d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > Krembanan's Windforce With Faith Rouge Guide > PvM
12320Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,258.00
Nov 24 2006 05:57am

1.Intro
2.Goals
3.Stats
4.Equipment
5.Skills
6.Merc
7.Strategy

INTRO
Windforce is an old favorite for many, but with the introduction of the Faith many players have abandon this olden goldie of a bow. This is a little attempt on taking the Windforce out of the closet and brush the dust of it, because this is the bow with the highest maximum damage and almost only for that reason alone it deserves some credit.

GOALS
Keywords for a Amazon wielding a Bow are: Speed, Dexterity and Damage. So the goals are to reach the fastest IAS breakpoints and the highest damage on a bow.

STATS
Strenght: As Low As Possible
You will get strenght from anni, torch + items so it is vital that you dont put more than necessary here.

Dexterity: The Rest here
Dex equals damage for a Bowamazon, and you want ofcourse as much damage as possible. The rest of your points here.

Vitality: Nothing
Many players prefer to put some points here for the comfort. In my opinion that is not needed; First of you want your points to go into dex for more damage. Secondly you are a PvM Bowamazon, that means you are ranged attacker, so you dont get hit much, you Valkyrie are gonna take the hits + you will get enough vitality-pts from your anni and torch.

Energy: Nothing
If you put any points here, your amazon is broken, which means you have to rebuild her.

EQUIPMENT
Weapon: Windforce
This you must socket with a Shael rune to reach the wanted breakpoint. 8% mana leech is ofc best, but you will to just fine with 6 and 7 also.

Armor: Fortitude
There is only one option here and that is the lovely Fortitude runeword. 300% enhanced damage alone makes this the best option + you also get life, resists and defense from lvl 15 Chilling Armor and 200% enhanced defense. Just lovely.

Gloves: Laying Of Hands
Here you have more options. The most important thing here is that the gloves have 20IAS. You got the magic gloves like +3bowskills/20IAS and +3passive/magic skills/20IAS. The +bowskills aint gonna help you damage, so if these are the ones you have go for the +3passive ones. You also have the rare gloves with +2pass/magic/20IAS or +2bow/20IAS with mods like +dex, +str, resist and life/mana leech. Here also go for the ones with +2passive/magic/20IAS +mods. But the best gloves PvM is without a doubt Laying of Hands, gloves from The Disciple-Set. These babies give not only 20IAS, but also +350%damage to demons. And when hell is filled with demons, the result gives itself and you also get a nicely 50% fire resist. And these you can trade for some pgs.

Belt: Razortail
For PvM the skill Pierce is incredible powerful, and Razortail belt gives you 33%pierce. That means you can only get 100% with this belt around your waist. And you get other goodies like 10 to max damage and 15 dexterity to boost your damage even further up. Other option is to use Nosferatus coil, it gives slow target, life leech, str and 10IAS, if you use this you can socket the Wf with a 40ed/15IAS and still reach the last breakpoint. But overall pierce is more powerfull than this.

Boots: Gore Rider
There arent any boots that are dedicatet to amazons, so here you have some options. Wartravelers are a good choice, gives 10 str so that you have 10 more pts to put in dex and gives 15-25 damage. The rare boots option that are almost good enough to compete with the uniques should have 30%FRW, triple res etc. For this build, its not the best wayto spend your wealth. The third option are Gore Rider. The mods here are very good for a bowazon, 30%FRW, open wounds, crushing blow and a little deadly strike, these makes these boots the best choice in my opinion. This is much debated, so you might want to try them both to what you think is best.

Amulet: Atmas Scarab
There are 3 main options for you amulet. The Cats Eye gives dexterity, FRW and 20%IAS. Highlords Wrath is also a popular choice with the IAS, skill, light resist and Deadly Strike, but you dont really need these mods in this build. There are only one option here for a PvM Bowama, and that is the Atma's Scarab. The Amplify Damage will remove the physical immune and give your killing speed and power a great boost. The amulet doesnt look like much, but when you equip it on your Amazon you will experience it and love it.

Helm: Andariels Visage
You will need a helm that gives you IAS. There is a very expensive magic Tiara with 30%FRW and 3 sockets. This you socket with 40ed/15IAS jewels, but the helm alone will cost you more than all other equipment on your char, and this is mostly used as a PvP ama helm. A cheaper alternative is to use Mavina Set helm socketed with a IAS jewel with some nice mod like maybe resist, min dam or low ed. The middle way with the costs are the unique helm Andariels Visage. This gives you 30 str,(meaning more pts in dex for you) 20IAS, life leech and +2skills. The downpart with this is the -30%fire resist, but a jewel with 15%IAS/30% fire resist should take care of that. The must here is the ias jewel.

Rings: Ravenfrost/Rare Ring
The 'cannot be frozen' is deadly important for a bowama, a frozen ama is a dead ama. And the 20 dex on the Raven gives damage. This makes a Ravenfrost a must on almost any kind of Amazons. The other ring is more debated. A second Raven is a fine choice, Bul Kathos is a ok ring with life leech and skill, allthough +skills dont really do you that much good as in other chars. Other unique rings isnt gonna help you much. The rare rings do have better mods. You will want a ring that gives damage aka dex. You will appriciate a ring with high life leech, +dex, +str and maybe some resists.

Weapon On Switch Harmony
This cheap and nice runeword gives you level 10 Vigor, this makes you run alot faster. It also gives you more points in Valkyrie, so its useful also for prebuff some levels higher Valk.

Charms: Anni/Torch/Max-AR-FRW
Here you have the usual unique charms where the perfect ones are 20/20(/10), but this will ofc cost alot. Aim for the best Anni and Torch available for you. For other charms to boost you damage is not bowskillers, but grand charms with the mods 14to max damage/AR. These will cost you a years pay, so this aint a option for the common user. But you have the normal gc's with 10max/AR/FRW-FHR-life has a much more friendly price. In these I prefer FRW as the third mod. Because as said before life aint for you, you are a amazon. That means speed in attack and speed in running. So the best choice here would be 10/ar/frw. For small charms you have the 3max/ar/frw for damage, another good option is to have sc's with 11%light/fire resist/3%frw. I recommend try both ways with the sc's, and see whats suits you the best.

SKILLS
Strafe 20 pts
Maybe one of the funniest skills in the game, almost like a machine gun. Fire and watch your arrows fly away. Downpart is the strafelock, means when you have fired one time, you will be locked untill you have fired all the arrows in the round. But it takes notime to master it. It will be your main skill, max it.

Multishot 5 pts
The debate on strafe vs multi have been going on since the year 2000 and still continues, but the truth is that both are best used with combined when PvM. You will learn to appriciate this skill in areas like Cow level and Chaos Sanctuary. 5 pts here is enough, your +skills will boost this high enough, too much here and it will drain to much mana out of you.

Valkyrie 11-20 pts
This is a skill I like to max, because its your only shield and defense. So why not make it the highest possible. You can also have her up to lvl 17 after +skills, in that way she will have the best items available. Your choice.

Penetrate 1-20 pts
This is also a skill I personally like to max. It gives AR, meaning higher chance of hitting you target. If you are going for FA/CA you might not wanna max this.

Pierce 3 pts
This will give you 69% chance of your arrows flying though the monsters and hitting the monsters behind, after the +skills. This + the belt Razortail gives you 102% chance. That will result in all your arrows will pierce. In PvM this is almost a must with a Bowama.

Critical Strike 1-10 pts
When Critical triggers, you will do double damage. But after lvl 16 it will give you diminishing return. So 16 soft points here is the maximum recommended.

Guided Arrow 1 or 20 pts
This is the skill with the highest damage for a bowamazon. But its also a 1-point wonder skill. This will be your main boss killing skill, and you either put one point or 20 here, depending on wether you are going the FA/CA path.

Freezing Arrow 1-20 pts
This is a great skill vs the physical immune monsters. You will have Atmas Amulet that will be effective, so its your choice. But if you decide to put skills here, dont max Guided Arrow, its better to invest them here then.

Cold Arrow 1-20 pts
Synergy to Freezing Arrow, gives more damage. This should be the last skill to place your points.

Dodge/Avoid/Evade 1 pt
Many would like to put some points in the defensive skills like Dodge, Avoid, Evade. But in my experience PvM, you will do just fine with 1 point and let the +skills boost them up. There are other skills you want before these when taking PvM.

Decoy 1 pt
After a while of using this skill, you will find it very useful to combine with Valkyrie. Especially if you are killed and want run back after your body. It doesnt last that long, but long enough.

Prereqs 1 pt
As normal, only 1 in prereqs.

MERC
Weapon
The build depends on having a Faith on the merc, and the important thing here is to remember that the A1 Rogue is not an Amazon. So she cant use a Grand Matron or a Matriarchal Bow. You want this merc for two things: 1.The Fanatism Aura 2.Freeze you enemies. That means you need a A1 Cold Arrow Rogue, and since its you that is doing all the damage you want her to be the fastest she can be. The fastest non-ama bow is The Great Bow and a 15%ed would be your best choice here. The most important thing with the Faith is that it has lvl 13 or more. If not you will not reach your breakpoint with your Windforce.

Helm/Armor Eth Andariels Visage/Eth Fortitude
The are two things you want here: IAS and Life Leech. And the beaty with Rogues is that they hardly ever dies, you may spend the occasional rev pot but thats all. The armor and helm you must choose after your faith bow, because if it has lvl 13 fana your merc needs 32%IAS and if it has lvl 14/15 she needs 30%. IAS and ll helms you have Mavina Helm, Vampire Gaze and maybe the best combined with the Fortitude is a IAS-socketed Eth Andariels Visage. All these are nice options.
For armors you could use Skin of the Flayed One, Greyform, Twitchthroe, Treachery runeword and maybe the best, but most expensive choice Eth Fortitude. The best cheap alternative imo is Crown Of Thief Helm and Crow Caw Armor, it gives your Rogue life leech, IAS, FHR and open wounds.

STRATEGY
The challenge many players new to the Amazon face, is the low life. And will die alot more than experienced Amazons. This requires practise in the way of positioning yourself and almost equal important how you are positioning your Valk and Decoy. One tip here is to summon your decoy in front of you when moving forward in unknow terrain, this will make the monsters attack it and reveal themself for you. Also you could shoot out, in the unknown terrain, one strafe round to see if you get strafelocked. If you do, then you have time to get your Valkyrie upfront. Other than that, just roam around and have fun:)

I hope you enjoyed the reading and see appriciates this little guide of mine.
Any feedback and comment are welcome.

KremBanan
Gold: 50.00
Nov 24 2006 07:09am
i believe you would be doing more dmg with an upd buriza bow
Gold: 6,151.00
Nov 24 2006 09:36am
just a few things i wanted to comment on:

- i won't really delve deep into your gear options because they're somewhat standard but just wanted to say that while ATMA'S is a great amy for the amplify dmg, it ONLY really works well with strafe; if you use multi most of the time this is NOT the amy to use, because CTC amp will only be triggered on two middle arrows and amp radius is very low

- war travs are a definite choice of boots here, this is without doubt icon_pointr.gif 15-25 dmg is added to your base bow dmg (charms with max dmg) so in the end you will have an improvement of something like 300 dmg; i would strongly recomment not to use gores for PVM

- charms: why do you recommend max/ar/frw charms ??? this are clearly PVP charms which you don't need, fill your inventory with 20 lifers instead (or max/ar/life)

- you said "1-20 into penetrate" but i say "20 into penetrate" icon_pointr.gif unlike faith, WF doesn't add massive ar bonuses so you need all the ar you can get

- and lastly i would go with 1 pt into freezing arrow (for crowd control), as maxing both skills is a waste of skillpoints (FA drains tons of mana at higher levels and you will use it against physical immunes which are well... unleechable so gg potting)
Nov 25 2006 12:45am
-Yes I know Amp triggers with the two middle arrows with Multishot. If you play 'correctly' with a bowama you will use both skills and not just one of them.

-Wartravelers vs Gores in PvM is always debateable. That was why I recommend trying both and see what you think works best for you. Imo at higher levels(90+), I kill faster with Gores.

-Why I recommend 10/ar/7frw? It just gives you an extra edge. Imo its a waste to fill your inventory with 20life scs in a bowama. You are a ranged attaker PvM with strong Valk. You dont get hit much at all and you will leech life very fast, so no need for lots of life scs.

-As written in the guide, I also prefer to max Penetrate.

-1pt in Freezing Arrow is a good option for crow control yes.

Thank you for your input.

Regards,
KremBanan
Gold: 31.00
Nov 25 2006 01:00am
ahh...windforce zon, my very first character on d2, what is your damage with this set up?
i recall something like 500-7300~ with guided

oh could you hit the last bp wth this setup?...the one that makes you attack as fast as the standard faithzon?

This post was edited by DonnyL on Nov 25 2006 01:03am
Gold: 8,579.58
Nov 25 2006 04:57am
Man, haven't played bowa for a while now, lol. Nice guide, giving options with different items and letting ppl choose for themselves.

Couple of things:
1) I do prefer Enigma, yes i lose out with the resistences, but I gain with 45% frw. I use my Valk to hold monsters at bay while I move into a position to Strafe them.
2) Believe it or not, but Nats boots are actually very good to use as well.
3) 2x 220+ar/20dex Ravens for more ar and dmg
4) Amn the hydra, when doing PvM you will need some form of Life leeching, with all your ias you forgot one major thing, Bosses with Aura's that take away your life while you are in their radius, so no matter how fast you are, you will die because you have little life, so you will need some returning factor.
6) Crafted Gloves: +2Passive, 20ias, Knockback & some other mods! These are very good to use, you may not get the benefit of the 50% fire resis or the 350% ed to Demons, but the skill and knockback becomes your best friend.

These are only what I think, and your guide fits you and other ppl as well. So your guide is very good indeed.
Nov 25 2006 05:44am
Quote (DonnyL @ Sat, 25 Nov 2006, 08:00)
ahh...windforce zon, my very first character on d2, what is your damage with this set up?
i recall something like 500-7300~ with guided
oh could you hit the last bp wth this setup?...the one that makes you attack as fast as the standard faithzon?

I do 7k damage with this build and yes, the last breakpoint is hit with this build.

Quote (izParagonzi @ Sat, 25 Nov 2006, 11:57)
Couple of things:
1) I do prefer Enigma, yes i lose out with the resistences, but I gain with 45% frw. I use my Valk to hold monsters at bay while I move into a position to Strafe them.
2) Believe it or not, but Nats boots are actually very good to use as well.
3) 2x 220+ar/20dex Ravens for more ar and dmg
4) Amn the hydra, when doing PvM you will need some form of Life leeching, with all your ias you forgot one major thing, Bosses with Aura's that take away your life while you are in their radius, so no matter how fast you are, you will die because you have little life, so you will need some returning factor.
6) Crafted Gloves: +2Passive, 20ias, Knockback & some other mods! These are very good to use, you may not get the benefit of the 50% fire resis or the 350% ed to Demons, but the skill and knockback becomes your best friend.

1.Enigma is ofc good for the FRW and strenght, but compared to Fortitude its nothing for bowama. +2skill doesnt do you much good, teleport is veery slow for a amazon. Fortitude gives Damage and nice life and resists.
2.Nat gives good FRW and nice resist. But it falls short compared to the damage you get from either Wartravelers or Gores
3.Two Ravens is ok to use for this build, as I said in the guide
4.Amn in the Wf? You have life leech from Andys Helm and maybe a rare life leech ring. And if you Amn the Wf, you will not reach the last Multishot/Guided breakpoint, which is extremely good to reach.
5.Those gloves will be very good for PvP, this is PvM though. +2passives is ofc ok, 20IAS is a must. But you dont need knockback, since you get that from the Windforce. That means the 350ed from LoH wins by far.

Thank you for feedback

This post was edited by KremBanan on Nov 25 2006 05:45am
Gold: 6,151.00
Nov 25 2006 06:28pm
Quote (KremBanan @ Sat, Nov 25 2006, 06:45am)
-Yes I know Amp triggers with the two middle arrows with Multishot. If you play 'correctly' with a bowama you will use both skills and not just one of them.
even with strafe, amplify is not that useful, because knocback on wf knocks back so much it pushes monsters out of amplify range in many cases (yes, amp radius is indeed that low), while this works on tight packs, it fails on single monsters and fails on large packs

-Wartravelers vs Gores in PvM is always debateable. That was why I recommend trying both and see what you think works best for you.
this is not debatable at all, for PVM, wt >>> gores

Imo at higher levels(90+), I kill faster with Gores.
placebo

-Why I recommend 10/ar/7frw? It just gives you an extra edge.
why bother with harmony then?

Imo its a waste to fill your inventory with 20life scs in a bowama. You are a ranged attaker PvM with strong Valk. You dont get hit much at all and you will leech life very fast, so no need for lots of life scs.
i wonder how you survive 1 hit kills
Gold: 0.00
Nov 25 2006 09:51pm
i like this alternative pvm build, sounds good
Nov 26 2006 03:38pm
[QUOTE=KremBanan,Sat, Nov 25 2006, 06:45am]-Yes I know Amp triggers with the two middle arrows with Multishot. If you play 'correctly' with a bowama you will use both skills and not just one of them.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Leohappy,Sun, 26 Nov 2006, 01:28]even with strafe, amplify is not that useful, because knocback on wf knocks back so much it pushes monsters out of amplify range in many cases (yes, amp radius is indeed that low), while this works on tight packs, it fails on single monsters and fails on large packs[/QUOTE]
Have you actually tried Atma Amulet? When you encounter physical immune monsters, you can stand quite a distance from them and still amp will trigger on them. And when it comes to knockback, it works 100% against small monsters, 1/2 on monsters your size and only 1/4 against big monsters. So this does that they dont get pushed out of the amp-radius.

[QUOTE=KremBanan]
-Wartravelers vs Gores in PvM is always debateable. That was why I recommend trying both and see what you think works best for you.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Leohappy,Sun, 26 Nov 2006, 01:28]this is not debatable at all, for PVM, wt >>> gores[/QUOTE]
That argument was good. Now I also see that Wts >>Gores.. NOT. The thing about Gores whivh makes them better imo, is the Open Wounds. At higher level this will do more for you than the damage from wts. Extra Deadly Strike is also good ofc and some Crushing Blow doesnt hurt, even if its nerfed for ranged attacks.

[QUOTE=KremBanan,Sat, Nov 25 2006, 06:45am]
Imo at higher levels(90+), I kill faster with Gores.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Leohappy,Sun, 26 Nov 2006, 01:28]placebo[/QUOTE]
Ofc when you look at charscreen you will notice that there is a higher damage with Wts. But when you have tested both in practical use, you will notice faster killing with Gores.

-Why I recommend 10/ar/7frw? It just gives you an extra edge.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Leohappy,Sun, 26 Nov 2006, 01:28]why bother with harmony then?[/QUOTE]
Harmony is also good for Prebuffing Valkyrie. And this build doesnt 'need' any weapon on switch. For example CTA would do you very little because you dont have(or need) much life. Harmony is just the best option.

Imo its a waste to fill your inventory with 20life scs in a bowama. You are a ranged attaker PvM with strong Valk. You dont get hit much at all and you will leech life very fast, so no need for lots of life scs.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Leohappy,Sun, 26 Nov 2006, 01:28]i wonder how you survive 1 hit kills[/QUOTE]
LOL. I would be very interesting to know how ANYONE can suvive a 1 hit kill.

This post was edited by KremBanan on Nov 26 2006 03:42pm
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
12320Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll