d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > Help On Caster (dmg) Potential? As Pally
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 15,086.84
Mar 9 2024 09:52pm
My next reroll on pally I've been wanting to try caster (Dmg, not heal). I've only climbed with it twice on Mage during the feeder climbs, got a 100EE charm for lvl 55 and some "meh" leveling ones. Weapon/Armor are something like 32 int..COMBINED...

So obviously the gear is kinda down bad. My Melee climb gear is fine for a new/early player (had some helpful handouts and searched market 100x/day) but I REALLY like the idea of going pewpew w/ the charms.

My hope: "All Armor" on pally will open up either using a nice EE armor so my caster isn't squishy, or maybe finding a good deal on +Int on a weird base.

My worries:
- Obviously low base int.
- Could never figure out a good Vit #.
- Constantly swapping between mana and life regen gear.
- Never learned if I should go for Int on armor, or EE. (Not trying to dump my life savings on an armor with both)
- Is my 55 Charm even good, or am I trolling myself with "only" 100 EE?
- Used 2x Dmg charms in mage climbs for immune monsters. Apparently I'm supposed to use a heal one instead...but then wut about the immunes? Do I keep the 2nd dmg in inventory?

Sry this might be a kind of loaded "PLX HALP" post, but I've been living the melee life since it's felt SO much smoother than caster...but DARNIT I want to cast!

Any advice/tips on any of the worries is much appreciated!

This post was edited by Tonst3r on Mar 9 2024 09:54pm
Gold: 321.95
Mar 9 2024 10:19pm
To start with i would not cast pally unless you have some pretty solid caster gear, around 150ee+ for your charm and heal. (Personally i wouldn't cast pally unless climbing with a group that needs a caster/healer)
But you would want as high int as you could get for armor and Weapon. med/heavey armor would be better def than just a int robe.

Vit you really don't need maybe 10? If you are casting you should be able to heal yourself pretty easy.
As for the immunes you can keep the swap in inv or in vault and grab it out. ( dont need a really good swap i used to use a ~85ish ee swap or you could just use a mellee weapon for the immunes since you are pally.)
Pretty much want to put all your stats into intel. dmg charm in main slot and heal in acc slot, if having trouble healing you could try swapping these. ( heal in main slot dmg charm in acc )

With a ~100ee charm off casting is not going to be as "enjoyable" as the mage was imo.
Mar 9 2024 10:23pm
Quote (Spankyhaze @ Mar 9 2024 11:19pm)
To start with i would not cast pally unless you have some pretty solid caster gear, around 150ee+ for your charm and heal. (Personally i wouldn't cast pally unless climbing with a group that needs a caster/healer)
But you would want as high int as you could get for armor and Weapon. med/heavey armor would be better def than just a int robe.

Vit you really don't need maybe 10? If you are casting you should be able to heal yourself pretty easy.
As for the immunes you can keep the swap in inv or in vault and grab it out. ( dont need a really good swap i used to use a ~85ish ee swap or you could just use a mellee weapon for the immunes since you are pally.)
Pretty much want to put all your stats into intel. dmg charm in main slot and heal in acc slot, if having trouble healing you could try swapping these. ( heal in main slot dmg charm in acc )

With a ~100ee charm off casting is not going to be as "enjoyable" as the mage was imo.

Tyty! I figured it was a silly idea but this cleared up a lot of general caster questions I had as well. Much appreciated!
Gold: 20,039.48
Mar 10 2024 06:00am
oddly enough, paladin is actually a really good caster, if you consider the fact you'll want 55 vitality minimum of mage anyway, mage only has 5 more combined int + vitality.

Has also got access to much much much cheaper casting items, as an example a 50 int club should cost about 200 fg, whilst a 50 int dagger can cost 2k+
Similarly, a 50 int level 55 plate should go for about 100-200 whilst a 50 int robe is more like 10k

However, due to such low starting int, i'd highly recommend you put all stat points until about level 45 into intelligence, but then melee from level 1 to about 30, seeing your mana pool will be pretty low.
This will also allow you to heal yourself as needed.

If your axe/sword/club is also 100ee, then damage will actually practically be the same.
Mar 10 2024 11:59am
Quote (Bigheaded @ Mar 10 2024 07:00am)
oddly enough, paladin is actually a really good caster, if you consider the fact you'll want 55 vitality minimum of mage anyway, mage only has 5 more combined int + vitality.

Has also got access to much much much cheaper casting items, as an example a 50 int club should cost about 200 fg, whilst a 50 int dagger can cost 2k+
Similarly, a 50 int level 55 plate should go for about 100-200 whilst a 50 int robe is more like 10k

However, due to such low starting int, i'd highly recommend you put all stat points until about level 45 into intelligence, but then melee from level 1 to about 30, seeing your mana pool will be pretty low.
This will also allow you to heal yourself as needed.

If your axe/sword/club is also 100ee, then damage will actually practically be the same.

OOO ok yeah we're failing pally's current MQ today and gunna say f it and try it. Can always give-up and reroll later.

I did scoop up a 30+ int wep and armor last night for 35fg total since it was axe and scale. I would def be willing to spend more, but the market is very rough lately depending on the time of day.

If it ends up going well, I'll just post on ISO and pickup more decent 40-50s like you said. Excited to try it. Ty
Mar 10 2024 12:25pm
Quote (Tonst3r @ Mar 10 2024 05:59pm)
OOO ok yeah we're failing pally's current MQ today and gunna say f it and try it. Can always give-up and reroll later.

I did scoop up a 30+ int wep and armor last night for 35fg total since it was axe and scale. I would def be willing to spend more, but the market is very rough lately depending on the time of day.

If it ends up going well, I'll just post on ISO and pickup more decent 40-50s like you said. Excited to try it. Ty

looking at your gear which you're using for melee, i think you'll find casting to be similar if not better.
As i said in first reply, i very much recommend avoiding casting for the first 20 levels minimum though and probably better off waiting till level 30
Mar 10 2024 12:36pm
Quote (Bigheaded @ Mar 10 2024 01:25pm)
looking at your gear which you're using for melee, i think you'll find casting to be similar if not better.
As i said in first reply, i very much recommend avoiding casting for the first 20 levels minimum though and probably better off waiting till level 30

Yeah my best weapon is a dagger so only my death-rouge can use it lol. Keep searching the market but it's rough...search around here occasionally but it seems like there's either nothing or it's a 200% life-savings weapon.

Early melee totally fine, mana annoying until I have some Int anyway. You think 55 vit is OK (before sneaky) or should I go a bit higher since the gear will be mid-at-best? Ofc would be keeping eyes out for better gear on market/jsp throughout.
Mar 10 2024 06:39pm
Quote (Tonst3r @ Mar 10 2024 06:36pm)
Yeah my best weapon is a dagger so only my death-rouge can use it lol. Keep searching the market but it's rough...search around here occasionally but it seems like there's either nothing or it's a 200% life-savings weapon.

Early melee totally fine, mana annoying until I have some Int anyway. You think 55 vit is OK (before sneaky) or should I go a bit higher since the gear will be mid-at-best? Ofc would be keeping eyes out for better gear on market/jsp throughout.

got these hanging around, basically waiting for a reset before i unload onto the market
https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=102867494&f=273
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll