d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > Official Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Thread
Prev1520521522523524688Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,059.01
Warn: 10%
Dec 18 2018 09:05pm
Quote (Hako @ Dec 17 2018 07:55pm)
Didn't the Ravens say they want to do right by Flacco and trade him to wherever he wants to go?

If that's the case, you really think we're going to trade for him and pay him $26.5m he's set to make next season? We're already -$ going into next season and still have to eat Bortles' contract, which will be around $16m.

It's not going to happen lol.

They’re gonna trade Bottles contract for a draft pick
Gold: 14,000.00
Dec 18 2018 09:23pm
Quote (Cheesehead @ Dec 18 2018 06:54pm)
I was honestly happier about Lewis coming to GB over Graham, but it became such a rare thing for him to enter the game that even the fans noticed it.

https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/1074679632287465472?s=19

Imagine Aaron Jones with a lead blocker like that for most of the season? :Drool:

Season almost over? Lets finally use Lewis and let him do what he does. Who would have thought lololol.

That comments on that tweet are gold

Quote (Adverb @ Dec 18 2018 07:05pm)
They’re gonna trade Bottles contract for a draft pick

Well we did get a 6th round pick for Gabbert... I guess anything is possible.

This post was edited by Hako on Dec 18 2018 09:23pm
Gold: 3,059.01
Warn: 10%
Dec 18 2018 09:33pm
Quote (Hako @ Dec 18 2018 11:23pm)
Season almost over? Lets finally use Lewis and let him do what he does. Who would have thought lololol.

That comments on that tweet are gold

Well we did get a 6th round pick for Gabbert... I guess anything is possible.

Jags will trade their second round pick with Bortles I mean, to dump his contract. Like the Texans did with Assweiler a couple seasons ago
Gold: 79,366.46
Dec 18 2018 09:42pm
Quote (Hako @ Dec 17 2018 06:55pm)
Didn't the Ravens say they want to do right by Flacco and trade him to wherever he wants to go?

If that's the case,you really think we're going to trade for him and pay him $26.5m he's set to make next season? We're already -$ going into next season and still have to eat Bortles' contract, which will be around $16m.

It's not going to happen lol.

That's his cap hit if he's on our roster. The team who trades for Flacco would not have to worry about his prorated signing bonus cap hit. So, assuming no restructuring, his cap hit would be:

2019: $18.5m
2020: $20.25m
2021: $24.25m

Which is on par with the average yearly salary of other mediocre starting QBs these days (compare to Keenum, Dalton, Tannehill, Bortles...).

I mean, I'm not saying Flacco would be worth trading for at that salary, just saying it's not 26.5m.

/and the team who trades for him could extend or restructure that first year to lower the cap hit if they want or need to.

This post was edited by Terps on Dec 18 2018 09:43pm
Dec 18 2018 10:11pm
Quote (Adverb @ Dec 18 2018 07:33pm)
Jags will trade their second round pick with Bortles I mean, to dump his contract. Like the Texans did with Assweiler a couple seasons ago

Nope, I don't see that happening. It's easy to clear up the money to release Bortles straight up. Cutting Church and eventually Malik Jackson will be enough. Ideally we'd trade Malik, but his time is done here for sure. I think they'll restructure Campbell and Dareus' contracts as well.

This team needs help at OL, TE, WR and obviously QB. I think they draft a QB, sign a cheap Veteran to go along with Kessler and the PS QB Tanner Lee.

We have 5 picks(two 3rds) in the first 4 rounds. They shouldn't be trading any of those picks, unless they're moving up in the draft to make sure they get the top QB. We'll see where we officially end up in the draft in a couple weeks. Draft is Defense heavy at the top though, so we'll likely be able to just stay put.

I think its got to be QB, then OL/TE and TE/OL in the first 3 picks. Unless they see a WR as a true #1, I don't see how it can't be some sort of QB, OL and TE going 1 2 3. Then maybe a WR with that second 3rd round pick and another OL at the top of the 4th.
Dec 18 2018 10:17pm
Quote (Terps @ Dec 18 2018 07:42pm)
That's his cap hit if he's on our roster. The team who trades for Flacco would not have to worry about his prorated signing bonus cap hit. So, assuming no restructuring, his cap hit would be:

2019: $18.5m
2020: $20.25m
2021: $24.25m

Which is on par with the average yearly salary of other mediocre starting QBs these days (compare to Keenum, Dalton, Tannehill, Bortles...).

I mean, I'm not saying Flacco would be worth trading for at that salary, just saying it's not 26.5m.

/and the team who trades for him could extend or restructure that first year to lower the cap hit if they want or need to.

Ok, but it's still a lot to pay for an average at best QB, like you said. We'd be better off just keeping Bortles and not wasting another draft pick in a trade.

We're best off to just take the gamble and draft a QB high. Will be far cheaper with the possibility of striking gold. If the coaching staff doesn't change much more and Marrone etc stays in place. Then the Offensive scheme isn't going to change much next season, so it's not like they'll be asking a shit ton from a rookie anyways.
Dec 18 2018 10:32pm
Quote (Hako @ Dec 18 2018 11:17pm)
Ok, but it's still a lot to pay for an average at best QB, like you said. We'd be better off just keeping Bortles and not wasting another draft pick in a trade.

We're best off to just take the gamble and draft a QB high. Will be far cheaper with the possibility of striking gold. If the coaching staff doesn't change much more and Marrone etc stays in place. Then the Offensive scheme isn't going to change much next season, so it's not like they'll be asking a shit ton from a rookie anyways.

Being objective, Flacco would be marginally better as a passer than Bortles (probably make less mistakes), but Bortles is a better overall QB because of his mobility.

Flacco pretty much needs a great OL and running game to be a capable starter these days, otherwise he's going to resort to using terrible mechanics, stare-down his first receiver, get sacked, throw picks, and get injured. Plus Flacco seems to fail to make basic pre-snap reads for whatever reason. He's never been a particularly studious QB though, so that's not really surprising.

I don't think trading Flacco would cost more than a 6th or 7th though, and that's if he's even traded. I could see them releasing Flacco as a thank-you for the things he's done for the franchise (a courtesy you didn't see Jerry Jones offer to Romo lol). Or I could see all of this being a moot point with Flacco just retiring because he's a boring family man who probably doesn't want to leave the area to play half-assed QB for some non-contending team. He's lived his whole life in the MD/PA/NJ area and he's made a lot of money; he could just be content with what he's done.
Gold: 100.00
Dec 18 2018 10:35pm
Quote (Terps @ Dec 18 2018 11:32pm)
Being objective, Flacco would be marginally better as a passer than Bortles (probably make less mistakes), but Bortles is a better overall QB because of his mobility.

Flacco pretty much needs a great OL and running game to be a capable starter these days, otherwise he's going to resort to using terrible mechanics, stare-down his first receiver, get sacked, throw picks, and get injured. Plus Flacco seems to fail to make basic pre-snap reads for whatever reason. He's never been a particularly studious QB though, so that's not really surprising.

I don't think trading Flacco would cost more than a 6th or 7th though, and that's if he's even traded. I could see them releasing Flacco as a thank-you for the things he's done for the franchise (a courtesy you didn't see Jerry Jones offer to Romo lol). Or I could see all of this being a moot point with Flacco just retiring because he's a boring family man who probably doesn't want to leave the area to play half-assed QB for some non-contending team. He's lived his whole life in the MD/PA/NJ area and he's made a lot of money; he could just be content with what he's done.

I see this throw around alot, it is pretty rare for anyone to feel that way
Dec 18 2018 10:37pm
Quote (Waifu @ Dec 18 2018 11:35pm)
I see this throw around alot, it is pretty rare for anyone to feel that way

Flacco is your ideal family man. The dude has like 6 kids with his only wife. I think he just retires healthy and content with being a multi-millionaire and SB MVP Champion.
Gold: 100.00
Dec 18 2018 10:42pm
Quote (Terps @ Dec 18 2018 11:37pm)
Flacco is your ideal family man. The dude has like 6 kids with his only wife. I think he just retires healthy and content with being a multi-millionaire and SB MVP Champion.

Wow, kinda unfair rivers gets all the credit. I figured he was a family man from what little exposure I had of him, but now my dad has another team to cheer for
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
Prev1520521522523524688Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll