d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo > Diablo 4 > D4 Discussion > Question About Season 4 Notes
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.98
Mar 26 2024 01:38pm
Quote (mooks @ Mar 26 2024 01:00pm)
Ffxi had an auction house and players able to go idle and trade things for x amount of currency and that was like 2007

As did perfect world international (by far one of the greatest mmos ever made until it became p2w)
Gold: 7,649.00
Mar 26 2024 04:30pm
Quote (C4NTWO @ Mar 26 2024 01:49pm)
lol, seems a bit unfair to hold a 20+ year old game to todays standards no? i wonder if people tought it was garbage in 2001... :bonk:
and remove trading? youre clueless as to what makes a game last.

but youre starting to come around and seemingly ready to admit the current state of d4 is garbage, lol
d2 will always be > d4. no one will be playing d4 in 20 years from now.

u dont need to wait 20 yrs :=)

game allready feels empty , played for 1 hour .. if ive seen like 10 ppl its a lot .=)
Gold: 1,100.00
Mar 26 2024 06:02pm
Quote (C4NTWO @ Mar 26 2024 06:49am)
lol, seems a bit unfair to hold a 20+ year old game to todays standards no? i wonder if people tought it was garbage in 2001... :bonk:
and remove trading? youre clueless as to what makes a game last.

but youre starting to come around and seemingly ready to admit the current state of d4 is garbage, lol
d2 will always be > d4. no one will be playing d4 in 20 years from now.

I know D4 is boring right now that's why I haven't played since season 1 but I do plan on playing in season 4 unless PTR goes really really bad.

Yes, I'd rather there be no trading than to have trading that essentially forces you to tab out of the game.

Quote (mooks @ Mar 26 2024 12:00pm)
Ffxi had an auction house and players able to go idle and trade things for x amount of currency and that was like 2007

One of the coolest implementations of trading that I've ever seen was in a game called Knight Online (a Turkish MMO I played nearly 2 decades ago) when you're done playing for the day you teleport to town, find a spot where people are likely to run by you, and set up your shop.
It was really cool seeing everyone in town in their decked out gear repping their guilds and selling crazy items in their shop, a lot of people put their prices at 99999999999 just to show off their incredible finds.

IMO a big part of ARPGs and MMOs alike is to show off all the crazy gear you've worked hard to get so I think it's actually quite crucial to design a system which supports this and sadly I believe almost all ARPGs are really dropping the ball here.
Gold: 1,000.00
Mar 26 2024 11:55pm
Quote (Crossed @ Mar 26 2024 05:02pm)
I know D4 is boring right now that's why I haven't played since season 1 but I do plan on playing in season 4 unless PTR goes really really bad.

Yes, I'd rather there be no trading than to have trading that essentially forces you to tab out of the game.

One of the coolest implementations of trading that I've ever seen was in a game called Knight Online (a Turkish MMO I played nearly 2 decades ago) when you're done playing for the day you teleport to town, find a spot where people are likely to run by you, and set up your shop.
It was really cool seeing everyone in town in their decked out gear repping their guilds and selling crazy items in their shop, a lot of people put their prices at tel:9999999999999999999999[/URL] just to show off their incredible finds.

IMO a big part of ARPGs and MMOs alike is to show off all the crazy gear you've worked hard to get so I think it's actually quite crucial to design a system which supports this and sadly I believe almost all ARPGs are really dropping the ball here.

Ffxi had the same thing. You described it better than me of being able to idle and logout in places with a lot of foot traffic and sell / brag. Also had a real economy with a single currency that didn’t get ruined for 20 years.
Gold: 466.97
Mar 27 2024 01:27am
Quote (Crossed @ Mar 26 2024 05:02pm)

It was really cool seeing everyone in town in their decked out gear repping their guilds and selling crazy items in their shop, a lot of people put their prices at 99999999999 just to show off their incredible finds.

i used to play a game called RYL which had those player shops too. i think around 2005~

i used to setup my shop before i went to bed, wake up and be like oh my goodness look at all this gold! loved that feeling.

i actually have the full source for this game (well, return of warrior) all in c/c++. the crossM engine, network libraries, authserver, gameserver, etc it's a wild codebase

the item crafting in this game was kinda crazy. you could spend years making a good item to get AAA stats. and the item still wouldn't be complete. the item making process involved "item fusers" iirc, where you'd get a stat on one item really high, and then xfer that stat's VALUE over to your main base item. and you'd do this over and over again... to eventually get a AAA statted item. pretty damn cool and a great system to incentivize and motivate players to farm gems, trade, etc.

it also made items have a great sense of value. if you saw a AAA item, you know there was a SHIT ton of work and time invested. like you said, even on this game, they'd show off their item in their stall at a max price too. good times.

edit: there was also item sockets and before you finally 'completed an item' you'd socket it with your gem of choice. man, the more i think about ryl's item design the more i love it. they also had a tetris inventory and combat felt so damn good.

This post was edited by ChocolateCoveredGummyBears on Mar 27 2024 01:48am
Gold: 22,095.00
Mar 27 2024 06:46am
Quote (Crossed @ Mar 26 2024 08:02pm)

simply allowing open trade + a self-found mode when creating a character would easily be the best of both worlds. again, i dont think you understand, or you do and are selfish, how much removing trading hurts player retention.
Gold: 1,100.00
Mar 27 2024 11:10pm
Quote (C4NTWO @ Mar 27 2024 05:46am)
simply allowing open trade + a self-found mode when creating a character would easily be the best of both worlds. again, i dont think you understand, or you do and are selfish, how much removing trading hurts player retention.

I don't think you understand how bad of a design it is to have players constantly tabbing out of your game in order to "play" it.

I'm not saying players shouldn't be able to trade, I'm saying there absolutely needs to be practical trade functionality inside the game and trading should be disabled until then.

Quote (ChocolateCoveredGummyBears @ Mar 27 2024 12:27am)
https://s.pacn.ws/1/p/d6/pa.237411.1.jpg

i used to play a game called RYL which had those player shops too. i think around 2005~

i used to setup my shop before i went to bed, wake up and be like oh my goodness look at all this gold! loved that feeling.

Hahaha I just watched a bit of gameplay for this on Youtube, that assassin run animation is pretty funny and that hellfire cyclone spell looks pretty badass.

I definitely remember that feeling of setting up my shop and waking up to mountains of gold, it felt so good.
Gold: 466.97
Mar 28 2024 02:23am
Quote (Crossed @ Mar 27 2024 10:10pm)
I don't think you understand how bad of a design it is to have players constantly tabbing out of your game in order to "play" it.

I'm not saying players shouldn't be able to trade, I'm saying there absolutely needs to be practical trade functionality inside the game and trading should be disabled until then.

Hahaha I just watched a bit of gameplay for this on Youtube, that assassin run animation is pretty funny and that hellfire cyclone spell looks pretty badass.

I definitely remember that feeling of setting up my shop and waking up to mountains of gold, it felt so good.

yah the combat back then was so fast paced vs the mmo target based buffoonery. it was such a breath of fresh air
Gold: 22,095.00
Mar 28 2024 06:22am
Quote (Crossed @ Mar 28 2024 01:10am)

i never said tabbing out was the solution you muppet... :bonk:
Gold: 8,247.00
Mar 28 2024 10:58am
Y’all good now with big rng.
Go Back To D4 Discussion Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll