d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > User Blogs > Operation Kitten Rescuse
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 28,985.69
Nov 29 2023 02:25pm
So winters are beyond brutal and only the literal alphas of the cat worlds survive here.
I've found frozen kittens in places and get torn up about it everytime I find them near my house.
It's harsh for them. With not much time left this is my attempt to rescue 3 kittens and the mama I've seen wandering around my yard at night.

It all starts with this video. I was wondering what type of animal this was in the middle of the night, even going out to check if it needed help but it dissapeared.
Still was not sure what it could have been, I thought it was a baby racoon at first. Did not look like a kitten to me.

Visiting the steps
https://i.imgur.com/mjovQxp.mp4

Scurrying away
https://i.imgur.com/CBJkDD0.mp4

This post was edited by lolkggz on Nov 29 2023 02:26pm
Nov 29 2023 02:32pm
I was keeping an eye out while I was at home and even at work through my cameras.
I suddenly had the urge to make sure whatever this was that I figured out what it was.
I awoke one morning to find unfortunately my yard or under my porch was kinda dug up and it would seem something is living under it.
It's been that way before and I'm afraid to even take a flash light under there as it seems like a last resort and probably a pet cemetery under there.
I do always pay mind when I'm snow blowing to not cover it up as it seems like a decent shelter for the cold, but I can imagine the scene in there...
I confirmed though, awake one night I get an alert, 3 kittens and their mum, scurrying under my gate.

Confirming the visitor before was one of the kittens from the colors/tail.
Look at these soldiers! They do not know about the winters yet as it looks like their first year alive.
Though they do look plump and healthy, and might be able to be ready for the brisk winter.

Kittens scooting under the gate door.
https://i.imgur.com/jyQI5dV.mp4

This post was edited by lolkggz on Nov 29 2023 02:37pm
Gold: 91.69
Warn: 10%
Nov 29 2023 02:42pm
great work
Nov 29 2023 02:52pm
It wasn't too cold yet, I felt no need to rush the shelter or intervene with their lifestyle right away.
2 weeks later we got a surprise cold snap, snowed about a quarter inch and dropped temps very fast.
Temps at night down to single digits + wind chill.
Cameras catch Mom and only 2 kittens, I have not seen all of them together since the 8th of Novemeber.
Something has happened to one of the tiny soldiers, be it by another animal or by the cold I fear he is lost or gone forever.
I do believe it was the one that visited the first night, which I tried to help but could not find.

I am unable to upload videos anymore for some reason so pictures will do.

The third one never follows or shows up with them.

This post was edited by lolkggz on Nov 29 2023 02:54pm
Nov 29 2023 03:09pm
I have built a shelter 2 nights ago, a big cardboard box, some very thick insulation from my attic and wrapped it in mesh to keep the fiber glass away from them. I wrapped the box in a giant leaf bag and pinned it to the box, filled in the left over spots and secured the bag mor with black electircal tape. Even made a flap out of mesh to keep the opening kinda wind proofish.
Sealed any draft spots and made a very nice big cozy place for them to seek shelter, I will use an ramp and a table soon to give them some high ground but for now I want them to find it and make it their home.
So far only mom has visited at night, when my dogs are not around.

She has eaten in there every night, I have yet to see the kittens with her.
I hope she's just staking it out to make sure its safe for them, I left some cat treats and a big bowl of food for her every night so far.
Today was her first day visit. 11/29
I'm awaiting for her to bring the kittens if they are not gone.

Couple of concerns here that worry me,
1. she is eating and fulfilled and not hunting with her kittens.
2. The kittens are dead.
3. She will not show them to shelter.

This post was edited by lolkggz on Nov 29 2023 03:11pm
Nov 29 2023 07:39pm
I took a nap when I got home from work, nothing really changed then all of a sudden some alerts.
Looks like the babies have found the food, mom lead them to the shelter.
The white one is the life of the party, rolling around and play fighting with his sibling.
No intervention yet, just getting them used to the box.

Dec 1 2023 08:37pm
It's been 2 days with frequent visits, I fill there bowl but I've never seen it completely empty.
One of my dogs was let and out accidently chased off mama, I havent seen her in the back yard since yesterday before it happened.
I've decided the name of the white one it is Gizmo, and the black one is Chubs.
I will be refering to them as such from now on.

Temps have been okay, high 30's.
They will make it home when the chill sets in a bit more I assume.

Gizmo stopped by today after giving them some highground with a ramp/table just incase my dogs out oyut at the same time they are up there they can be okay and have a safe space.
Gizmo ate my trail of treat up the ramp and scurried away.

https://i.imgur.com/0m85adQ.mp4

This post was edited by lolkggz on Dec 1 2023 08:40pm
Dec 4 2023 09:29am
Been a couple nights now, mama hasn't came back since being chased by my Boston Terrier.
The kittens have been frequent visitors and have taken akin to the ramp I got for them and the table the box sits on.
They've been eating well and I even throw some treats in from time to time. I adjusted my camera to get a better shot of them coming in and out.
They seem to show up around 6:30pm - 8:30pm, and very early in the mornings 4:30am to 6:30am
It was a snowy cold night.
We get to see Chubs athletic ability in this video.

https://i.imgur.com/xp62vft.mp4

This post was edited by lolkggz on Dec 4 2023 09:43am
Go Back To User Blogs Topic List
Add Reply New Topic