d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Investment & Finance > Curious What Jsp Has To Say About My Finances
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,453.85
Mar 23 2024 10:44pm
Quote (ZeaLORDeaL @ Feb 1 2024 10:41am)

That's a scary yield to expect any kind of growth from. 4% is a pretty reasonable yield to expect from a blue chip with growth, like a bank stock. But that's $333 a month off 100k.

But they could cut their dividend at any time. It's less often with an established bank, maybe, but the danger is always there and if your existence depends on dividend money coming in every month, it's extremely risky and stressful.

I bought General Electric about 7 years ago. Back then they had an attractive dividend and I thought that GE should be a safe bet. It was one of the oldest names on the New York stock exchange. I thought nothing could go wrong. But a few months in, they cut their dividend into the ground and the stock price also plummeted. So I was forced to hold the shares otherwise I would be selling at a loss. And I waited for 7 years. During this entire time, I got barely any money coming in. I would have starved if I had banked on this money supporting me.
Gold: 40,918.12
Mar 23 2024 11:39pm
Quote (JessiWan @ Mar 23 2024 09:44pm)
But they could cut their dividend at any time. It's less often with an established bank, maybe, but the danger is always there and if your existence depends on dividend money coming in every month, it's extremely risky and stressful.

I bought General Electric about 7 years ago. Back then they had an attractive dividend and I thought that GE should be a safe bet. It was one of the oldest names on the New York stock exchange. I thought nothing could go wrong. But a few months in, they cut their dividend into the ground and the stock price also plummeted. So I was forced to hold the shares otherwise I would be selling at a loss. And I waited for 7 years. During this entire time, I got barely any money coming in. I would have starved if I had banked on this money supporting me.

I'm Canadian,

The big 5 Canadian banks have never cut their dividend, ever, lol
Gold: 1,453.85
Mar 24 2024 07:23am
Quote (ZeaLORDeaL @ Mar 23 2024 10:39pm)
I'm Canadian,

I am canadian too.

The big 5 Canadian banks have never cut their dividend, ever, lol

This is how people felt about Nortel, too. But look how it turned out.
Gold: 0.95
Warn: 10%
Mar 25 2024 06:41am
Quote (ChocolateCoveredGummyBears @ Feb 1 2024 05:03am)
maybe throw 1k on ninjatrader or multicharts with amp broker, and scalp /MES futures. can probably bring home 1k a month if you just scalp a tiny bit a day ($40-50~) and stop. stop after you're losing too as you'll never win 100%. don't over trade, better to stop and wait another day

ninjatrader is free now but takes bigger fees. but their chart trader is free with it unlike before, and it's really powerful.

multicharts has a chart trader too, bit more difficult to setup however

could also just go the regular way of simply using the buy/sell market buttons lol. especially the first 10 minutes during market open, the movement is insane

Ignore this clown. 97% of individual day traders consistently lose money.
Gold: 455.97
Mar 25 2024 06:59am
Quote (NMMNG @ Mar 25 2024 05:41am)
Ignore this clown. 97% of individual day traders consistently lose money.

sounds like a personal problem
Gold: 6.37
Mar 26 2024 07:08am
Why are you paying extra on your mortgage (%4) when you have credit card debt (%17)?

step 1 work more and make more money
step 2 cut bills and expenses where you can
step 3 put all extra money towards credit cards
step 4 once credit cards are paid of save enough cash to Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance.

You may be able to sell the first house and take the profit and Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance. Get most or all of your money back and do it again.
Go Back To Investment & Finance Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll