d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Europe Farmer Protests
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,068.00
Warn: 10%
Feb 8 2024 11:41am
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ 8 Feb 2024 11:32)
Understood.

But do Americans really care?

We have our own problems with the sabotage of our food production on multiple fronts and the average American is blissfully unaware they think their food comes from Walmart, Costco, and McDonalds so yea the average American doesn't care.

They'll bitch about inflation but they won't even start a basic food garden/ chicken coop/ anything like that. So you are right to a certain extent that's for sure.
Gold: 4,575.01
Feb 8 2024 11:48am
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Feb 8 2024 09:32am)
Understood.

But do Americans really care?

Yes, there are a large group of American citizens who are concerned about future food security in the face of oppressive and regressive government overreach done under the cloak of 'climate change'.

Man-made famines orchestrated by communist regimes are not an irrational fear, there are numerous instances of historic precedent (Holomodor and China to name a couple).

Restrictions on farmers are no different. Communist regimes always come for the farmers first, and many Americans are concerned that this is a canary in the coal mine.
Gold: 127,298.50
Feb 8 2024 11:53am
Quote (El1te @ Feb 8 2024 05:48pm)
Yes, there are a large group of American citizens who are concerned about future food security in the face of oppressive and regressive government overreach done under the cloak of 'climate change'.

Man-made famines orchestrated by communist regimes are not an irrational fear, there are numerous instances of historic precedent (Holomodor and China to name a couple).

Restrictions on farmers are no different. Communist regimes always come for the farmers first, and many Americans are concerned that this is a canary in the coal mine.

These are farmers complaining among other things of losing subsidies. Many of these people are millionaires that get state subsidies just for owning fallowed land.

Personally I think you are conflating different issues.
Feb 8 2024 12:23pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ 8 Feb 2024 11:53)
These are farmers complaining among other things of losing subsidies. Many of these people are millionaires that get state subsidies just for owning fallowed land.

Farmers would have to sell most of their land to achieve that "millionaire" status. They'd also sacrifice the small amount of money they make off crop yields?

Most farmland is passed down generation to generation and so a lot of their wealth has to do with that. Generational wealth. Not "making bank" off selling corn? Most don't even own their farm equipment they "lease it" and they hire farm hands to work their land.

Your family holding the same parcel of farmland for 100+ years should make you a millionaire but even that's not the case.

I live in the middle of the corn belt and farmers can't get the same yield they did 20 years ago and now they use far more pesticides too(droughts/flooding literally destroy more and more every season)

Every part of the process cost more money to the farmer you wouldn't see "millionaire farmers" protesting if it wasn't the case.

A lot of it's on principle too not "money".

Imagine whatever your profession is and then imagine an international body comes to your door and says you can't do what you've been doing your whole life because we need to "save the planet".

Control the worlds food supply control the world.

I guess food inflation doesn't go hand and hand with that? Conflating issues? Please elaborate.

Gold: 4,575.01
Feb 8 2024 12:34pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Feb 8 2024 09:53am)

I don't think the issues are being conflated, they are directly related.

Profitability for the farmers is key - if they can not profit, they no longer farm, and then there is no more food for anybody. Subsidies & proper government support is necessary here.

Your sentiment here that many of these farmers are worth millions & receive subsidies (Kulaks) is precisely the same as the sentiment that the Chinese & Bolshevik revolutionaries had towards their farmers - which directly led to man-made famines. Anti-farmer sentiment is inherently anti-food sentiment, which translates into pro-famine sentiment. I understand that famine isn't the goal of most of the people pushing this stuff (though it is for a minority of malicious anti-conservative far leftists) but famine is the guaranteed consequence of such actions & regulations.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/europe-farmers-protests-grievances-1.7101704

This article on CBC that I found (they have some coverage here) mentions grievances which are directly related to fears of man-made famine -

The largest farmers' groups in the EU say environmental regulations imposed by Brussels, and overregulation in general, are undermining the profitability of crops.

Also hurting the bottom line is the high cost of fertilizers and fuel, which has sharply increased since Russia invaded Ukraine two years ago.

Farmers have also denounced what they consider to be unfair foreign competition.

In Poland, disgruntled farmers protested in major cities last month to draw attention to competition from neighbouring Ukraine, which has been granted special wartime export regulations.

EU farmers overall have been struggling to compete in the increasingly globalized economy, with the movement of goods and services supported by several free-trade agreements the EU has signed in recent years.

Artificially raising the cost of fertilizer & fuel under the guise of climate change is government persecution of farmers, which drives up the cost of food, which if left unchecked leads to famine.
Feb 8 2024 12:54pm
Quote (SwamiVivekananda @ Feb 8 2024 06:23pm)
Farmers would have to sell most of their land to achieve that "millionaire" status. They'd also sacrifice the small amount of money they make off crop yields?

Most farmland is passed down generation to generation and so a lot of their wealth has to do with that. Generational wealth. Not "making bank" off selling corn? Most don't even own their farm equipment they "lease it" and they hire farm hands to work their land.

Your family holding the same parcel of farmland for 100+ years should make you a millionaire but even that's not the case.

I live in the middle of the corn belt and farmers can't get the same yield they did 20 years ago and now they use far more pesticides too(droughts/flooding literally destroy more and more every season)

Every part of the process cost more money to the farmer you wouldn't see "millionaire farmers" protesting if it wasn't the case.

A lot of it's on principle too not "money".

Imagine whatever your profession is and then imagine an international body comes to your door and says you can't do what you've been doing your whole life because we need to "save the planet".

Control the worlds food supply control the world.

I guess food inflation doesn't go hand and hand with that? Conflating issues? Please elaborate.

So if farming is such a raw deal. Sell the land and be a millionaire?
Something doesn't add up.

I grew up next to an active farm and the owner did exactly that. He only sold maybe 10% of his land and he is a multi millionaire.

This post was edited by Prox1m1ty on Feb 8 2024 12:55pm
Feb 8 2024 02:02pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ 8 Feb 2024 12:54)
So if farming is such a raw deal. Sell the land and be a millionaire?
Something doesn't add up.

I grew up next to an active farm and the owner did exactly that. He only sold maybe 10% of his land and he is a multi millionaire.

Once again you are from the UK and property value by you is probably 10x-100x what it in comparison to farmers in other countries per/acre.

I just googled it and the UK is the size of Oregon and Alaska is 7x bigger then the UK.

Do you really think the value of land in rural America is MORE then the UK? Come on bro let's do some basic math.

You think someone buying farmland for millions of dollars is going to "farm" that land. No. They are going to throw up a mansion on that land.

My backyard is a farm I'm surrounded by farmers. Here's the catch. People buying farmland here are buying it to build entire neighborhoods and so they(farmers) get offered absurd amounts of money.

A single acre of "farmland" in the suburbs of Chicago is 660k but you could buy 100 acres down south in Illinois for that price...it's all about "proximity" .

You live in the UK one of the richest per square foot places to live outside places like Abu Dhabi/Hong Kong/Hawaii/etc. so yea your farmers are going to make a killing when they sell their land?

Where were we going with this? :bouncy:
Feb 8 2024 02:05pm
Quote (SwamiVivekananda @ Feb 8 2024 08:02pm)
Once again you are from the UK and property value by you is probably 10x-100x what it in comparison to farmers in other countries per/acre.

I just googled it and the UK is the size of Oregon and Alaska is 7x bigger then the UK.

Do you really think the value of land in rural America is MORE then the UK? Come on bro let's do some basic math.

You think someone buying farmland for millions of dollars is going to "farm" that land. No. They are going to throw up a mansion on that land.

My backyard is a farm I'm surrounded by farmers. Here's the catch. People buying farmland here are buying it to build entire neighborhoods and so they(farmers) get offered absurd amounts of money.

A single acre of "farmland" in the suburbs of Chicago is 660k but you could buy 100 acres down south in Illinois for that price...it's all about "proximity" ^Prox1m1ty.

You live in the UK one of the richest per square foot places to live outside places like Abu Dhabi/Hong Kong/Hawaii/etc. so yea your farmers are going to make a killing when they sell their land?

Where were we going with this? :bouncy:

We are talking about European farmers. French and German in particular.
Feb 8 2024 02:15pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ 8 Feb 2024 14:05)
We are talking about European farmers. French and German in particular.

Thanks for the update Scotch :rofl:

You are the one who said you live by farmland and they are all millionaires? I told you why they were? Proximity.

Every farmers a millionaire!!!!-------Prox1m1ty(yea if your an hours drive from London/Manchester/Liverpool/Edinburgh) 1 million dollars an acre I just looked it up(so yea your opinions biased)

We're talking about French and Germans only? What about the Dutch? The Spaniards? The Italians?

edit: Let me reiterate you live in one of the richest per acre countries on the planet so yea when a farmer sells some of his land he's a millionaire :bonk:

edit2: So farmers who farm their own land to survive and make the SMALL amount of money they do are being fucked over by a big international body but because someone you know sold their land for millions of dollars every farmer must be just as lucky? That's patently false?

This post was edited by SwamiVivekananda on Feb 8 2024 02:27pm
Feb 8 2024 02:54pm
Quote (SwamiVivekananda @ Feb 8 2024 08:15pm)
Thanks for the update Scotch :rofl:

You are the one who said you live by farmland and they are all millionaires? I told you why they were? Proximity.

Every farmers a millionaire!!!!-------Prox1m1ty(yea if your an hours drive from London/Manchester/Liverpool/Edinburgh) 1 million dollars an acre I just looked it up(so yea your opinions biased)

We're talking about French and Germans only? What about the Dutch? The Spaniards? The Italians?

edit: Let me reiterate you live in one of the richest per acre countries on the planet so yea when a farmer sells some of his land he's a millionaire :bonk:

edit2: So farmers who farm their own land to survive and make the SMALL amount of money they do are being fucked over by a big international body but because someone you know sold their land for millions of dollars every farmer must be just as lucky? That's patently false?

German and French farmers are protesting. Is that in someway unclear?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll