d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > My Culinary Journey > Life Of A Restaurant Chef
Prev11617181920Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,247.73
Sep 13 2016 03:38pm
Quote (gOOk @ Sep 1 2016 11:40am)
Your plating is definitely showing improvements from few years ago to now.

work hard, stay humble, be true.

Sending love for my fellow brother in arms from NYC! I'm on that same grind :)

this. your plating is miles ahead of where you were before.

I also agree that the tasting dish could have been plated on something different, maybe a small oval or rectangle.

overall, its good to see you keeping up with this and great to see your steady improvement! especially love your use of splashes and smudges instead of dots on everything. dots have their place and I think you've honed it nicely!

10/10 for determination and growth
Gold: 21,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Sep 30 2016 08:47am
I haven't posted much in a while. My executive chef has been on leave because he and his wife had their first child, which is really cool. So for the most part, I've been stuck in the office taking care of paperwork and such in his absence, which has kept me out of the kitchen far more than I have wanted. But I am proud to say that I have taken my test, and I am now officially a certified Sous Chef. I've been working towards this for a few years and I am so happy to have achieved this. Anyway, we started working on a new tasting menu that we plan to start running next week, and that menu will be changing weekly, sometimes daily, depending on what we get from our providers. Here's some stuff that I came up with. The staff reaction was great, and I feel like I was able to represent the produce respectfully. This week we got some really nice radishes in, as well as red beets, local honey crisp apples, and ribeye from a local farm.

The first dish is a simple vegetable offering of radishes/ local baby tomatoes/ quick pickled shaved radish/ apples/ last of the season watermelon/ and reduced tart cherry juice. It was bright, and refreshing.

The next course was all about beets. If you treat beets properly, they have an incredible earthy flavor, and soft texture. I simply braised these beets in orange juice and some thyme for about 4 hours. They still kept their vibrant red color which was what we wanted.
This dish is a salad of beets/ pickled radishes/ apples/ beet gel/ tomatoes/ and I used the pulp left over from when I juiced the beets. The pulp had a surprisingly nice texture and a mild flavor.

The final dish we focused on the ribeye we received. I wanted to go with a more straight forward, meat and potatoes approach. We had some red cabbage which pairs nicely with the beef.
This dish is seared ribeye/ potato and leek puree/ charred tomatoes/ and a red cabbage emulsion.

There will be 6-7 more dishes added to this tasting menu, but I feel like we got off to a good start. Things will be adjusted, but I'm happy with where it is headed.

Thanks so much for looking.
Gold: 69.69
Oct 3 2016 10:41am
Food coloring?
Gold: 0.00
Oct 3 2016 02:45pm
if it tastes as good as it looks .... gg

:drool:
Oct 5 2016 08:06am
Quote (nickmfwood @ Oct 3 2016 11:41am)
Food coloring?

No sir. The bright purple sauce is pureed roasted purple cabbage, thyme, garlic, and a little orange. I also juiced some purple cabbage to keep that vibrant purple color. I simmered it and thickened it just a little with some agar agar.

Quote (known954 @ Oct 3 2016 03:45pm)
if it tastes as good as it looks .... gg

:drool:

Thanks, kind sir!
Oct 5 2016 08:13am
This is something I was playing around with at home, using some things I had laying around. The flavors were great, and it really reminded me of fall. I may change a few things and put it on our fall tasting menu.

Anyway, this is a dehydrated sponge cake/ fresh cranberries/ last of the season peach spheres/ shaved peaches/ reduced cherry and orange.

The flavors were light and refreshing. I may do something with pulled sugar, or add another cranberry element. Maybe a foam or something.

Thanks for looking.
Gold: 337.21
Oct 6 2016 12:44am
this looks like blood smeared over the plate

I dont get why star cooks do that.
Its a sauce not paint.
And ofc you want to present it beautiful.

But if you use it as paint then at least PAINT with it and dont smear it all over the plate.

If the plate is your canvas - and you are an artist - then you are not done by mixing a nice paint and then taking the brush and
SMEARING it once or twice above the canvas.

For example you couldve made a cherry tree with a red background out of it. That wouldve been nice.

and for that green leaves (mint?) I think its great, but did you ever bite into one leaf, its then way too minty all of the sudden.

Apart from that I really appreciate you posting this stuff here. However if I ever wanted to cook what you did at home I didnt know where to start.
Could you give more directions on the most important points and how to make it (or what you as a professional look at that I probably would not do at home)

For example how do you do the (any) emoulsion with that red cabbage? It really looks tasty, but HOW :drool: ?
If I made that dinner I couldnt have gotten the flesh as perfectly as you did. Idve got the tomatoes allright I guess. Would not have used Leek as puree and probably not have put the radishes on there. Im not sure about the leaves (what they are and why you didnt cut them, since as a whole theyd probably dominate the flesh taste if you chew on them)?

€ I now read that the plant is supposed to be thyme. Where do you get such big thyme leaves? I just know the little ones. Is this a special sort of thyme? Why did u use that instead of the smaller leaves?

This post was edited by Hooo on Oct 6 2016 12:46am
Gold: 337.21
Oct 6 2016 12:56am
regarding your last dish
id say pickled pumpkin (fresh and sour sweet)
or pickeled beets
foam is nice too, you could bubble up some milk or even beer foam with gelantine :D I wouldnt do the work but maybe its ok

regarding your beet dish: Didnt you get some yellow beets? They taste fantastic too and the color really adds to the dish imho.
Gold: 460.44
Oct 14 2016 06:16am
Quote (Creations @ 5 Oct 2016 16:13)
This is something I was playing around with at home, using some things I had laying around. The flavors were great, and it really reminded me of fall. I may change a few things and put it on our fall tasting menu.

Anyway, this is a dehydrated sponge cake/ fresh cranberries/ last of the season peach spheres/ shaved peaches/ reduced cherry and orange.

The flavors were light and refreshing. I may do something with pulled sugar, or add another cranberry element. Maybe a foam or something.

http://i.imgur.com/EaDqw8Q.jpg

Thanks for looking.

This looks fine as hell :drool:
Gold: 105,000.00
Oct 26 2016 08:21am
Those are really delicious food.

Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
Prev11617181920Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll