d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > How Amazon Shipped My 2.2k Nvidia Geforce Rtx 4090
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 95.60
Feb 11 2024 10:56pm
I shit you not, this is how Amazon shipped my $2.2k Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090. No packaging, air bags, foam, nothing. My graphics card has just been bouncing around this box the whole way here. Should I automatically return it? The rest of my new PC hardware gets here Wednesday so I can’t tell if it’s broken yet. Should I return it regardless in case it’s got some kind of longer term damage?

Gold: 9,664.00
Feb 12 2024 01:25am
Return that shit
Gold: 455.97
Feb 12 2024 08:02am
damn lol... i would at least try if i paid that much for a card. although they are packaged inside pretty good, that's inexcusable from the packer as those boxes get tossed like crazy. a lot of movement inside from that big ass box too

This post was edited by ChocolateCoveredGummyBears on Feb 12 2024 08:04am
Gold: 8,037.00
Feb 12 2024 10:20am
I believe in the toss and turn.
Gold: 535.68
Feb 12 2024 10:43am
Box looks damaged... i'd open it up to see if the inside box has good padding. I just bought a GPU off Amazon on Saturday too :cry:
Gold: 3,361.37
Feb 12 2024 10:47am
98% chance it's fine, unless you care about keeping the GPU box in pristine condition.
Gold: 95.60
Feb 12 2024 10:56pm
Update: Left seller feedback to explore refunding this. Looks like Amazon's taking responsibility, but still fuck this seller, as they're clearly graphics card scalping. How do I even verify this is truly a new card, just a visual review once I open it? Wish I would have seen that prior to purchase, my fault there. >_<

Also, do you guys know if this card is probably okay if it passes a stress test when I install it? Here's what ChatGPT 4 says on that, but taking that with a grain of salt:

Question to ChatGPT: I ordered a Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 from Amazon, who sent it to me in a too big box with no insulation, so it probably bounced around a lot. If I install this card and do some stress tests on it without issue, is there any probability of permanent damage that could occur later? Or does that mean it’s fine?

If your Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 arrived in packaging that seems inadequate, it's wise to be cautious. Even if initial stress tests don't reveal any issues, there could still be underlying damage that might manifest later. Here's why:

-Microscopic Damage: Stress tests primarily check for immediate operational issues. However, they might not detect microscopic cracks or soldering issues that could worsen over time.
-Thermal Cycling: Repeated heating and cooling during normal use can exacerbate minor flaws, potentially leading to failure.
-Long-Term Stability: Stress tests are short-term checks. They can't guarantee long-term stability or durability.

To be safer:

-Inspect Visually: Before installing, visually inspect the card for any obvious signs of damage.
-Monitor Performance: Even after successful stress tests, keep an eye on the card’s performance and temperatures over time.
-Keep Records: Document the condition in which it arrived, including pictures of the packaging and the card. This could be important if you need to make a warranty claim later.
-Consider Return/Exchange: If you have concerns, consider contacting Amazon or the manufacturer about a return or exchange, especially if there are visible signs of poor handling.

Remember, while stress testing is a good initial indicator, it's not a definitive assurance of long-term health for the hardware.

This post was edited by neosoph on Feb 12 2024 11:00pm
Gold: 6,071.69
Feb 12 2024 11:30pm
Quote (WWI @ Feb 12 2024 11:47am)
98% chance it's fine, unless you care about keeping the GPU box in pristine condition.

This

Also Amazon is usually strict when it comes to selling stuff on their site. Its most likely new, if it was used the seller would have probably used eBay to sell it.
Gold: 3,361.37
Feb 13 2024 09:30am
Quote (neosoph @ Feb 12 2024 09:56pm)
Update: Left seller feedback to explore refunding this. Looks like Amazon's taking responsibility, but still fuck this seller, as they're clearly graphics card scalping. How do I even verify this is truly a new card, just a visual review once I open it? Wish I would have seen that prior to purchase, my fault there. >_<

https://i.imgur.com/nM1J8tv.png

Also, do you guys know if this card is probably okay if it passes a stress test when I install it? Here's what ChatGPT 4 says on that, but taking that with a grain of salt:

Question to ChatGPT: I ordered a Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 from Amazon, who sent it to me in a too big box with no insulation, so it probably bounced around a lot. If I install this card and do some stress tests on it without issue, is there any probability of permanent damage that could occur later? Or does that mean it’s fine?

If it passes stress tests, you shouldn’t worry. There should be a manufacturer warranty on it too, just register the card.
Gold: 73,365.12
Feb 13 2024 12:29pm
I would return,

maybe it's fine - but for 2.2k I'd have higher standards.

Also if there is a problem, it's never going to be easier to deal with it than right now

better to be pre-emptive.
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll