d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Low Level Dueling > Short Guide To Staffmods
12Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 10.41
Jan 23 2008 02:15pm
Ive often seen people looking for LLD items that are either extremely rare, or not possible at all, but they don't realize it, well this will save you some time, first ill say there is more to it than this, but this is the gist of it.

thx goes to Perserker[pvp] for inspiring this with this latest post on the subject

Quote (Perserker[PvP] @ Wed, Jan 23 2008, 01:54pm)
show me those weapons!

€: you need +3 hs and +3 smite on them too, else they suck.

Staffmods are +class skills that spawn on certain items(scepters, wands, staves, orbs, barb helms, druid pelts, assassin claws) not to be confused with automods which are +javelin skills for amazon class javelins, poison damage on necro heads, resistances and enhanced damage on paladin shields.

Staffmods are designated with "tiers" based on their lvl requirement to use:

Tier I skills=lvl 1 required skills
Tier II skills=lvl 6 required skills
Tier III skills=lvl 12 required skills
Tier IV skills=lvl 18 required skills
Tier V skills=lvl 24 required skills
Tier VI skills=lvl 30 required skills

Now, that being said, Tier I skills will never spawn together with Tier V or Tier VI skills on the same item, Tier II skills will never spawn on the same item with Tier VI skills.
Ill use a druid pelt as an example: this pelt is not possible, only an example

+3 raven
+3 summon grizzly

Staffmod restrictions:

Some potential staffmods are restricted for the specific item in question, the most common example of this is the skill Holy Shield spawning on scepters, Holy Shield has itypea1=shld, since shields do not have staffmods, it is not suppose to spawn on an item as an individual +skill, however if the game fails to select a staffmod skill for an item six consecutive times, the seventh skill selected will be placed on the item, regardless if it is normally possible or not, which is how we get Holy Shield scepters. Some other skills that share this same problem:

Poison Dagger
Smite
Double Swing
Stun
Double Throw
Leap Attack
Concentrate
Frenzy
Whirlwind
Berserk

So, it IS possible for these skills to spawn as staffmods, but is quite rare, and unless you are extremely patient and have alot of wealth to throw around for one, don't get your hopes up on finding them on an item any time soon. Hope this helps some people, and if you know of something I missed, by all means add to this.
Gold: 234.06
Jan 23 2008 02:17pm
heart.gif
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 40%
Jan 23 2008 02:20pm
"spawn on certain items(scepters, wands, staves, orbs, barb helms, druid pelts, assassin claws)"

+helms, shields, gloves for +combat skills, shadow disciplines, martial arts, bow, and jav skills.
Jan 23 2008 02:24pm
pretty useful smile.gif
tyvm for info's.

now im guna go read about mate choice in Virgin and experienced quails (interesting).

if anyone's interested i can give a brief summary biggrin.gif
Jan 23 2008 02:24pm
Quote (ClanBK @ Wed, Jan 23 2008, 03:20pm)
"spawn on certain items(scepters, wands, staves, orbs, barb helms, druid pelts, assassin claws)"

+helms, shields, gloves for +combat skills, shadow disciplines, martial arts, bow, and jav skills.

nice catch, forgot those, but those aren't really automods or staffmods tho, I guess they would be something else altogether, or just a regular item modifier
Gold: 100.00
Jan 23 2008 04:36pm
Quote (user-name @ Wed, Jan 23 2008, 08:24pm)
nice catch, forgot those, but those aren't really automods or staffmods tho, I guess they would be something else altogether, or just a regular item modifier

they are the same as +1/2 skills for a character. you'll get them via an affix. thats a difrent story. dont mix em up wink.gif

edit: nice guide. allot of people will learn from this. I'll put it @ the upcomming new guides sticky

This post was edited by Hellskin on Jan 23 2008 04:40pm
Gold: 2,255.00
Jan 23 2008 08:54pm
another part of this is the required ilvl for an item to get certain tiers of staffmods.

you see people make this mistake most often with vlld pally scepters. say you have a lvl 9 sac'r and you want a gozu scepter so you say ur iso a 3 sac 3 defiance 15% sup 5 soc ws. max sockets you could get on that scepter would be 3 because to spawn with tier 1 skills that scepter has to have under ilvl25 (ilvl= lvl of the monster that dropped the item). and to recieve max sockets you have to have an ilvl 25 or higher item. you see this with people looking for 3 bash 3 xx mastery 3 soc barb helms as well.

if you need the parts added in about what ilvl an item has to be for each tier to spawn, i know where there is a copy of that kept, thanks to either gheed or knarl iirc
Jan 23 2008 09:06pm
Quote (bigspot_05 @ Wed, Jan 23 2008, 09:54pm)
another part of this is the required ilvl for an item to get certain tiers of staffmods.

you see people make this mistake most often with vlld pally scepters. say you have a lvl 9 sac'r and you want a gozu scepter so you say ur iso a 3 sac 3 defiance 15% sup 5 soc ws. max sockets you could get on that scepter would be 3 because to spawn with tier 1 skills that scepter has to have under ilvl25 (ilvl= lvl of the monster that dropped the item). and to recieve max sockets you have to have an ilvl 25 or higher item. you see this with people looking for 3 bash 3 xx mastery 3 soc barb helms as well.

if you need the parts added in about what ilvl an item has to be for each tier to spawn, i know where there is a copy of that kept, thanks to either gheed or knarl iirc

sure add by all means, and thx for adding this part, also great info to have smile.gif
Gold: 117.00
Jan 23 2008 10:43pm
nice guide chris
Jan 24 2008 12:35am
i got a staph infection once.
Go Back To Low Level Dueling Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic