d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Political Picture Thread
Prev1456845694570457145725001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Jun 17 2021 11:40am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 17 2021 12:27pm)
im cherry picking your contradiction. you want to include house chores of millennials but exclude homemakers of the boomer era entirely from the calculation. and of course millenials dont live in fully automated houses, we're talking about nominal factors. more millenials live in apartments and dont shovel or mow anything, dont repair anything. the average millennial today couldnt change the trap on a bathroom sink i'd wager, thats a shift.

my point is that neither commute nor home chores should count. we SHOULD exclude both homemaker hours and millennial chores, and commute. the comparison should be # of hours paid on the job if we want apples to apples. if it includes ubering, or other side hustles, and millenials win, fine. id just be interested to find out the real number without fluff.

Oh, in that case millenials win by a wide wide margin. Boomers have one worker doing 50 hours, millenials have two workers each doing 40+. If you exclude the wife as a worker since she's doing 0 hours, the boomers have 50 hours/worker, but that doesn't account for one partner just not having to work at all which would drag down the average by around a factor of 1/(2*percent of dual income housholds). 75% of of families were single earner in 1960 and vs 40% today, and mothers have nearly doubled their labor force participation since the 70's and that doesn't count the mothers who do gig work since they aren't counted in labor force statistics.

The only way boomers win in hours worked is if you purposefully exclude the partner in single income families from the equation.

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2015/12/17/1-the-american-family-today/

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on Jun 17 2021 11:41am
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 17 2021 11:45am
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jun 17 2021 12:40pm)
Oh, in that case millenials win by a wide wide margin. Boomers have one worker doing 50 hours, millenials have two workers each doing 40+. If you exclude the wife as a worker since she's doing 0 hours, the boomers have 50 hours/worker, but that doesn't account for one partner just not having to work at all which would drag down the average by around a factor of 1/(2*percent of dual income housholds). 75% of of families were single earner in 1960 and vs 40% today, and mothers have nearly doubled their labor force participation since the 70's and that doesn't count the mothers who do gig work since they aren't counted in labor force statistics.

The only way boomers win in hours worked is if you purposefully exclude the partner in single income families from the equation.

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2015/12/17/1-the-american-family-today/

no, what im saying is on an individual level its 50 vs 40+. Millenials dont work more, millenial couples work more. This is due to increased costs and decreased pay, which you're spot on about.

the central question is does an individual worker in modern times, who works, face more or less hours on the job than their boomer counterpart. that's what im aiming to isolate. as i think its a more clear statement than the muddy answer with housewives, chore sharing, and longer commutes.
Jun 17 2021 11:50am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 17 2021 12:45pm)
no, what im saying is on an individual level its 50 vs 40+. Millenials dont work more, millenial couples work more. This is due to increased costs and decreased pay, which you're spot on about.

the central question is does an individual worker in modern times, who works, face more or less hours on the job than their boomer counterpart. that's what im aiming to isolate. as i think its a more clear statement than the muddy answer with housewives, chore sharing, and longer commutes.

What metric you want to isolate depends on what you are trying to show. Specifically the picture that was posted that I originally responded to Painted older Generations as pushing the stroller for the younger Generations. However on a per-person basis the younger Generations are working more and getting paid less so that picture is clearly inaccurate
Jun 17 2021 11:56am
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jun 17 2021 12:50pm)
What metric you want to isolate depends on what you are trying to show. Specifically the picture that was posted that I originally responded to Painted older Generations as pushing the stroller for the younger Generations. However on a per-person basis the younger Generations are working more and getting paid less so that picture is clearly inaccurate

indeed i'd agree that on a generational basis the younger generation is carrying the weight, and will shift even moreso to taking on the burden of boomers as time passes.

in terms of the individual worker, i'd argue that most jobs today are less time clocked in and less stressful than say 50 years ago. its just that stresses outside of the job millennials face, specifically financial stresses, are far worse. i'd still not choose to teleport to the 1960s, buy a house on entry level salary, and go through college working 10 hours a week bussing tables.
Gold: 50,062.31
Jun 17 2021 12:09pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jun 17 2021 05:27am)
Thats pretty dumb. Millennials are working longer hours for less pay than boomers at the same age.

You comparing one generation with another is a lot dumber. It’s like comparing an orange with an apple. Their lives are vastly different and that is a fact. That meme is not as dumb as you may think.
Jun 17 2021 12:13pm
Quote (pwb3 @ Jun 17 2021 01:09pm)
You comparing one generation with another is a lot dumber. It’s like comparing an orange with an apple. Their lives are vastly different and that is a fact. That meme is not as dumb as you may think.

I find it absolutely hilarious that you are going to post that Meme and then tell me that comparing Generations is dumb.

I'm going to say something as a statement of fact and not as a judgment on your character. You are exceptionally dumb. That's fine, you can still have a happy life and you can still be a productive member of society, but I think you'll have a better life if you understand your own limitations.
Jun 17 2021 12:16pm
This post is a violation of the site rules and appropriate action was taken.

Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jun 17 2021 11:13am)
I find it absolutely hilarious that you are going to post that Meme and then tell me that comparing Generations is dumb.

I'm going to say something as a statement of fact and not as a judgment on your character. You are exceptionally dumb. That's fine, you can still have a happy life and you can still be a productive member of society, but I think you'll have a better life if you understand your own limitations.

Cool story bro. Do whatever you need to do to keep your boat afloat, kiddo. Retards can throw out words like “fact” all they want but it wouldn’t change the fact that they’re still retarded. I really don’t care what a retard (you) think of me. Cheers!
Jun 17 2021 12:22pm
Quote (pwb3 @ Jun 17 2021 01:16pm)
Cool story bro. Do whatever you need to do to keep your boat afloat, kiddo. Retards can throw out words like “fact” all they want but it wouldn’t change the fact that they’re still retarded. I really don’t care what a retard (you) think of me. Cheers!

Considering your response was to rant about how I'm retarded... Seems you care a lot.
Jun 17 2021 12:27pm
Quote (pwb3 @ Jun 17 2021 01:16pm)

dassa lot of r words.
Jun 17 2021 12:35pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jun 17 2021 11:22am)
Considering your response was to rant about how I'm retarded... Seems you care a lot.

If that is all it takes for you to come with that conclusion, I guess it seems you care a lot as well. ^_^
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1456845694570457145725001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll