d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Who Is Out Of Control
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 161.50
Jan 4 2024 11:23pm
https://twitter.com/ChrisWickNews/status/1742894290211074205

WHO's Tedros: "Our food systems are harming the health of people and planet. Food systems contribute to over 30% of greenhouse gas emissions, and account for almost one third of the global burden of disease. Transforming food systems is therefore essential"

Here come the insects...

Did you know in London, Ontario they have the largest insect farms for pet grade food where they spoke of opening one for human consumption is probable?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/cricket-farm-london-ontario-1.6506606

The tin-foil hat wearers who spoke of this at length years ago were all wrong /s :)
Gold: 4,575.01
Warn: 10%
Jan 4 2024 11:57pm
"Transforming food systems" is a euphemism for mass famine, in which up to billions of people could die.

There were 2 guys that already tried this, their names were Joseph Stalin and Mao Zedong, and they killed over 100 million people.
Gold: 260.11
Jan 5 2024 01:46am
Alternate sources of protein have been an active area of research for decades because of how unsustainable our food production is. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when we have food system collapse unless we change drastically
Gold: 4,400.67
Jan 5 2024 09:10am
Quote (Thor123422 @ 5 Jan 2024 08:46)
Alternate sources of protein have been an active area of research for decades because of how unsustainable our food production is. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when we have food system collapse unless we change drastically

You know what also isn't sustainable in the long run? Neverending population growth on a fixed-size planet. The world would already have run into this problem half a century ago if not for the Green Revolution in which new farming techniques drastically increased the yield. Once the problem becomes more pressing again and more resources are funneled into the corresponding research, I expect new technological progress and productivity gains which alleviate (not: solve) the problem.

Also, isn't beef production alone responsible for an outsized share of the environmental and climate impact of meat production overall? If we just replaced beef with other sorts of meat, that alone would already cut emissions and acidification of soils by a lot.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jan 5 2024 09:11am
Gold: 10,655.00
Jan 5 2024 09:53am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 5 2024 10:10am)
You know what also isn't sustainable in the long run? Neverending population growth on a fixed-size planet. The world would already have run into this problem half a century ago if not for the Green Revolution in which new farming techniques drastically increased the yield. Once the problem becomes more pressing again and more resources are funneled into the corresponding research, I expect new technological progress and productivity gains which alleviate (not: solve) the problem.

Also, isn't beef production alone responsible for an outsized share of the environmental and climate impact of meat production overall? If we just replaced beef with other sorts of meat, that alone would already cut emissions and acidification of soils by a lot.

Back in 9th grade, the sociology teacher quoted studies that claim "by the year 2050, we will be able to feed only half the world's population".
Looks like those studies were fairly accurate.

Time to watch this old movie... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/

This post was edited by Ghot on Jan 5 2024 09:54am
Jan 5 2024 10:03am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 5 2024 09:10am)

Before is the worst offender but all meat is pretty inefficient.

Bugs are just so efficient it's kinda crazy we don't already use them in some capscity.

The human population as it exists is sustainable if we change how we do things. We could even go quite a bit higher. The big issue is that capitalism is not resource efficient. It is cost efficient, but most of the time that cost comes from having slaves mine your minerals, not from there being excess minerals in the ground above what we could ever use.

Lithium is another big one that we are poised to run out of. Basically all of the lithium for the next 50 years is accounted for. It's gonna be a very difficult time if we don't start recycling and being more sustainable in a BIG way.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jan 5 2024 10:55am
Jan 5 2024 10:13am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 5 2024 11:03am)
Before is the worst offender but all meat is pretty inefficient.

Bugs are just so efficient it's kinda crazy we don't already use them in some capscity.

You're aware our bodies can't digest/process chitin and it poisons us?
Jan 5 2024 10:42am
Quote (norseman81 @ Jan 5 2024 10:13am)
You're aware our bodies can't digest/process chitin and it poisons us?

I promise you I know more about chitin than you ever will. That biochem degree is worth something after all. It is digestible by humans in the same way plant starch is, and helps with gut flora as a source of insoluble fiber.

Chitin is just a modification of plant amylose with n-acetyl groups for added stability. It is not poisonous in any way. We know because in addition to being in bugs it's also in mushrooms and seafood.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jan 5 2024 10:43am
Jan 5 2024 10:43am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 5 2024 11:42am)
I promise you I know more about chitin than you ever will. That biochem degree is worth something after all.

Chitin is just a modification of plant amylose with n-acetyl groups for added stability. It is not poisonous in any way. We know because in addition to being in bugs it's also in mushrooms and seafood.

Hmm, maybe I just can't get behind eating insects where I prefer to cook a large piece of meet on the bbq. :)
Jan 5 2024 10:44am
Quote (norseman81 @ Jan 5 2024 10:43am)
Hmm, maybe I just can't get behind eating insects where I prefer to cook a large piece of meet on the bbq. :)

I love steak too, my freezer is full of ribeyes.

But this isn't an "if I can get behind it" thing. Meat production is unsustainable at current levels. If we don't willingly find substitutes we will scramble to find them when the system collapses.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jan 5 2024 10:44am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll