d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Car Audio > Vw Automotive Help Maybe?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,690.56
Jan 22 2024 06:40am
This post is not necessarily car audio.. I am wondering if there are any vw mechanics or hobbiests on here that frequently wrench on VW? I try and complete as much work that i am able to on my own, as it saves A LOT of money - and i am more than capable of doing the tasks i have taken on.

My wife picked up her 2018 vw tiguan comfortline 4Motion TSI (used); literally the day before Lockdown happened.. 2 weeks into ownership, we started having a plethora of electrical issues. no accidents on the carfax, picked it up with about 38,000 km on it, and just rolled 170,000 last night. She works in private healthcare, (PSW) and needs/uses the vehicle to get between clients homes, and shuttle clients to doctors appointments.

since the second week of ownership the most frequent code as to my obd2 scanner reads is P0202 (misfire cyl 2). over the past year i have noticed and taken corrective action on a PLETHORA of other problems. I've had this vehicle to my local VW dealership 9 times now.. and they keep telling me that they cannot replicate the problems i am having. 9 times i have had a FULL systems diag scan done. and nothing.. $400-600 per visit... its just getting to be too much...

after running it for an hour or more straight, shut off and start again within half hour it throws the EPC warning and puts it into limp mode while driving.. (not safe while on a major highway doing 100+km/h). i have left my BT scanner plugged in, and installed the app for it on my wifes phone, so she can quickly clear the code - typically the p0202.. It throws this code more in eco or normal modes, and less frequently in sport mode.

i have completed the following:

- all recalls are completed
-new plugs
-new coils
-new battery
-carbon clean (walnut blast)
-cleaned the MAF
-new air filter x2
-new front struts and springs (both sides, as BOTH springs broke in the EXACT same spot (no mfr recall on this) which led to a series of other repairs)
-front passenger side bearing
-front ball joints
-front passenger side drive shaft
-front drivers side inner tie rod
-4 wheel alignment
-sourced quite a few ground points and tightened them ( think im missing a few more )
-tightened ground on drivers side seatbelt airbag sensor
- replaced passenger seat as the pressure sensor for airbag was buried too deep in the seat
-installed a curt 2" trailer hitch - for cargo flat, and bike carrier ~ still need to find the wiring harness, as there were 3 different ones produced during this manufacturer year?
-replaced windshield as a crack appeared out of nowhere starting from the top of drivers side corner A pillar
-oil changes every 5-8k with full synthetic
- computer flash and re-program 3 times

problems im still trying to source and or correct;

-rotors and pads to be changed in the next few months ( ive been lazy, and awaiting warmer weather sine its been on average -10*c here the past month)
- may have to replace both rear brake calipers (i will check this when i go to do the winter to summer tire swap)
-front daytime running lights (front passenger side side marker and LED strip under the headlamp bulb), have been working when they want to ( i believe this is a ground fault, but have not been able to source or trace the ground point) ...I am assuming it is a common ground point which is affecting both
-while driving 80-100+km/h we get random display warnings; "do not exit vehicle until in park"
- possibility of having the main wiring harness replaced - to see if this would correct the p0202 code
- need to figure out which of the 5 coolant sensors is now throwing a "coolnt flow low" warning

this VW will be the LAST one i have my name tied to.. had a lot of problems with my last VW 2014 Passat; and got rid of it within 3 months of purchase, due to too many problems.

wondering if anyone would have any insight or further suggestions as to how to further source or trace primarily the running lights, and the P0202?

thanks in advance.

This post was edited by Canadian_Born on Jan 22 2024 06:43am
Gold: 0.00
Jan 22 2024 06:53am
Get the paperback repair manual from any part store. They include diagrams for every electrical system in the vehicle. With that and maybe $100 of tools (possibly a lot more, haven’t purchased tools in a long time) you can diagnose any electrical fault in a vehicle.

If this seems intimidating just remember DC current is a very simple thing to understand.

This post was edited by YeeHaw on Jan 22 2024 06:54am
Gold: 1,690.56
Jan 22 2024 07:21am
Quote (YeeHaw @ Jan 22 2024 07:53am)
Get the paperback repair manual from any part store. They include diagrams for every electrical system in the vehicle. With that and maybe $100 of tools (possibly a lot more, haven’t purchased tools in a long time) you can diagnose any electrical fault in a vehicle.

If this seems intimidating just remember DC current is a very simple thing to understand.

thanks but unfortunately no Haynes manual for this year/make/model that i have been able to source. the only ones i have been able to source are european, i require north america..
Jan 22 2024 07:37am
Quote (Canadian_Born @ Jan 22 2024 07:21am)
thanks but unfortunately no Haynes manual for this year/make/model that i have been able to source. the only ones i have been able to source are european, i require north america..

You can probably find something with an extensive google search or more likely VW forums. You have to keep in mind with this sort of thing that businesses lose a ton of money when people DIY basic things, so you generally have to turn to forums where people have experienced this before.

For example my wife’s Hyundai has a faulty brake light switch. Dash board shows ESC warning light and she was bugging out because it just so happens the alternator went at the same time, so she was all worried her car was falling apart. Once I noticed after installing the new alternator the light stayed on I looked into it and what do you know, forums show this is likely the brake light switch and as it turns out her brake lights are always illuminated when the car is running. $20 dollars and two bolts off and on. The manual doesn’t even mention this will trip the ESC warning light.

This post was edited by YeeHaw on Jan 22 2024 07:37am
Gold: 1,508.00
Jan 29 2024 09:51pm
Im an Audi technician by trade. Lot of DNA shared with VW and we have a sister VW dealership. I can probably help ya out somewhat.
Mar 22 2024 03:38am
For the running lights, checking the ground connections and inspecting the wiring harness might help. As for the P0202 code, have you considered checking the fuel injector for cylinder 2?
Go Back To Car Audio Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll