears garage sale. It was most likely an opened/returned camera. The lens looks like it's never been used before. I took it out to try it, but it's practically brand new.

I was curious on how much one would actually sell it for. My aunt is new to photography and I think she could use a lens like this. She wants to check it out first, but I really don't know how much to ask if she buys it.

The lens seems to be selling from $200 - $300 depending on where I look. I also looked at some used websites to get an idea and seems no one really wants them. I've never sold a lens before, any tips and advice would be great!
Gold: 125.00
Jan 29 2015 02:03am
Sells for $249 on B&H, probably sells for $150-$200 when bundled or on sale, or possibly a little lower if in a bundle (which can influence resale value).

I would presume you could get in the range of $80 to $160 for it, depending.

It's not going to retain a significant amount of its resale value like some other lenses would (lenses that tend to hold resale value are highly-touted prime lenses, professional lenses, etc), but it should be in the 50-75% original cost resale value range. It's hard to say, you'd have to look at your Craigslist and see what you can do.

This post was edited by Canadian_Man on Jan 29 2015 02:04am
Gold: 2,069.69
Jan 29 2015 11:33am
Quote (Canadian_Man @ Jan 29 2015 02:03am)
Sells for $249 on B&H, probably sells for $150-$200 when bundled or on sale, or possibly a little lower if in a bundle (which can influence resale value).

I would presume you could get in the range of $80 to $160 for it, depending.

It's not going to retain a significant amount of its resale value like some other lenses would (lenses that tend to hold resale value are highly-touted prime lenses, professional lenses, etc), but it should be in the 50-75% original cost resale value range. It's hard to say, you'd have to look at your Craigslist and see what you can do.

Okay - I was thinking around that range ... 150. I figured this is just a standard lens, kind of like a kit lens, and wouldn't hold its value, so I was curious how much one would knock off the price.

A lot of the used sites from where I am from don't have this lens at all. So it's hard to get an idea of what people here are selling them for. (Canada) I searched Kijiji and Craigslist and nothing has come up :lol:

Thank you! ^_^

This post was edited by Chantal7 on Jan 29 2015 11:36am
Go Back To Photography Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll